Search for content in message boards

Gunter Herefordshire/Monmouthshire

Gunter Herefordshire/Monmouthshire

ladyroselake (View posts)
Posted: 10 Apr 2007 1:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gunter
Can anyone help? My 3x great grandparents were Phillip Gunter b.1776 at Little Birch, Herefordshire and Mary nee Tylor b.1779 at Little Birch. They married on 24th April 1800 at Little Birch. In the English census Phillip is a journeyman/stonemason. Their youngest son, William, a stonemason, was Roman Catholic but i do not know if the remaining family were. Parish records for Little/Much Birch, Hentland and Dewchurch have been unsuccessful in tracing the parents of Phillip and earlier. Is anyone able to recognise this line?

Re: Gunter Herefordshire/Monmouthshire

psherry84 (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jun 2012 9:03AM GMT
Have you considered a possible connection with the distinguished Gunter family of Abergavenney who were Recusant Catholics for several generations and leaders of an underground Catholic group in the town.Regards Peter

Posted: 16 Jun 2012 2:51PM GMT
Yes,that is why I am trying to establish Philip's parents as though I have the Gunter's of Abergavenny there is a gap in the 17th/18th centuries and not sure whether he came from Breconshire or Monmouthshire. Thankyou for your interest.

psherry84 (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jun 2012 2:51PM GMT
You clearly know what you are doing so may already have explored the avenues I suggest.I think it unlikely your ancestor was practising his religion in isolation and therefore was probably attached to one of the small groups of Catholics in the border area.The census of Recusants (ie for Hereford and Monmouth)carried out about every 10 years may hold some clues.It was last done in 1761.

The Vicar general of the Western District Bishop William Sharrock held office from 1780 to 1813.He kept detailed diaries one of which survives at Downside Abbey the other in the archives of the Catholic Diocese of Clifton.They are full of info about his scattered flock.eg 1802'visited Brecon congrgation of 40' or 1802 confirmation Llannarth of 12 6 from Usk 2 Brecon 2 Chepstow.

In 1813 he reported on his estimate of numbers to Rome
those which may be of interest include:

Monmouth 40, Perthyr 70(Jones family seat)Llanarth 170(Herbert family seat),Courtfield 30(Vaughan family seat),Chepstow 50,Usk Newport and Abergavenney 300,Hereford 50,Samesfield 50, Brecon 40.

Good Luck

Peter

Posted: 17 Jun 2012 3:45PM GMT
Thankyou for your information. I have seen the census of Recusants but did not know of the diaries. I shall pursue that route, particularly the Courtfield and Llanarth entries. The Merry family of Courtfield were Catholics and Maria Merry married William Gunter in 1847 at Monmouth but her ancestors of Welsh Bicknor are working for the Vaughan family of Courtfield. The Llanarth connection is of interest as there is a Philip Gunter there in the early/mid 18th century, who possibly could be the grandfather of Philip b. 1776.

psherry84 (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jun 2012 10:02PM GMT
Courtfield and Llanarth are well documented.The entire mission register of the latter is on the net in Latin!

Another line you may consider which is more obscure are the Morgans of Penllwyn Sarth(aka Sarph) a cadet branch of the mighty Morgans of Tredegar.Henry Morgan died in 1757 his estates going to his sister Florence then married to John Jones of Llanarth.Curiously an earlier daughter of this house was married in the 1690's to one James Gunter of Abergavenney.I believe Penllwyn is close to Brecon which you suggested might feature in your trail.

Regards

Peter
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions