Search for content in message boards

Scannell Family from Tralee

Scannell Family from Tralee

ryount171 (View posts)
Posted: 25 Dec 2006 9:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Scannell Hanifin
I am trying to trace the Irish ancestry of a Scannell family from Tralee, Kerry, Ireland. Honora is my GG grandmother through her daughter Susan. The family consisted of the following individuals;

Father;

Thomas Scannell
born early 1800’s (?) never immigrated to US.

Mother ;

Honora Han(n)ifin
born 1837 immigrated to NY in 1902.

13 Children;

Patrick Scannell
born 1863 immigrated to NY in 1882;
Thomas Scannell
born 1867 immigrated to NY abt 1890’s;
Susan Scannell
born 1868 immigrated to NY in 1888;
John Scannell
born 1870 or 75 immigrated to NY abt 1890’s;
Alice Scannell
born 1872 immigrated to NY bf 1890;
Jeremiah Scannell
born 1878 immigrated to NY aft 1900;
Elizabeth Scannell
born 1881? immigrated to NY abt 1900’s;
William Henry Scannell
born 1882 immigrated to NY abt 1900’s;
Charles Thomas Scannell
born 1883 immigrated to NY in 1902;
Nora Scannell
born 1881? immigrated to NY in 1902;

Gretchen(?) Scannell Died in infancy?;
Robert(?) Scannell Died in infancy?;
Another (?) Scannell Died in infancy?.

All of the above dates are approximate. I only know the names Gretchen and Robert from a web post.

I know very little about the family history in Ireland and I have had a very hard time finding any references to them anywhere.

I believe all the children were born in Tralee. Per oral history, the family may have originated earlier in County Cork.

The family was not Catholic and was, I believe, Church of Ireland. This is very unusual for Scannell’s and Hanifin’s and I would have thought this would have made them easier to identify but it has not. Jeremiah was active in the YMCA in Tralee.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Re: Scannell Family from Tralee

Kerry Kate (View posts)
Posted: 26 Dec 2006 7:06PM GMT
Surnames: Scannel Hanifan
There are three birth records on
www.familysearch.org with slightly different dates of birth

all three born to Thomas Scannel and Honora Hanifan

Alice 1868
Jeremiah 1871 and William 1873 all are Kerry births

ryount171 (View posts)
Posted: 28 Dec 2006 6:36PM GMT
Surnames: Scannell Hanifin
Thank you very much - I had not visited the site in some time - since before I knew (some)what I was doing. I went back and found not only Alice, Jeremiah and William but also Thomas, Susan, John, Elizabeth and Nora (all hard to find because of misspellings of Hanora's name). Thomas' record was particularly valuable as it gave me an idea for the family's exact locale (Kilgobban), a probable ancestor in the Griffin's Registry and their church parish.

I hope to get there some day to do further research.

Bealtaine (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jun 2007 10:11PM GMT
You can order the detailed birth certs for whichever family members you're interested in from the General Register Office http://www.groireland.ie and click on "apply for cert". The detailed birth certs will provide the exact birth locations (if the online records are the Index records, Tralee is the registration district and that includes about 600 towns and townlands).

You can contact the Church of Ireland Archives in Dublin to identify what religious parish registers survive for Tralee and how they might be accessed:
http://www.ireland.anglican.org/?do=information&id=36

You can also order the 1901 census microfilm for Tralee and see if any family members are listed then. The census microfilm can be ordered through your nearest LDS Family History Centre.

Kerry Kate (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jun 2007 3:42AM GMT
I did some further looking for your family.
I can tell you for certain,
that at the time of Alice Scannell's birth, the family were living at Abbey Street Tralee.
The father Thomas was a Porter.
(that might tie in with your earlier post, that he was involved with the Y.M.C.A in Tralee)
perhaps as a Porter?
Abbey Street is very close to the Dominican Church Tralee.
Abbey Street/Mary Street are no longer, as they used to be.
There is a car park there now.
Did any of the children remain behind in Tralee?

Bealtaine (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jun 2007 11:37AM GMT
The County Kerry genealogy website has an excellent amount of information that may help in your research:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~irlker/

Here's a current map of Tralee Town:
http://www.holidaytralee.com/map.html

ryount171 (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jun 2007 4:23AM GMT
Thank you very very much for the information. I am planning a trip there next summer.

As far as I know, all the living children came to this country (Utica NY area) but spread over a 20+ year period from the 1880's to the 1900's. The last children over brought their mother (Honora) with them. I have traced the ship records for most of them and traced some of their descendants if you would like the information. It was Thomas's son Jeremiah (Jere) that was active in the YMCA but I think it may be very likely that is also where his father worked. They were a poor family and the first ones over saved money to bring the rest.

ryount171 (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jun 2007 4:28AM GMT
Thank you very much for both posts - very useful - I would like to gather as much information as possible before I go there - hope to go next summer.

Bealtaine (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jun 2007 9:23PM GMT
Very smart of you to start researching how to get information early. Many people abroad wait until just before they travel to post messages looking for information about their ancestry here and unfortunately it can be quite difficult to come by.

Any of the family members who emigrated after the Irish 1901 census was taken might be included in that census record. It's not computerised or available online but you can search the 1901 microfilms for Tralee on order through your nearest LDS Family History Centre.

The 1901 Irish census includes county of birth for those enumerated in County Kerry for example who were born in a different county other than County Kerry. So if any family members included in that census record were born in County Cork, for example, it would include just the name of County Cork but not where in County Cork they were born.

There are about 6,000 towns and townlands in County Cork. It's the largest county in Ireland. There aren't any county-wide records for County Cork either so you'd have to know where in County Cork they were born to find out what local parish register might have their baptismal, marriage or burial information.

There's an excellent book you might want to try to get in the US, perhaps through your local library. It's called "Tracing Your Irish Ancestors" written by John Grenham. John is a well-respected professional researcher in Ireland who speaks abroad also regarding Irish research. You want the 2006 edition of the book which I believe is the third edition. That's the most recent one and the biggest. Grenham is a well-respected genealogical researcher in Ireland.

ctbecker44 (View posts)
Posted: 20 Apr 2009 1:20AM GMT
Charles Thomas Scannell, who was my grandfather, was in fact born in Tralee in 1883 and emmigrated to Utica, New York with his mother Honora Hanifin in 1902. They were the last of the Scannell clan to leave Ireland.

Mr. Scannell went to work for an axle manufacturer, Weston-Mott in Utica that same year. When the owner of the company, Charles Stewart Mott accepted William C. Durant's offer in 1908 to become part of a company he was forming called General Motors, Mr. Scannell moved with the company to Flint, Michigan. Over succeeding years Mr. Scannell worked his way up from a line laborer at the axle company, to General Manufacturing Manager (#2 in the Company) of the Buick Motor Division of G.M. His boss was Harlow Curtis.

Mr. Scannell died of heart disease in May of 1937 and is buried in the family plot next to his wife, Blanche Olah Olmstead Scannell (Freeland, Michigan)(1883-1957). They had two daughters, Eileen Honora Scannell Becker (1916-1982) and Mary Alice Scannell Sill (1918-2005)

Jeremiah (Jer) and his sister Nora remained until their deaths in Utica, N.y.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions