Search for content in message boards

Pointers from Pennsylvania

Pointers from Pennsylvania

Stacey Pointer Holik (View posts)
Posted: 13 Feb 2001 2:25PM GMT
To any Pointers out there. I'm from Pa.and as far as I know most of my family was from this area. I would like to see if there are any relatives out there .
My grandmother was Mary Bellish Married to William Pointer. As far as I can see they all ( william and his siblings)lived in a small community of Walkers Mill
THis is just outside of Pittsburgh Pa.

Re: Pointers from Pennsylvania

lpointer (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jun 2001 3:21AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Pointer, Bellish
Stacy,
Have had correspondence with an aunt of yours some time ago who sent me the names of the six children of William & Mary Bellish Pointer of Carnegie PA. She mentioned that William had a brother Robert. Do you know the names of any of Robert's children or who his wife was? She also mentioned that William indicated that he was Irish.

KathyGoldenbogen (View posts)
Posted: 1 Nov 2008 3:13AM GMT
My grandfather came from Walkers Mill, Pa. He was one of 6 children born to William Pointer and Mary Johanna Young.
William left his wife and 6 children and moved to Missouri and then on to Texas where he died. I've been trying to find out about his life from the time he left till his body was returned to Walkers Mill where he is buried. Hopefully your the connection I need.

Posted: 1 Nov 2008 3:32AM GMT
Upon looking at my information, The William your looking for is the son of the William I gave you prior information about.

lpointer (View posts)
Posted: 1 Nov 2008 4:31PM GMT
Surnames: POINTER
Could you give us the date of birth and death of the William Pointer for whom you are seeking information? It would appear that one of the William Pointers residing in Allegheny Co. PA on the 1920 Census with wife Mary, children: Clara 1900, Robert 1902, Gertrude 1904, George 1905, William 1910 and Mary Magdeline 1911, was not on the 1910 Census in Allegheny Co., but three of his children, Robert, Gertrude, and George are found on the 1910 Census in the St. Paul's Orphan Asylum with what appears to be more than 100 other children. Thus it is possible that there may be more to this story than meets the eye. The 1920 Census indicates that Mary was born in Ohio. I was not able to locate them on the 1900 Census (yet) but one would expect that they should appear in either Ohio or PA.
On the 1930 Census, Gertrude is back living with her mother, who is listed as a widow. Gertrude is divorced and has two children living with her at her mother's home. Her sister Mary is also living there.

Posted: 1 Nov 2008 10:18PM GMT
I don't have the birth or death dates of William. However, this is the right William. The son George on the 1920 census is my grandfather. I don't know what the story is about the 1910 census. I didn't know that Robert, Gertrude and George where is the St. Paul's Orphan Asylum until my cousin Bob sent me the info (Bob is Robert's grandson) Mary's given name is Mary Johanna Young I have some information on her parents. The fact that the 1930 census lists Mary as a widow is because William left them. It might of been her way of keeping things respectful. When William died (in Texas I think) Mary brought his body home and he's buried in Carnegie. Mary died in 1949. I'll see what I can find out from my dad and I'll see what Bob can find out from his end.

lpointer (View posts)
Posted: 2 Nov 2008 4:53PM GMT
The fact that William & Mary were not with their children in 1910, would indicate that there may have been some type of tragedy. There are several children that must have been with their mother/parents because they appear in 1920, for example, Clara Pointer was 20 years old on the 1920 Census. I have searched all of Pennsylvania in 1910 looking for them as a family and as individuals. Have found not documents for them. It was not uncommon in those days for men to go to Texas, California or even Colorado for the purpose of getting work. They often left their wives at home while attempting to find land or work.

My husband's grandfather, William Pointer of Missouri, left his two sons with their grandmother in the late 1890's. In 1900, I found him in California in a boarding house where it listed him as a miner, that he was married, etc. In fact his wife ran off with another man around 1900, and her two sons were told she had died and actually believed that she had died in the 1900 flood in Texas. In 1963, my father-in-law received a phone call from one of his Missouri cousins, who told him that her family had received a phone call from a woman in Texas, calling to let her know that her mother had died. Turns out that the mother my father-in-law had not seen since 1900, had been alive and well in Oklahoma and later in San Antonio Texas. She had"married" a man and had six children with him and none of them had ever known that she had been previously married. She was actually in her 90's when she died and her tombstone relates the dates of birth that her children had believed to be hers (off by nearly 11 years). My father-in-law was hurt, astounded, unbelieving, etc., but at least told us about this. He never attempted any connection with this family in Texas after learning of her death because he didn't want them to think he was looking for money and he was to hurt to contact them.

After he died in 1975, my husband and I were going to San Antonio and while there met with one of his half-sisters and several children of the family. We later met with another half-sister in Alabama and have since become quite close to the Alabama sister's daughter, attending her wedding and she visiting our home as well.

Nothing is impossible and I am sure there is a record in either Missouri or Texas which might explain some of the missing information that you are seeking. It is always possible that the three children who had been left in the orphanage had first been left with a grandparent who died and there was no other family to care for them, or that their mother, Mary, was ill for a period of time and could not care for them.

Could you please fill me in with the names of your parents so that I can place you in my database among the Pointer descendants if I am able to find information you are looking for.

Sincerely,
Linda J. Pointer

Posted: 2 Nov 2008 11:55PM GMT
Linda,
Robert, Getrude & George were in the orphanage for a short time, as my Great gradmother couldn't feed them. My great grandfather left them sometime after Mary's birth in 1908.

I believe that maybe my great grandmother listed herself as a widow on the 1920 census out of shame(?). From what I understand, there wasn't much contact with him. I do know, that despite it all, she still brought his body home and had him buried in the family plot. I don't know when he died, but she died in 1949. I also think that there is a possiblity that he might have had another family after he left. I'm still working on that.
Thanks for your information and for sharing your husbands story.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions