Search for content in message boards

Snider / Snyder

Snider / Snyder

Martha Swaim (View posts)
Posted: 8 May 2010 1:05AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Snider / Snyder, Hesser, Baccus, Caylor
Hello, I am leaving in a few days from the west coast to visit Fayette and Ross counties in Ohio. Would appreciate any suggestions on what to see while I am there. I am researching my ancestor, Henry Snider, who came first to Ross county in 1801 and then to Fayette county in 1809. He built Snider Saw and Grist mill on Sugar Creek where Perry and Union Townships meet. I believe his farm included that location as well as the Coffman-Orr cemetery, nearby, where Henry is buried and hope to confirm that. Henry was a Fayette county circuit judge for several years and was in the war of 1812. Henry and his wife Elizabeth (Betsy) Hesser Snider were among the first members of the Washington CH Presbyterian church. Henry died in 1834 and I hope to get a copy of his estate papers. Elizabeth Snider remarried to John Doster Sr. She is said to have died in 1864, but I do not know where she is buried and would like to find out. Would appreciate any suggestions on what to see while I am there. Henry Snider also had two brothers who followed him to Ross and then Fayette county, Jacob Snider and his wife Mary Caylor and William Snider and his wife, Sarah Baccus. All three brothers were from Loudoun county, VA. A fourth brother Peter Snider joined them in Fayette county. Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Re: Snider / Snyder

whitten_gwen (View posts)
Posted: 10 May 2010 1:01AM GMT
I live in Ross County, so may I suggest you visit our probate court on W Main st in Chillicothe, also our local Ross County Genealogy society. The hours for probate our daily, 8AM to 4PM. Janet Ackley is the contact and is a wonderful resource . The genealogy society is open mon, wed and friday 1PM to 4PM, also thursday eve and saturday morning 9 until noon.

I have visited the local library in Washington Court House in Fayette and they too have wonderful resources. gwen

Posted: 10 May 2010 1:05AM GMT
Surnames: Snider / Snyder, Hesser, Baccus, Caylor
Thank you so much! I will put all of your recommendations on my list!

1776GW (View posts)
Posted: 19 May 2010 4:26PM GMT
Surnames: Kerr/Carr/Snider/Snyder
I concur Fayette Co Library has some of the best people around 127 S North St 740.335.2540. You might also try Fayette Co Records and Archives Center 201 S Fayette St Washington Court House, 740.333.3510 they have b/d/ 1867-1908; m 1810-1988 etc. Lastly I have recently discovered a relative (Sarah Ann Kerr b 3.3.1832) may have married John Snider. This would have been Buckskin twp Ross Co. Do you have any Kerr's in your Snider line?
Thank You.
Geneva

Posted: 26 May 2010 10:57PM GMT
Surnames: Snider / Snyder
Not in my direct line. I descend from Henry Snider and Elizabeth Hesser who came from Loudoun county, VA and their son, John, b. 1801 in Ohio, married Delilah Beard(?) and moved to Allen county, Indiana between 1830 and 1840. Henry's son John also had a son, John Wesley Snider (my great-great-grandfather), b. Ohio and married Mary E. McConnel in Ossian, Indiana. Henry's brothers, Jacob, who married Mary Caylor, and William, who married Sarah Baccus, also came from VA. All three brothers ended up in Fayette county, Ohio. Jacob had a son John who married Malinda Campbell and William had a son John who married Rachel Ridgeway. There were some Sniders who stayed in Ross who were descended from Peter Snider who fought in the American Revolution and there may be other Sniders as well. My Henry also had a brother, Peter, who by one account may have come to Ohio, but his will was probated in Loudoun, VA.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions