Search for content in message boards

Trek to Meriwether Co Ga in the 1800's

Trek to Meriwether Co Ga in the 1800's

CABforHIM (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jul 2011 8:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BENNETT PHILLIPS ALMON
I had family leave NC and go to Meriwether Co Ga.. I've seen other postings where people did the same. What was going on in Meriwether Co that brought people to that area. My Bennett's Phillips, Almon's went there about 1830's.. Some of the family went from there to Alabama .. just curious as to why so many went to Ga back then..

Re: Trek to Meriwether Co Ga in the 1800's

knavik (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jul 2011 11:56AM GMT
One of the reasons was probably the land --- the government held land lotteries to give away what had been Creek and Cherokee lands starting around the early 1800s until the 1830s. The land lottery that gave away land in Meriwether County was held in the 1820s. Also, Meriwether County was formed in the 1820s so previously they might have recorded that they lived in Troup County.

KarenDubois500 (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jan 2012 3:34AM GMT
Check your migratory patterns. As new land opened up and land lotteries made available, you can see a general pattern coming down from NY and Penn. through Va, the Carolinas into Ga. At this point you will see splits going to Fla and through Ala, La. to Texas. It follows history as to Colonies, states, major roads and trails and evolving transportation. This is one thing I love about geneology. You can match relatives to events in history. It makes both history and the people in it come to life!

Good luck with your searches!

KarenDubois500 (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jan 2012 3:34AM GMT
Check your migratory patterns. As new land opened up and land lotteries made available, you can see a general pattern coming down from NY and Penn. through Va, the Carolinas into Ga. At this point you will see splits going to Fla and through Ala, La. to Texas. It follows history as to Colonies, states, major roads and trails and evolving transportation. This is one thing I love about geneology. You can match relatives to events in history. It makes both history and the people in it come to life!

Good luck with your searches!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions