Search for content in message boards

John Hoag, Joseph Hoag and Sarah Goodwin

John Hoag, Joseph Hoag and Sarah Goodwin

txmclaughlin (View posts)
Posted: 26 Feb 2006 6:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hoag, Goodwin
I am seeking additional information on the participation in the Salem Witch Trails by Hoag family members. I am a descendant of Joseph Haog and Sarah Goodwin. Is Sarah Goodwin one of the “Goodwin” children referenced in the book Memorable Providences, Relating to Witchcrafts and Possessions written by Cotton Mather in 1689? A transcription appears at the following location http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/salem/ASA_M...
It references the father as John Goodwin but I show that these two girls are the daughters of Richard Goodwin & Mary Fowler

Leslie Hope posted the following message in August of 1999. Does anyone have her current contact information?:

I'm thinking of the Goodwin girls Martha and Sarah who were very young children when they were used as evidence of possession by the accused "witches." Martha in particular had to go live with Cotton Mather for a time so he could study her case and I presume exorcise the witchcraft that she was supposedly afflicted by. But I surmise that they grew up to repudiate their innocent involvement because they both married the Hoag boys, Joseph and Jonathan, who like their father John Hoag (according to the Journal of Joseph Hoag John supposedly was an assize court judge at the time of the witch persecutions who lost his position because he opposed the persecution) and their grandfather John Emery (though he was a very well to do maker of fine furniture and a founding father of Newbury MA he was hauled into court on charges of giving hospitality in his home to Quakers though he was not one himself) were thorns in the side of the Puritan establishment.

Here is a quote from the Journal of Tristram Coffin about
the Hoag boys: In 1704,Judge Sewall thus writes. 'I told Mr. [Nicholas] Noyes of Salem of ye quaker meeting at Samuel Sayers and of ye profaneness of ye young Hoags professing that heresy.' These 'young Hoags,' were all sons of John Hoag, and resided in the west parish of Newbury."

Re: John Hoag, Joseph Hoag and Sarah Goodwin

Leslie Hope (View posts)
Posted: 27 Feb 2006 5:34AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Apr 2006 1:42AM GMT
Surnames: Goodwin, Mather, Hoag
Sarah Goodwin who lived with Cotton Mather is not the same Sarah Goodwin who marrried Joseph Hoag.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions