Search for content in message boards

Delight Sargent Boudinot

Delight Sargent Boudinot

HelenCurrieDavis (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jul 2010 8:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bell, Boudinot, Sargent
I would like to find the burial place for Delight Sargent Boudinot. She was most likely born in Pawlet, Vermont in 1800 and was the daughter of John and Delight Bell Sargent. She was one of ten children born to John and Delight. The other children were: Ralph, John, Leonard, Daniel, Royal, Epenetus A., Warren B., Martha, and Nancy. Delight was the youngest.

Delight became the second wife of Cherokee, Elias Boudinot, on the 22 April 1837. After the murder of her husband in 1839 in Park Hill, Oklahoma she moved back to Vermont living in Bennington, VT for some time.

She lived and worked in Troy, Albany, New York some twenty years before her death. She died in Troy, Albany, New York on the 20 February 1893 at the age of 93.

Delight was the second wife of my 4th great grandfather, Elias Boudinot. Any information you might have would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Helen Currie Davis
gertrude2@juno.com

Re: Delight Sargent Boudinot

jeffsargent111 (View posts)
Posted: 25 Nov 2011 6:03AM GMT
Helen,

My name is Jeff Sargent and I live in the heart of The Creek Nation in Oklahoma. Below my wordsmithing is the location where Delight Sargent Boudinot is buried.
I am of mixed blood and 2/3 white, but am Cherokee from my mother, and my father's people are from The White Earth Clan of the Ojibway, or Chippewa. I have the information you seek, and it is below. I have studied our people for many years and lived and learned "the way of our people," and must say that the part of history and the tragic end of your 4th Great Grandfather was indeed that, a tragedy. When studying the subject when I was much younger, it all seemed so cruel and it was indeed venom, and no one at the time knew of what would or could happen at the hands of, nor the pen of Andrew Jackson and his "white treaty breaking killing machine."
The Cherokee people were divided by many events that they did not anticipate, nor did any of the many tribes fully comprehend until it was too late. Many were literally wiped off the face of the earth because of greed and broken treaties, which both outnumbered anything a group of innocent people who were trodden over, murdered and removed to reservations or Indian Territory by force could fully comprehend as a group. In the case of Elias, he was a "forward thinker," and a visionary that discerned what lay ahead for his and other people at the hands of the whites and the society at large during that period in time. He understood the events that were taking place and also tried to protect his people, and as you know there were different opinions and a wide canyon of divide created by bad deeds and mistrust, and a rift became a tribal war that lasted for many years, and some went with the Union forces, and others fought on the other side. We were a nation divided, and not all wanted to be on the side of the North or South, nor did all agree with the viewpoints of the US or Confederate governments, but the past is past, but not forgotten, and the Cherokee are a strong people, now located all over the US and abroad. None of the Cherokee wished to leave the land and lives they had evolved into and the society they had become accustomed to or been assimilated into. As you know, money is flowing back into the Cherokee Nations, and new industries have been created that are ongoing and successful. It makes me proud to know that the present is full of hope, even though there are still political divides among the Cherokee people, however there are also divides and boundaries for freedom that are lurking in the shadows and in front of our faces all over the world. What I do know is that God has a plan for all of us, and we cannot understand nor comprehend the magnitude of everything that our Father has in mind for us and our world, but His will is carried out in every segment of our lives, and He gives us each breath that we take, and each day is truly a gift from God, and it is such a short time we have here on this beautiful earth; it is a shame that we waste so much time and energy on trivialities and injustices to our fellow human beings, when we should all be joining together to help save the planet at this juncture in time, as there will come a day of judgement, and it may not be what or when we desire it in our selfish lives, but when you compare our short time here on this beautiful earth to eternity, we should all be thankful that we still have a chance to enjoin together to save our heritage, and help each other band together for whatever is needed to save up our energy for the positive here and now, as we'll not have time once the "sands of our hourglass" have dipped to the bottom. You may be a cousin or family member, and I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving, 2011 -
Helen Currie Davis; I see you wrote this request for information a year and five months ago and hope this helps you in your quest.
With peace, love and joy,
Jeffrey Nofire Sargent, a fellow human being
Wolf ClanA NI WA YAH

I
1893 February 21 – Obit: BOUDINOTT-At the Presbyterian Home, Feb 21, 1893, Delight S. Boudinott, aged 92 years. Funeral from the Home, 90 Fourth Street, Wednesday, 22nd inst., at 2 p.m. Friends are invited to attend.

Delight is buried at the Oakwood Cemetery in Troy, Rensselaer County, New York, USA, Section H, Lot # 406, Grave # 3.

HelenCurrieDavis (View posts)
Posted: 25 Nov 2011 4:06PM GMT
Surnames: Boudinot, Sargent
Jeffrey,

Thank you for your nice reply. Thank you for posting the info about Delight's burial place.

I was planning a trip to New England for September 2010 and wanted to be able to visit Delight Sargent Boudinot's grave. I did find that information before leaving. I did visit the cemetery, but forgot to bring the map I received from the cemetery! :( I was in the wrong section, it was an hour before closing and it was getting dark. But, I am planning another trip and will be sure to take my map with me!

The cemetery is very large with over 65,000 graves.

Thank you.

jeffsargent111 (View posts)
Posted: 25 Nov 2011 4:45PM GMT
Helen,
If you make the trip, please send me pics and copies of the map, as I have not made the journey. You can reach me at jeff.sargent@yahoo.com or 918.636.0630 as we have much in common and there is much I can share with you about our family and its past. I can also send you much information from our Cherokee Nation and will correspond if you wish. Where to you live? You can contact me direct if preferred.
Your cousin,
Jeff Nofire Sargent

lilamerrill36 (View posts)
Posted: 27 Nov 2011 6:49AM GMT
Thank you, that was good what you wrote, LILA
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions