Search for content in message boards

John Benham/Benum Hobbs, Indiana

John Benham/Benum Hobbs, Indiana

VanetteHobbs71 (View posts)
Posted: 29 Oct 2002 1:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Feb 2004 1:57AM GMT
Surnames: HOBBS, ROTH, LUKENS, McGONIGAL, CRISS, CUMBACK, OUTCALT
I seem to have one too many John Benham/Benham/B. Hobbs. I have John Benham b. 24 Oct. 1843 in Tipton Co., IN; m. Nancy E. Leavell in 1867. I found two land patents in Scott Co., IN for John Benum Hobbs issued 1837 and one for John B. Hobbs as assignee of George Hilary Phillips, issued 1838. There were Hobbs in both counties, and I assumed this was all the same John Hobbs, until I looked carefully at his birth date. Oops! Can anyone help me sort this out? Also curious about the relationship with G.H. Phillips, as my grandfather's name was Hillery; wondered if he was named after this man. And while I'm at it, does anyone have birth dates for the seven children of John b. 1843?
Many thanks. Vanette Hobbs Hamilton

Re: John Benham/Benum Hobbs, Indiana

LorettaDodd2012 (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jan 2003 10:16PM GMT
Edited: 17 Mar 2004 9:40PM GMT
Surnames: HOBBS
Hello, John Hobbs, b 1843 was my great-great grandfather, who married Nancy Viola Leavell, Dec. 11, 1867. Their children are: Orlen Oscar b. 10/8/1868; Nettie V. b. 12/3/1870; Mary Maud b. 6/15/1873; Benjamin Absolom b. 2/29/1876; Perry Morton b. about 1879; Frederick B. b. 2/22/1881; Chalmer b. 11/25/1890. John was a son of Absolom Hobbs, Jr. His grandfather was Absolum Hobbs Sr. and great grandfather was Vincent, Sr.
I really don't think my John's middle name is Benham, though. There were more than two John Hobbs in Tipton County. I have one John B. Hobbs who was a descendant of Aaron (father) and William (grandfather) and Ezekiel (great-grandfather. Ezekiel and Absolum, Sr. were brothers.
Does this help you?
Loretta Dodd

reengel (View posts)
Posted: 3 Nov 2009 2:55AM GMT
Absalom Hobbs, Jr. and John Benham Hobbs were brothers and sons of Absalom Hobbs, Sr., the son of Vincent Hobbs Sr.
Absalom Jr also had a son (I believe)named after his uncle. I have lots more information on the Hobbs.

Stevied (View posts)
Posted: 3 Nov 2009 2:19PM GMT
Surnames: HOBBS
Do you have a Joseph Hobbs b. circa 1795?
Pat

reengel (View posts)
Posted: 3 Nov 2009 5:51PM GMT
No, I am sorry that I do not find a Joseph Hobbs.

dizzieparttwo (View posts)
Posted: 14 Nov 2009 10:27PM GMT
Surnames: Hobbs, Zink
Hi! I am a great-great-great granddaughter of John Benham Hobbs...my great grandmother was Hazel Hope Hobbs (she married Walter Zink). I would love ANY info you have on the Hobbs family. Thank you much!!

~Angie

reengel (View posts)
Posted: 15 Nov 2009 1:06AM GMT
Hope Hobbs Zink and my grandfather, Bernard E. Fraley, were first cousins. I have letters and maybe a picture or two, that Hope sent my mother when Hope was living in Yakima. I remember meeting your great great grandfather, John Fremont Hobbs, when I was a small boy. He was the brother of my great grandmother, Lois Ann Hobbs Fraley. If you will e-mail me I will send you some Hobbs information. reengel@oaknoll.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions