Search for content in message boards

Family Trace Uy of Fujian or Fukian

Family Trace Uy of Fujian or Fukian

SERAFIN P. BARRETTO JR. (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Uy, Wei
Please help me trace our relatives from Fukien (Fujian), China. My grandfather is from Fukien with the surname of Uy but used the surname of his godfather/sponsor in the Philippines as BARRETTO. His filipino name is SATURNINO BARRETTO who was kidnapped for ransom and murdered by Huks of Quezon Province, Philippines in 1952. Some old chinese friends told me that the meaning of the chinese character UY is YELLOW and the pronounciation is not really UY but eing or egn. Some said that the Uy in Mandarin is WEI.

names

nathan (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
I do not know what your friends are talking about. I can think of two characters with the phonetic Wei which are surnames, but neither one means yellow. On the other hand, there is a fairly common surname with the meaning "yellow", called Huang in Mandarin.

New Lead

SERAFIN P. BARRETTO JR. (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Huang, Uy, Ng
Thank you very much to Nathan. Huang will be my new lead in tracing my relatives

Uy

Al Chinn (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
How do you pronounce the name "Uy"?

In Singapore and Malaysia, if you are Hakka it is written as "Ooi" or "Oei" or "Wee", pronounced something like "oooeee". In Hokkien it is "Ng". They all mean Huang in mandarin or yellow. So do you pronounce "Wei" and "Uy" almost like "oooeee"? So how it is transliterated depends on the dialect the person is speaking even though it is the same Chinese character.

Pronounciation of UY

Serafin P. Barretto Jr. (View posts)
Posted: 31 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: UY, NG, WEI
According to my chinese friends in the Philippines UY pronounced as "eeng" meaning yellow

Ng

Karen (View posts)
Posted: 28 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Hi,
pronounce UY, eeng is in hoikian and mandarin is Huang.
my surname also Ng. im hoikian, what about u?

My Surname is Barretto in Filipino but UY in Chinese

Serafin P. Barretto Jr. (View posts)
Posted: 29 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: UY, ENG, HUANG
UY IS MY SURNAME IN CHINESE BUT BARRETTO IS OUR ADOPTED FAMILY NAME HERE IN PHILIPPINES

WEE Xiamen Gulangyi

RObert Wee (View posts)
Posted: 29 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Wee
Hi. My father was from Gulangyi near Xiamen or Amoy and migrated to Manila in1906 folowing his father. His name was Wee or NG.He also had a uncle , surname Lua. Thank you Mr Chin for enlightening me about my surname.

WEE Xiamen Gulangyi

RObert Wee (View posts)
Posted: 29 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Wee
Hi. My father was from Gulangyi near Xiamwn or Amoy and migrated to Manila in1906 folowing his father. His name was Wee or NG.He also had a uncle , surname Lua. Thank you Mr Chin for enlightening me about my surname.

Chinese name changes in the Philippines

cordero711 (View posts)
Posted: 30 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 1 Dec 2005 3:09AM GMT
Surnames: Garcia, Huang, Demetria
Enrique Demetria Garcia, born 1890 Iloilo Philippines. He said they would visit his grandparents in Amoy in the summer. The family name there was Huang. His mother's name was Marina Demetria. Was it customary for the Chinese to change their last names when they arrived in the Philippines? With such little information, any ideas how to research my Chinese roots? Thanks
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions