Search for content in message boards

Obit lookup for accident on the river

Obit lookup for accident on the river

Lindsey (View posts)
Posted: 6 Nov 2003 10:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Leitner/Lightner
Looking for an obit for John A. "Jack" Leitner/Lightner who died August 18, 1878 "on the old river" in Sharkey County. He was a lumber cutter andmight have been killed somehow by sending the timber downstream. Hoping to find an obit. His estate was raised in Warren County as that is where he lived. There was a possiblity it wasn't an accident and he was murdered. He was 40 years old when he died.

He was cutting cypress trees In Camp at Auckland Plantation. Which I haven't been able to find the location of yet.

Thanks anyone.

Re: Obit lookup for accident on the river

Larry Wheeler (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jan 2005 11:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
I will reply to both your notes on this one. All Anglo cemeteries [except one small one] are on-line on the Sharkey County Roots Web page. I was born in Sharkey County many years ago and I am not familiar with the "Old River". I suspect that what they are referring to is this. The MS River changes course as it wills. More so previously than now. The old section of the river usually becomes a swamp or a lake. That section is then referred to by the locals as the old river, meaning where the MS River used to flow.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions