Search for content in message boards

MacPHAILs from the Isle of Mull, Scotland

MacPHAILs from the Isle of Mull, Scotland

Robert MacPhail (View posts)
Posted: 28 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Oct 2009 10:45PM GMT
Surnames: MacPhails, McPhail
I am interested in any correspondence from those who are related to me or my family. My roots stem from the Isle of Mull,Scotland.Thanks!

MacPHAILs from Tiree, Scotland to Ontario, Canada

Robert MacPhail (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 6 Oct 2009 11:08PM GMT
Surnames: McPhail, MacPhail
It is with great hope that we can connect somehow in our searches of our ancestry.I receive your response with the hope of a lifetime,to communicate and record all the information I can to establish a tree of the people we are trying to join together.I must say I am only getting started in my search but I am truly thankful to find more of our namesakes doing the same.Most of my relatives I have so far found are from Cape Breton Island,Nova Scotia. Whenever I find out more I will keep in touch with births and dates of deaths,etc.Thanks again for your response,Robert MacPhail,and thanks to Donna Suarez as well.

Hector McPHAIL b. 1892 Tiree SCT s/o John MacPHAIL 1867-1940 & Flora MacLEAN 1863-1934; > Ontario CAN 1903

Heather Burrow (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 6 Oct 2009 11:07PM GMT
Surnames: McPhail, MacPhail, MacLean, Lamond, Lamont
My grandfather, Hector MacPhail (1892-1984), was born at Cornaigmore, Tiree to John MacPhail(1867-1940) and Flora MacLean(1863-1934). John and Flora and their family of six children emigrated to Perth County, Ontario, Canada in 1903. They settled near a cousin Malcom Lamond (Lamont). It is reported that the family could only speak Gaelic when they arrived. John's parents were Hector McPhail and Catherine Lamont, and my gr gr gr grandfather's name was John McPhail who was married to Flora McLean. I would also like to find McPhail relatives, possibly the McPhail's of Mull were connected to the McPhail's of Tiree.
Heather (McPhail) Burrow

Re: McPHAIL & McLEAN from Tobermory, Isle of Mull SCT > Ontario, Canada mid 1850s

@@LARAHALL@LYCOS.COM (View posts)
Posted: 12 Sep 2002 4:05PM GMT
Edited: 13 Sep 2002 3:42AM GMT
Surnames: McPhail, McLean, Richardson
Any McLeans or McPhails from Tobermory, Isle of Mull, Scot? My great great grand parents, Catherine McLean b abt 1825 m James Richardson b 1824, had 4 ch b Salen, Mull: James 1843, Neil 1844, Hector 1845, Donald 1848. 5 ch b Dundas,Ontario: John 1850, Alex 1853, Isabella 1859, Euphemia 1861, Kate 1862. Catherine's Parents were Neil McLean & Euphemina McPhail from Tobermory. Sister Mary m cousin Neil McLean ch: Murdock, Hector, Flora, Neil. I found all of them in Huron Co, ON in 1861 census. There is a great website for Mull with map. In "search" type "Isle of Mull Scotland". The island in loaded with McLeans & McPhails.

John Stuart MacPHAIL 1874-1918 from Glenbyre on Mull s/o Hugh, farmer - died in New Zealand

Moira MacPhail (View posts)
Posted: 17 Mar 2004 7:30AM GMT
Edited: 6 Oct 2009 11:11PM GMT
Surnames: MacPhail, McPhail
My branch of MacPhails come from Isle of Mull too. Am just starting to research but I know my grandfather, John Stuart MacPhail (1874-1918), came from Glenbyre on Mull. His father was Hugh, a farmer. Hugh's wife's name was possibly either Isa or Isobel. John MacPhail died in New Zealand. Any connections?

Re: McPhails from Tiree, Scotland to Ontario, Canada

jubiebell (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jul 2009 6:28PM GMT
Edited: 6 Oct 2009 11:09PM GMT
Surnames: McPhail, Cole
Hi Heather!
I am the granddaughter of Mary McPhail (Cole), sister of Hector. Today I have just gone through a pile of newspaper clippings that were given to my dad (John Cole) (he just passed away June 28) and was intrigued to try the internet. So happy that I found your posting. I am now really intrigued to learn more about them. Judy

Re: MacPHAILs from the Isle of Mull, Scotland

sheenamcphail7 (View posts)
Posted: 25 Nov 2009 1:44PM GMT
Surnames: McPhail
My family also come from Mull, on my fathers' side. I have traced them back as far as 1792 - Archibald McPhail - born in Salen on Mull. There are a lot of McPhail records available through the Mull Historical Society, and also a lot of different McPhail families from Mull at that time so it can be confusing.

Re: MacPHAILs from the Isle of Mull, Scotland

MaureenEdna (View posts)
Posted: 4 Dec 2009 4:33PM GMT
Edited: 5 Dec 2009 7:05AM GMT
Surnames: McPhail, McLauchlan
My family come from Isle of Mull.on the 1891 census my family were living at 4 Gilmour St,Govan,Glasgow,Lanarkshire

Alex McPhail age 57 occupation Driller at shipbuilding born Salem,Argyleshire.
Janet McPhail age 53 born Tobermory,Argyleshire
Archibald Son age 17 occupation Fleshers apprentice born Govan,
Alexander Son age 15 occupation Groom born Govan

The marriage certificate for Alexander McPhail & Janet McPhail (nee McPhail)dated 29/11/1870 in the district of Barrhead,county of Renfrew.
Alexanders parents Malcolm McPhail & Jane McLauchlan.
Janets parents Archibald McPhail & Catherine
Any one out there with connections.

So it certainly gets more complicated when they all have the surname McPhail.

Re: McPhails from Tiree, Scotland to Ontario, Canada

tireeisle (View posts)
Posted: 5 Mar 2010 12:34AM GMT
Surnames: McPhail, McLean, Lamont (Lamond)
I just found your post tonight, and I so am glad to hear from you Judy. I remember seeing you once at your grandmother's in Russelldale, probably in the 1960's. I think I was around 10 years. I remember Aunt Mary very well, and every time I drive past Russelldale, I see the stone house. My aunt Lillian lives near Roys Cemetery, where the McPhails are buried.

I have lots of information about the McPhail and McLean families of Tiree, and am happy to share it with you.

Please contact me, through mail_for_heather@yahoo.ca

Heather Burrow
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions