Search for content in message boards

John B. Tournear

John B. Tournear

Debbie Nicholson (View posts)
Posted: 17 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Tournear, Lierly
I am looking for information on John B. Tournear and wife Catherine Lierly Tournear. They lived near Liberty Township in Adams Co. John B. was from France and a bodyguard to Napoleon. He died 2 Feb 1875. He married Catherine Lierly. Catherine died 15 Feb 1863. they are buried in the Lierly Cemetery near Kellerville. Also would like information on their son Prosper Tournear(1842-1909) He is buried in the Coats Cemetery in Liberty Illinois.

Prosper Tournear

pamela creighton (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: TOURNEAR, BAUGHER
My direct line is through Mary Jane Baugher, sister of
Mahala Mildred Baugher who wed Prosper Tournear in
1862, Adams Co. I will gladly share info!

John B. Tournear

djotto128 (View posts)
Posted: 10 Aug 2003 11:30PM GMT
Edited: 24 Aug 2004 6:52PM GMT
My direct line is from George Riley Tourney, son of George, son of Jean-Baptiste and his first wife in France. Any information on John B. Tourney would be appreciated.

Re: Prosper Tournear

zoegracie (View posts)
Posted: 12 Aug 2003 2:49AM GMT
Edited: 28 Jul 2006 3:51AM GMT
Surnames: Jeffers Noe Arden Winterbotham Belford Elder
listings from journal in Pike county...
Tournear, John (Tuck) died Sept 18, 1938
Tournear, Martha died Dec 11, 1924 burned to death

Re: Jean Baptiste Tournier

Matt and Sarah Lirley McCune (View posts)
Posted: 20 Apr 2004 10:07AM GMT
Edited: 3 Feb 2005 11:28PM GMT
Surnames: Tournier Tourney Belot Ballot Lierley Vancil Lyerly Tournear
First, Prosper's real name was Prespierie and he was the son of Jean Baptiste Tournier (John B Tourney in the US) and Marie Catherine Belot/Ballot. His mother was not a Lierley even though the Tourneys and Lierleys do have a lot of intermixing.

My fiancee is a descendant of Jean and Marie Catherine through their daughter Apolena who married a Zachariah Lierley. Also, Jean (John) did have 5 children in his first marriage. His daughter Mary Tourney from that marriage married a William Vancil. William's mother was Susanna Catherine Lyerly. Susanna was Zachariah's aunt.

What information do you have that links Jean Baptiste Tournier and the Tournear guard that is also buried in Adams County, Illinois? We know that John B Tourney has a separate headstone, so he probably isn't buried where the Tournear guard is buried, so how do you think he is related to the guard? I used to think that the guard might have been his father but I have come across his father, Francois Tournier, and mother, Marie Colombe Versin, and they both died in France. When Napoleon died, Jean was only in his early 20s so it is very unlikely that Jean was his guard, especially since Napoleon had been forced into exile for years before his death (when Jean was a teenager). I still find it very unlikely that another person came through Adams County, Illinois named Tournear (which some descendants of Jean still go by). Maybe the guard was an uncle or an older brother. Have you ever seen anyone in Adams County, Illinois named Tournier, Tournear, or Tourney who wasn't related to this Jean Baptiste Tournier?

I assume that there is some relationship between John Tourney and the Tournear guard, but we'll probably never prove it.

Thanks

Matt

Re: Jean Baptiste Tournier

Matt and Sarah Lirley McCune (View posts)
Posted: 20 Apr 2004 10:44PM GMT
Edited: 3 Feb 2005 11:28PM GMT
Surnames: Tournier Tournear
On the topic of whether or not Jean was Napoleon's guard, according to what I have read about the Tournear guard who is buried in Adams County, it says that the guard escaped when they came to take Napoleon in 1815. Jean was barely in his 20s and if he "escaped" why did he stay in France for another 10-12 years? The "memorial/marker" also says the Frenchman was buried there in the 1830s. Jean Baptiste died in 1875. Jean had 5 children all born in France from his first marriage. Joseph was born, in France, in 1827. I seriously doubt he was hiding or trying to escape if he married and proceeded to have 5 children while still in France.

Matt

Re: John B. Tournear

RTournear (View posts)
Posted: 13 Sep 2011 1:04AM GMT
My husband is Richard LaVerne his dad was Leonard WillnerJr (Buck) and grandfather was Sr. wife Rethel and his great- grand father was Prosper and wife Matilda and his great great grandfather was John Baptist and wife Katherine that came over from France in 1826
Georgia Tournear
2228 Adams St
Quincy, IL 62301
Tournear Family reunion Sunday, Sept 18 here is Quincy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions