Search for content in message boards

Philip Fletcher/Mary Sullivan union (poss. sister of Cornelius?)

Philip Fletcher/Mary Sullivan union (poss. sister of Cornelius?)

dfletcher (View posts)
Posted: 29 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Jun 2001 6:52PM GMT
Surnames: Fletcher, Sulllivan, Hess
I'm researching the background and ancestry of Mary Sullivan, who married Philip Fletcher of Taneytown, Carroll County (then Frederick) in July 1794. Philip was the oldest son of Johannes Jacob Floesser, Jr. (Jacob Fletcher) and Maria Magdalena Hess, and was born in 1768. Philip and Mary baptized their first child, Jacob, in Taneytown in 1795. Shortly afterwards, they moved to Bedford County, PA, to join the rest of Philip's family. By 1830, the Philip Fletcher family had relocated to Allegany County, MD, near Flinstone, where he operated a tavern and maintained a farm. Philip died in 1854, the farm was sold, and widow Mary lived with their children.

Mary Sullivan was born ca. 1775, probably in the Taneytown area as well, and died ca. 1872 or slightly before, in Allegany County, MD--no definite dates have yet been discovered. She may have been a sister to Cornelius Sullivan, also of the Taneytown--Westminster area. Has anyone determined Cornelius' parents and siblings? I'd like to share data concerning the Fletcher/Sullivan union with anyone who can help me flesh out Mary's ancestry.

Re: Philip Fletcher/Mary Sullivan union (poss. sister of Cornelius?)

suestu (View posts)
Posted: 17 Feb 2005 4:54PM GMT
Did you ever find out the ancestry of your Mary SULLIVAN? I am descended from Cornelius and would love to know the tie-in.

Sue

David Fletcher (View posts)
Posted: 17 Feb 2005 5:28PM GMT
Surnames: FLETCHER SULLIVAN
hI Sue....

Sadly, this is still a brickwall for me. I will keep you in mind, though, if I can find out anything definitive. Did you ever establish who Cornelius' father was, and if so, was a probate with heirs recorded? I seem to remember that either York Co., PA, or Lancaster Co., PA, was involved....or am I dreaming?

Yours,

David

suestu (View posts)
Posted: 17 Feb 2005 10:31PM GMT
I have never found out the parents of Cornelius. It seems he just dropped into Maryland.

Please keep in touch.

Sue

v_stern (View posts)
Posted: 18 Feb 2005 10:24PM GMT
Surnames: Sullivan, Bohn
Which Cornelious Sullivan are you referring to? Cornelious Sullivan, b. abt 1748, d. 10 Sep 1810 (buried at Krider's), m. Catherine Bohn (abt. 1752-1824). According to a couple of sources he emigrated from Ireland to the Province of Maryland. He enlisted in the Maryland Line, from Frederick County, Maryland on December 25, 1776, and served in the Revolutionary War in Capt. Deems Co., 7th Reg. After the war, he located near Manchester, Carroll County, Maryland, where he died.

I know that doesn't answer how he arrived in Maryland. His wife, Catherine, was my 7g aunt. They had a daughter, Mary (1782-1850) who reportedly never married and is also buried at Krider's.

Posted: 19 Feb 2005 12:01AM GMT
Surnames: FLETCHER SULLIVAN
This is the Cornelius Sullivan that has footprints all over that portion of Carroll Co.; he was a lot-holder in Taneytown as well, even if only as an absentee landlord--he paid taxes on it in 1798. I've seen the will at the Frederick Courthouse.

Because of Philip Fletcher marrying Mary Sullivan there at Taneytown in 1794, and the lack of other Sullivan candidates in the area, I'm betting on the notion that Mary was either a sister to Cornelius, or perhaps a niece; she was born ca. 1775. I've not seen a complete family group for him. It's possible that other siblings followed him to the area from Ireland, if this was indeed how he arrived.

Mary Sullivan Fletcher died in Allegany Co., MD, in early 1860, and was reputed to have been in her 80s. I keep hoping that I'll find a Sullivan dying in either Carroll, Frederick, York, or Lancaster Counties that mentions this Mary Sullivan Fletcher as an heir. Cornelius' will shot him down as a candidate for being Mary's father, as his daughter Mary--which you pointed out--was unmarried at his death in 1810.

Now, if only Mary Fletcher had named a son Cornelius! Alas, this was not meant to be.

David Fletcher
Richmond, VA

suestu (View posts)
Posted: 19 Feb 2005 3:43AM GMT
From what sources did you get your info from?

I am descended thru Cornelius's son Michael and his wife, Hannah Brown.

Sue

suestu (View posts)
Posted: 3 Mar 2005 10:54PM GMT
I doubt that Mary was his sister as Cornelius was born ca 1749 and Mary ca 1775. Maybe a cousin. Wish we could find out about these two.

Sue

Posted: 4 Mar 2005 12:53AM GMT
Surnames: SULLIVAN FLETCHER
Sue...

I think you're right. And the way these extended families sort of grouped around each other makes it all the more likely. Do you know if Cornelius had siblings that came over from Ireland around the same time? My understanding is that he came from a large family. But, didn't they all?

David

JudySmith140 (View posts)
Posted: 4 Mar 2005 1:18AM GMT
My husband is descended from Cornelius Sullivan (Michael and Hannah Brown, Uriah, David B., Eliza Jane and Samuel Smith, etc.). I believe there is information on file at the Carroll County Historical Society, Westminster, Maryland written by Mrs. Nellie Woods Whedon and Fred N. Sullivan in 1946 and updated by Richard H. Ott in 1996. I had noted in my research a posting by Rev. John D. Ashbaugh in 2002 that "Cornelius Sullivan is said to have descended from Sr. Philip O'Sullivan of County Cork, Ireland. It is not known when his family first migrated to America." Have you checked with the historical society? They have been a great help to me over the years.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions