Search for content in message boards

Woodward's from Deweysburgh, Danville, Walden, and Peacham, Vermont

Woodward's from Deweysburgh, Danville, Walden, and Peacham, Vermont

douglaslloyd68 (View posts)
Posted: 6 May 2006 3:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 Aug 2006 2:11AM GMT
Surnames: Woodward, Sawyer, Taylor, Russel, Russell
I am seeking any and all communication from any descendants of the Woodward Taylor Sawyer Russell families from the area's of Deweysburgh, Danville, Walden etc areas of Vermont. You may be out there in America etc and be descended from these families. I need to speak with you descendants out there regarding these families. Supposedly, there is abenaki ancestry in these lines somewhere. I have been tracking these families for years and it seems to me that there was a native community or band of native peoples on the eastern side of Keiser Pond there in Danville situated on the Eliakim Hunt Farm which he built in the spring and summer of 1800. Around his place was the Russel(l)'s and Sawyer's. Over to the left on the western side of Keiser Pond was the Woodward's Taylor's and Sawyer's as well. We are thinking that perhaps Jeptha Woodward at age 21 in ca. 1782 came to Deweysburgh, Vermont with his widowed mother and siblings, where he had relations with an abenaki woman, had two children Apollos and Hepsey Woodward. Or perhaps Apollos and Hepsey Woodward were his younger siblings. But it doesn't seem possible considering that it is indicated that his mother in 1782 was a widow of Nathaniel Woodward. They'd come from Smithfield Rhode Island after March 1779. Mary Britton/Brittain was a baptist at age 19 years. She remarried to William Green in 1803 and he died. She remarried a 3rd time to James Hunt of Bradford, Vermont in 1824. She died August 9th, 1839 and is buried in the Danville Green Cemetery.

Please if anyone out there has an awareness of this family, esspecially of Apollos Woodward, (might be running under an assumed name) who ended up in Lapeer County, MI in Jan. 1859 PLEASE communicate with me. WE need to locate him between the years 1816 and 1859. he was a farmer and a cooper, married (again) and supposedly had children by the 2nd marriage as well. Where did Jeptha, Clergy, Darius, Amaziah, and Nathaniel Jr's father Nathaniel Woodward die? Did he die in Smithfield, RI or elsewhere before his widow arrived in Deweysburgh, Vermont/ Was he serving in the military when he died? Also we are trying to find out if Darius Woodward of Deweysburgh, Vermont was actually and truthfully the father of Parker Preston Woodward. Parker died in or before June 1884 either in Stanstead (Fitch Bay, Quebec in the Eastern Townships) or elsewhere.

Thank you and please do not hesitate to call me at (603)788-4585 if you have anything that relates to the above families of Woodward-Sawyer-Taylor-Russel(l). I know there must be family Bible's, Photographs and the like out there in the possession of other descendants, antique dealers, or in the back of some closet somewhere that will shed more light on these ancestors. Somewhere there is the details that we need. Sincerely, Douglas Lloyd Buchholz

Re: Woodward's from Deweysburgh, Danville, Walden, and Peacham, Vermont

Posted: 9 Aug 2008 7:02PM GMT
Edited: 11 Aug 2008 8:53PM GMT
Surnames: Woodward, Allen, Shotwell
Contact telephone number has changed. It is now 603 788 2718. We have also found Apollos aka Thomas A. Woodward having married "Elizabeth" and having two very likely son's named James B. Woodward and Edward Mason Woodward. We are looking for James B. Woodward, his wife Sarah Jane (nee: Allen) in the 1860 Census as well as the parents of James. Edward Mason Woodward was in Lima, Grant County, Wisconsin per the 1860 census. Where did Apollos and son James B. Woodward go per the 1860 Census. Desperate to find them. James B. Woodward was a constable in Arcadia, Lapeer County, MI. His brother in law was a William Shotwell. Hoping someone might be able to locate this family in the 1860 census. Quite elusive thus far in that period of time. James B. Woodward per the 1870 Census is in Montcalm County, MI with his family. Perhaps all the Woodward's in Arcadia Lapeer Co, MI were "skipped" by the census taker.
Thank you kindly for anyone who responds to this genealogical inquiry.

jeffworks1 (View posts)
Posted: 23 Aug 2010 1:11PM GMT
Hello,

I have a Violetta Woodward from Peacham and her father was Amazia Woodward. Sadly, that's all I knew. I read that there are no readable stones in the Woodward Family Cemetery.

Posted: 23 Aug 2010 11:18PM GMT
Call me 603 788 2718. I have images of the Woodward Cemetery of Peacham, Vermont. If you would like.

jeffworks1 (View posts)
Posted: 24 Aug 2010 12:35AM GMT
>...if you would like.

I would! That is, if an of the stones are readable.

jeffworks1 (View posts)
Posted: 24 Aug 2010 12:37AM GMT
>...if you would like.

I would! That is, if an of the stones are readable.

Shamoca2009 (View posts)
Posted: 6 Oct 2010 2:03AM GMT
If you send me your email, I can send you an old newspaper clipping from July 8th 1805 in Danville,If I read it correctly, Apollos was a "prisoner in the common gaol in Danville" by writ of execution.

Janet

Posted: 6 Oct 2010 3:44AM GMT
Surnames: Woodward
douglaslloydbuchholz at yahoo dot com. Danke. "Is this an actual duplicate" of the 1805 North Star newspaper clipping?
Appreciate the help. I think I have a photocopy of this aarticle but not sure, so thank you for your help Janet. I wish I could find out where Apollos aka Thomas A. Woodward or Woodard died. The last known location for him was Arcadia, Lapeer County, MI in 1859 in Jan. I think they died there in 1859 or maybe not. He and his wife, and their son James B. Woodward or Woodard with James' two or three children "disappear" after the 1850 census and the 1859 1812 Pension application of Appollos. He popped his head up above the radar and then literally got put under the ground. But I cannot find them at all in the 1860 census whatsoever. The other son Edward Mason Woodward bro. to James was over in Lima, Grant County, Wisc. Anyone out there run across a Cooper and his family by the name of Woodard or Woodward, holler at me. Also a Nancy Jane Allard nee: Woodward after 1880 born abt. 1840 in VT or NH. Married Willam S. Allard but they broke up. Thank you. Douglas

Shamoca2009 (View posts)
Posted: 6 Oct 2010 4:14AM GMT
I will transcribe a small portion but note it is written in old script (the "s" is replaced with what looks like an "f"). It's a pdf file & can't be downloaded:

No Headline
Date: July 23, 1805
Paper: Green Mountain Patriot
Article type: Advertisement

CITATION

Whereas Apollos Woodward, of Deweyfburgh, in the county of Caledonia, hath preferred his petition to Joseph Moffett,Efq. one of the Judges of the County,Court,for faid County, and Abel Morrill,Efq. one of the Juftices of the Peace for the fame County, ftating the he is now confined a prifoner in the common gaol in Danville, in faid County, by
virtue of 2(? hard to read) Executions, one at the Suit of ?? Williams, for the fum of Three Dollars, Forty Cents Damages, and Cofts, the other in favor of Olney Fuller, of Lyndon, for Five Dollars,Thirty Cents Damages, and Cofts.

Posted: 6 Oct 2010 4:59AM GMT
Yes, I do have this one. Are you related to this particular lineage of Woodward's or another of the ancestry? I will delightfully send you what I know of him and the Woodward family itself? Kindly, Douglas Lloyd Buchholz
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions