Search for content in message boards

benson

benson

jeff miller (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: benson
i am searching for records in menifee and surrounding counties for info on estee (alt spelling) benson born 1908 died sept 1930 wife of scott steele mother of ruby steele miller, vada steele brown and gene steele this is my mom's mother who died when my mom was three years old. any info email coyotejmiller@netscape.net. thanks

Benson Family

Wilma Hardin Alfrey (View posts)
Posted: 31 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Benson
Hi, My name is Wilma Alfrey. I know some of the people that you mentioned Vada Brown. I am related to the Benson's thru my grandmother, who was a Pergram and married a Hardin. I don't know a whole lot about my roots, but have been wanting to learn more about my family tree. I do know some of the Benson's in Menifee County and can tell you more if you are interested. I can probly put you in touch with the ones I know. Please let me know if you would like to know more and if I can help. Sincerely, Wilma Alfrey

Re: Benson Family

rahilly70 (View posts)
Posted: 4 Feb 2010 2:28AM GMT
I am interested in all the Benson from Frenchburg, KY, especially those that lived there from 1882-1900. My grandfather was William Benson who married Lucretia Spencer in 1906. However, I am having a difficult time finding any Benson relatives, beyond his mother's name Lou Benson. His father was Joe Phelps. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Marie Benson Rahilly

Josh Harmon (View posts)
Posted: 20 Apr 2010 12:37PM GMT
Hello, I am also researching my relatives in Frenchburg. I have many there, but am having trouble putting all the pieces together. perhaps we can share knowledge. My great grandfather was James L. Benson who moved to Indiana, however many of his siblings remained in Menefee County. I did find the Craig-Benson Cemetery located near Frenchburg which list a lot of Bensons. Any help would be appreciated..

rahilly70 (View posts)
Posted: 20 Apr 2010 1:09PM GMT
Hi Josh,
The Benson family is very difficult to trace, for some reason. I believe they are off shoots from the original James Benson b. 1782 in VA. It shows that he married Mary who I believe is my line of Bensons. She had Cynthia and then it appears that James married Margaret Wood, which is the James line I believe you are from. There are Bensons in Frenchburg that are from that line. James and Dwayne Benson. Some of those Bensons lived in Ohio and maybe Indiana.
My line includes Nancy, Harriet, Louise, Malinda, Zachariah. And so on. My grandfather, William Benson, who married Lucretia Spencer, was the son of Louise Benson and Joseph Joe Phelps. William was illigetimate. Which appears to be alot of the Bensons in the Mary line. It looks like Mary my gggggrandmother had one child Cynthia with James and then went on to have more children with no record of husbands but kept the Benson name. I have lots in my shoebox about the Bensons, if you would like to send my your email I will print it and scan it back to you. You said James L. Benson in Indiana. I am not familiar but there was a faction that went to Indiana and Ohio. Let me know and if I can help I will. I live in Massachusetts but am going to Frenchburg on May 22 with some relatives from Ohio and Indiana. I might find something there. Look at the Public Family Trees and put in your grandfathers info and see what you find. Let me know, Marie Benson Rahilly

Josh Harmon (View posts)
Posted: 20 Apr 2010 3:58PM GMT
Thanks for your help.....it is a mystery isn't it? I found some news articles that show a few bensons. I have attached.
From the Owingsville Outlook

Owingsville Outlook, Thu 21 May 1896

Mrs. Sarah Benson died with consumption Wednesday May 13th at the home of
her daughter, Mrs. Taylor Pauer near Frenchburg. She was wife of James Benson who
died several years ago. She was 65. Seven children survived, four sons and three
daughters. Burial in the Benson burying ground. Carrington.

Owingsville Outlook, Thu 11 Feb 1897
Joseph Benson died at his home Wednesday morning from consumption. Left a
wife and two small children. Burial in the old Benson burying ground. Carrington.

Bath County Democrat, 29 Dec 1898
James Armitage shot and wounded James Benson at Olympian Springs on
Monday from which he died Tuesday. Armitage is the son of Hiram Armitage.

Owingsville Outlook, Thu 01 Jan 1903
James Benson and Lottie Lewis were married by Elder Kendall on Dec. 21st.

bluecorvettemom1 (View posts)
Posted: 1 Mar 2011 4:27AM GMT
I have been searching the Benson family of Menifee County, Kentucky for 20 years. My Benson's are buried in the Benson-Craig Cemetary. My gg-grandmother was Melissa Benson married Ed Smith. I believe our Benson's came to Ky from Pennsylvania. I have the Rev. War Pension for a James Benson who was from Penn. My Uncle was raised my Aunt Liz Benson sister of James Benson Jr. My grandparents were married at his house. Wayne Benson is still living by the cemetary and does not know alot about our relatives.

bluecorvettemom1 (View posts)
Posted: 1 Mar 2011 4:29AM GMT
I am related to the Benson's and the Spencer's of Frenchburg area. I have been searching those lines for 20 years. I have more on the Spencer line than the Benson. My Maternal grandmother was Julia Spencer wife of William Smith. Melissa Benson d/o of James Benson Jr is my paternal gg-grandmother.

Josh Harmon (View posts)
Posted: 1 Mar 2011 12:08PM GMT
Hello. Thanks for responding. I know it has been a battle for me too, to find all the Bensons. I have put together a lot of pieces, but still lack 2 or 3. My great grandfather was James L. Benson who was the son of Nathan Benson & Mary Jackson Benson. Nathan and Mary disappeared from the radar around 1890. Cannot find them anywhere. I am also curious as to where the Bensons originated. The first I know about is James who fought in the Revolutionary war. perhaps we can help each other solve the benson mystery. lol
Take care, Josh Harmon

rahilly70 (View posts)
Posted: 1 Mar 2011 1:38PM GMT
Josh,
Good to hear from you. I will send you want I have regarding our family. If you want to send me your email address I have the info on my computer at work and will forward it to you. My eamil is marie@fulhamco.com.
I show Nathan having 4 Children. He was born in 1840. I will research further.
Marie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions