Search for content in message boards

John and Ellen Murphy

John and Ellen Murphy

phaefner1 (View posts)
Posted: 25 Aug 2012 4:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for information on John and Ellen Murphy who lived in County Kerry in the early 1800's they may have lived in Abbeyfeale. They had 8 children born in late 1820 and 1830's some of the children emigrated to America in 1852 i believe to Palmyra New York. One of the daughters was Catherine who married Dennis O'keefe.

thanks for any help

Re: John and Ellen Murphy

bernicewheatly (View posts)
Posted: 30 Aug 2012 4:32PM GMT
Hi,
Some questions for you.
Was the family Catholic. Were Dennis & Catherine married in Ireland before immigration. With a name like Catherine Murphy with age range 1820-1830's makes it too tricky to find in Ireland, so if you can get a fix on them or their children in an American census, then I may be able to work backwards.
Regards Bernice

phaefner1 (View posts)
Posted: 31 Aug 2012 1:30PM GMT
Yes they were Catholic,
Yes they were married in Ireland i am not sure if they ever made it to the US. They had a son Dennis O'keefe who was born in Ireland in 1846 and he immigrated to the US in 1856 i am not for sure where he was i know that he showed up in Wisconsin in 1872 when he married Mary Cashman. That is all i know about Dennis. I do know that Catherine Murphy his mother was married to John Murphy they had other children that immigrated to New York in 1852 however i don't believe that Catherine did.

I do have all of the info on the children and i am trying to work backwards however i cant seem to find anything.

Any other suggestions. I know that at one time John and Ellen Murphy lived in Abbeyfeale Ireland.

Posted: 31 Aug 2012 3:52PM GMT
Edited: 31 Aug 2012 4:34PM GMT
Hi.
When Dennis O'Keefe went to States in 1856 he would have been 10 years old, as birth date 1846.
So I looked for his parents in U.S, (Dennis and Catherine O'keefe).
Heres a possible match. Note no O' just Keefe, could be transcription error.

1870 census, Wisconsin, U.S,
Dennis Keefe age 52 born Ireland.1818
Catharine Keefe age 30 born Ireland.1840
Cornelius age 12 born Wisconsin. 1858
John age 10 born Wisconsin.1860
William age 7 born Wisconsin.1863
Daniel age 4 born Wisconsin.1866
Mary age 2 born Wisconsin.1868

I know Dennis jnr is not there, he would be 24 so could be living out.

Then by 1886 there is a marriage in St Croix, Wisconsin,
Groom Jno O'Keefe
Bride Ida Henry
on 4th May 1886
Groom's father Dennis O'Keefe mother Catharine Murphy,
Bride's father Jno Henry mother -Stevens.

So to round this off, I'm thinking Dennis O'keefe & Catherine Murphy married ireland had at least 2 children catharine & Dennis 1846, maybe more before going to America and having Wisconsin kids.
What do you think?
I will keep looking, see what else turns up.
Regards Bernice

Posted: 1 Sep 2012 1:03AM GMT
Hi,
In the rootsweb world connect,theres a family starting with John Francis Murphy & wife Ellen Keefe, Abbeyfeale,with gedcom file by Pat Thomas.
If you have trouble finding it, just google John Francis Murphy - world connect project.
Regards Bernice

phaefner1 (View posts)
Posted: 1 Sep 2012 1:39PM GMT
Thanks,

I actually already have that file, that's where i was getting my info.

I also had looked at the Dennis Okeefe in your earlier reply i am not sure if that is the right family. I am going back to Wisconsin at the end of the month to see the Okeefe side of my family they might have some info that will help.

Thanks

Posted: 1 Sep 2012 2:37PM GMT
Hi, I agree its only a possible match, Sorry I wasn't trying to lead you astray, but I still think, at 10 years old that his Mam & Dad would be with him, unless deceased, maybe passenger and Immigration lists will give the answer. that marriage for John O'Keefe & Ida Henry with his parents Dennis O'keefe and Catherine Murphy sounds promising though.
Found the marriage of Dennis & Mary Cashman you mentioned, the only thing is the father is named as Daniel O'keefe, may be transcription error, you need to confirm parents with a cert or record of this marriage. Maybe you shoould contact the author of the gedcom file, Is his information verified. Also Abbyfeale is in Limerick, right on the boarder with Kerry. I hope the Winsconsin O'Keefes have some leads for you. I know there are people on this board that will join in to help.
Regards Bernice

Posted: 1 Sep 2012 3:26PM GMT
Edited: 1 Sep 2012 3:57PM GMT

John Murphy Abbyfeale.

http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/limerick/abbyfeale.htm

http://www.failteromhat.com/

On above link go to bottom click on original index, then go to Griffiths Valuation of Ireland index extracts 1848-1864.
Bernice

phaefner1 (View posts)
Posted: 1 Sep 2012 5:00PM GMT
Bernice,

you were not leading me astray at all. I am very thankful for your help and another set of eyes. I did get the marriage of Dennis and Mary i think you are right the father is listed as Daniel and no mother listed. So what i have is that based on the census it say he came in 1852 or so but i can't find anything with Dennis listed until he married Mary Cashman. My relatives said there are a lot of O'keefe at St Patrick's cemetery in Hudson maybe that will give me some help. I also have a 2nd cousin she is 88 and is said to have a lot of material on the Okeefe.

Thanks for all of your help,

Posted: 1 Sep 2012 6:11PM GMT
Hi,
When you say you have the marriage of Dennis and Mary, do you mean a cert/parish record or do you mean on familysearch. If you mean familysearch it could be transcription error.
Tell me, is all other information from that gedcom file?
Was Abbyfeale ever mentioned through your own direct oral family history, if not, then this is going to lead you in the wrong direction. You most definately should speak to your older cousin, before its too late, she may have the key to this story.
Regards Bernice
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions