Search for content in message boards

Who is the father of Thomas Weir d. 1864, of Weir, Mississippi?

Who is the father of Thomas Weir d. 1864, of Weir, Mississippi?

weirhouse61 (View posts)
Posted: 20 Dec 2011 2:16AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Weir McKelvey Weer Dickey
I'm descended from Thomas Weir, married to Isabella McKee, whoes sons, John and James founded Weir, MS. Most internet and family info say Thomas's parents are Capt. John and Elizabeth McKelvey Weer, of Kings Mountain, NC. But I have found two Thomas's, reported to be their son. One is Thomas McKelvey Weer buried next to his wife, Catharine Kidd Dickey in El Bethel Cemetery in Kings Mt.(which I believe is Capt John's son).

The other is buried next to his wife, Isabelle McKee in Bethsalem Presb. Church, Weir, MS.(Who I believe is the father of John & James) So who is the father of the Thomas buried in Mississippi? Or is it like the Newhart show, "This is my brother Thomas, and this is my other brother Thomas :-)"

And, for all you future Weir parents - please don't name your sons John, Thomas, or James - it's getting really confusing!
Thanks
Scott Weir (hypocritical father of John Scott Weir)
Attachments:

Re: Who is the father of Thomas Weir d. 1864, of Weir, Mississippi?

lavonne16 (View posts)
Posted: 20 Dec 2011 3:31AM GMT
I have a JOHN WEIR born 1811 Washington Co, PA (?) married a Nancy DeWindt Kipp in Jackson Co, OH. They didn't name a son John but might as well have! They did name the first son George D (I believe for DeWindt) who was killed quite young in the Civil War.
The only other son was named Andrew. They had five daughters.
I have a picture (quite by accident) of John.

He died in Bates Co., MO. Was a teacher at a one room school house, and farmed on the side.
I know all this about him, except his parents! Like you said, so many Johns!
There is also a Weir, KS....and the family always believed it was named for their family. I can find no proof of this.
If there is anyone out there that knows of this family, I would appreciate any information!
Lavonne Parrish,
Attachments:

jgerring51 (View posts)
Posted: 29 May 2012 3:55AM GMT
I'm currently working on the genealogy for the Weir family of Weir Mississippi, father: Thomas Weir of Col. John Weir and James Weir, who founded the town of Weir. Thomas Weir is my ggggrandfather. He and his wife Isabella McKee are buried at Bethsalem Presbyterian Church near Weir in Choctaw County Mississippi. He moved his family there from Rehoboth/Wilcox Alabama. He was born in Fairfield County, S. C. (and I believe) to a John & Mary Weir as indicated in John Weir's Will recorded in Fairfield County, S. C. However, I can't find a connection to Capt. John Weir of North Carolina either. No matter which John Weir (the elder, I call him) it is, I would like to be able to correctly follow his lineage through the Revolutionary War and to Ireland.

Also, believe it or not my father was named John Weir, but has a unique middle name: Winston and was born in Weir, MS.

If you're free on June 10, we will have our Weir Reunion at the Weir Presbyterian Church in Weir, MS.

tsgator (View posts)
Posted: 29 May 2012 4:36PM GMT
Can you add some dates to your names? I have a Thomas Weir, son of James & Patience Tyler. I also have an R. Hugh Weir from Antrim, Ireland who emigrated into Columbia, Richland Co, SC which is very near your Fairfield Co, SC. Contact me directly at tsgator at earthlink.net Thanks, W. Smith
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions