Search for content in message boards

Massey Family of Philadelphia

Massey Family of Philadelphia

TDOYLE (View posts)
Posted: 14 May 2004 2:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Over the past few years I have posted several queries asking about the ancestors of my Charles Massey of Philadelphia. The earliest that I had located him was on the 1850 census, and I had been stumped on this family for about 10 years. This last week I made a major breakthrough by analyzing the earlier census records (1790-1840) to get an idea of what Massey families were living in Philadelphia in those earlier years as well as careful study of Philadelphia city directory entries. Living with my Charles in 1861 was a Mary Massey, widow of Thomas. I had already pegged this Thomas as the potential father based upon the earlier census study. All the pieces are now fitting into place and I have created a web page which outlines this early Massey family of Philadelphia. Samuel Massey, a Quaker, emigrated with his wife and children from Cork, Ireland to Philadelphia in 1710. His son Wight Massey had several sons who resided on the Philadelphia / Northern Liberties border. If anyone else has done any research on this family, please contact me.

The web page for my outline of this family is at http://www.gentree.com/massey/

Thank you!

Tim Doyle

Re: Massey Family of Philadelphia

JohnFlenniken213 (View posts)
Posted: 6 May 2012 6:30PM GMT
Surnames: Massey, Stewart, Smith, Dickinson
I thought I would try and reply to your posting in hope you will reply.

I have been working on the Massey Family of Philadelphia, with great difficulty. My ancestor is William C. Massey b. abt 1822 Philadelphia, PA - died - 21 Sep 1885 Trenton, Mercer, NJ. His occupation: machinist. In 1850 he was living in Spring Garden, Philadelphia, PA. In 1860 & 1870 he is living with his family in Phoenixville, Chester, PA. Then in 1880 he is living in Trenton, Mercer, NJ. William C. Massey married Jeanette Smith, dau. of John and Rebecca Smith of Philadelphia. They named one of their daughters - Amanda Stewart Massey.

What interesting information I have put together, but not totally sure about is the connection to Charles B. Massey (occupation: machinist) who married Mary Ann Stewart (dau of Stephen Stewart and Ann (Nancy) Wyman, and his sister Amanda H. Massey who married the older brother of Mary Ann Stewart - John Harmon Stewart. Information found indicates that John H. Stewart died in 1843. In 1850 Census I find Amanda Stewart living in the household of Morris and Sarah Dickinson in Camden, NJ. Then I find in 1860 Census I find Amanda Stewart living still with the Morris and Sarah Dickinson family in Philadelphia, PA, but also in the household is Ann Massey age 80 b. PA. Found a death record for Mrs. Anna Massey who died 26 Jun 1866 Philadelphia, PA. What I find interesting is in the 1850 Census for William C. Massey living in Spring Garden, Philadelphia, PA - Ann Massey is living in the household. Ancestry.com gives her age as 48, but if you look at the original 1850 Census you will see her age is 68, which makes you think this is the same Ann Massey. On Ann Massey's death record, it gives her birthplace as, Philadelphia, PA. But I still can't figure out who her husband was? Or for certain this connection...Any ideas?

TDOYLE (View posts)
Posted: 7 May 2012 2:30PM GMT
Hi John:

I took a look back at the family outline that I put together back in 2004, and found the following family, which looks like it could possibly be a match. What do you think?

31. James W. Massey (Ebenezer Massey3, Wight Massey2, Samuel Massey1) was born in 1778 in Philadelphia. He married Ann (-----). Based on 1830 census information, she was born between 1780 and 1790. James W. Massey was probably involved in a partnership in 1805, when "Stall and Massey, Plane Makers" was listed as doing business at 10 Cherry Street. In 1810, 'James W. Mass' was listed in the Northern Liberties District. There was also a 'James W. Massey' listed on the 1810 census in Upper Delaware District. In 1810, he was listed as a plane maker, residing at 76 Crown Street, along with Mary Claxton, store keeper. In 1820, he was listed as a plane maker residing at 58 St. Tammany Street, located in the Northern Liberties District. In 1825 and 1830, he was again listed as a plane maker, but had moved to Kunckel Street, north of Callowhill (Kunckel Street ran just west of 3rd). In the 1830 and 1840 census records, he is listed as residing in the Northern Liberties District. James W. Massey died sometime after 1840.

Children of James W. Massey and Ann (-----), reconstructed from 1830 census information, are:

33 i. daughter, born about 1800-1810.
34 ii. daughter, born about 1800-1810.
35 iii. son, born 1810-1815.
36 iv. daughter, born 1810-1815.
37 v. son, born 1820-1825.
38 vi. daughter, born 1820-1825.
39 vii. daughter, born 1820-1825.

Sorry about the formatting - Ancestry stripped it.

Posted: 8 May 2012 2:50AM GMT
Surnames: Massey, Stewart, Smith, Dickinson
Thank you very much...Found this Obituary on Genealogybank.com -

Philadelphia Inquirer, 28 Jun 1866, Page 5:

MASSEY - On the morning of the 26th instant after a lingering illness. Mrs. Anna Massey, relict of James Massey in the 86th year of her age.

The funeral will take place from the residence of her son in law - Mr. Maurice M. Dickinson, No. 114 Margaretta street, this (Thursday) morning the 28th instant at 10 o'clock. To proceed to Mechanics Cemetery.

Found a marriage record for Sarah Massey married to Maurice M. Dickinson - 31 Oct 1833 First Universalist Church [Ancestry.com misspelled Maurice M. Dickinson, but the image shows Maurice M. Dickinson. He went also by "Morris" M. Dickinson in other records]. Ancestry.com record - Pennsylvania Church & Town Records, 1708-1985. They had three children that I know of:
Elizabeth who married Harry Elkinton; John S Dickinson died: 29 Apr 1864; Sarah Dickinson (d. 1 Sep 1869) married James Newport - they had two children: Irene Newport (d. 9 Oct 1909), and Maurice Steward Newport married Victoria Agnes McCauley

Posted: 11 May 2012 9:07PM GMT
Surnames: Massey, Dickinson, Newport
Found an obituary for James W. Massey -

Newspaper: Philadelphia Inquirer, 23 Jul 1830, page 2 - GenealogyBank.com

On the 21st inst. Mr. James W. Massey, in the 51st year of his age.

Obituary for Sallie M. Newport -

Newspaper: Public Ledger, 3 Sep 1869, page 2 - GenealogyBank.com

NEWPORT - On the 1st inst. SALLIE M. wife of J. M. Newport, and daughter of Maurice M. and Sarah Dickinson.

The relatives and friends of the family are respectfully invited to attend the funeral from the residence of her husband 117 Jacoby st., on Monday the 6th inst. at 3 P. M.

Newspaper: Philadelphia Inquirer, 22 May 1894, page 7 - GenealogyBank.com

DICKINSON - On May 20, 1894, MRS. SARAH DICKINSON, aged 83 years.

The relatives and friends of the family are respectfully invited to attend the funeral, this Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock, from her late residence, Penn Widows' Asylum, Belgrade and East Susquehanna avenue.

These Massey's were buried in Mechanics Cemetery or American Mechanics Cemetery. Believe this family was later moved to Lawnview Cemetery or Mt. Peace, because of Cemetery relocation.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions