Search for content in message boards

Magoun burials in old Gordon Hill Cemetery, Exeter NH

Magoun burials in old Gordon Hill Cemetery, Exeter NH

John_Wesley_Gordon (View posts)
Posted: 10 May 2007 11:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Magoun Gordon
Photos of the Magoun stones have been added to Old Gordon Grave Stones at http://gordonsofmaine.com/id2.html
Simon Magoun d 1812 aged 75, Cynthia Magoun d 1831 age 23, George H and John C sons of Joshua and Martha Magoun, George W. d 1849 aged 49, fieldstone BM age 77

Re: Magoun burials in old Gordon Hill Cemetery, Exeter NH

Michael Peterson (View posts)
Posted: 14 May 2007 2:25AM GMT
Great looking web site John ! Thanks for sharing.
Mike Peterson

Annette_Bromley (View posts)
Posted: 17 May 2009 3:59AM GMT
Surnames: Magoon, Elliott, Place, Judd
Totally Cool. Thank you so very much. I'm planning a trip there this summer. Have you check the Congregational Church cemetery. I believe Henry, John and Alex Magoon are buried there next to the John Bean (LLBean family) plot. Iplan to check that out too and will share with you. Annette

scottmagoon1 (View posts)
Posted: 17 May 2009 1:12PM GMT
I have visited Exeter (my parents still live in NH) and talked to the Exeter Historical Society and they explained to me that Henry and his family if they are buried in Exeter we will probably never find their graves. They lived on the outskirts of town, probably due to religions reasons and were possibly buried on the family land. I didn't want you to make a trip for just that reason. The Exeter Society is very helpful, however they may not have any more information then you might already have. I did get a general idea of the area that Henry lived in and took a ride in that area. I took some pictures, and have a few maps, nothing old to show where exactly he lived. The Society gets a lot of questions about the Magoons and the Beans.

Scott

John_Wesley_Gordon (View posts)
Posted: 20 May 2009 8:25AM GMT
The Gordons were probably Catholics, as old Alexander fought on the Royalist side in the English Civil War. He was one of many Scot POWs sent to the New World as indentured servants. There's no record of the early Gordons attending Exeter churches, and Gordon Hill was well outside the village. I believe the community of ex-POW Scots probably all lived together to the west of town, and perhaps that's why a cemetery was started out there. The Exeter Magouns may have the same history.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions