Search for content in message boards

Bethuel BARRON, b. 1771 Surry NH, son of William

Bethuel BARRON, b. 1771 Surry NH, son of William

pbausman (View posts)
Posted: 8 Dec 2007 5:34AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Barron Williams Kilpatrick
I want to find out what happened to Bethuel Barron after his childhood in Surry NH:

Bethuel Barron, b. 1771, Surry NH, to William and Tabitha (Williams) Barron. Not with father's family in 1790 census. Bequeathed a horse by his father in his Feb. 1796 will. Despite the claim of a nephew, Bethuel was obviously too young to have served in the Revolutionary War.

The following records of men named Bethuel Barron who could well all be the same man and could be Bethuel of Surry. Except for the claimed English birthplace of two of them and the claim of Revolutionary War service for one, there are no inconsistencies or overlap between the records:

#1 Bethuel Barron of New York, father of Carrh Barron: Carrh was said to have been born in Owasco (was Aurelius), Cayuga Co, NY, in 1809. We learn of his father, Bethuel, through a Michigan town history covering the son. Apparently died in Murray (now Clarkson), Genesee (now Monroe) Co, NY, about 1813. The history says Carrh's father was in the Revolution and that he was born in England. No census records for the family for either of these towns. The only conflict between the father Bethuel and Bethuel of Surry is the birthplace and the claimed Rev. War Service. However, Carrh was only about age four when his father died and he could have merely been mistaken, or could he have reversed the birthplaces of his parents? Could he have mistaken a grandfather's (William Barron's?) service for his father's? Possibly confused the Rev. War with the War of 1812? (Carrh's children's names: Almon, Mary E. or A., Sarah E., Udolpha H[elen?], and Barton Day (maybe Day Barton)) No Bethuel in grantor or grantee indexes in Cayuga Co; no surrogate records (probate) in Cayuga indexes; no Bethuel in Cayuga Co history.

#2 _____ Barron, father of Bethuel Barron. Son Bethuel was born 1810-12 in New York and died between 1800 and 1900; lived in Atlas, Genesee Co, MI, from at least 1860 until his death between 1880 and 1900. Married in NY to Alice Kilpatrick (or Kirkpatrick?). Bethuel claimed his father was b. England and mother in NY. He seems to have been newly married in 1850, living in Sennett, Cayuga Co, NY; he may have lived a few years in Illinois; and moved to MI bfore 1861. Bethuel's children's names: Kate, Emma, George, Nella, and Roland; apparently had one more. Two of Carrh's (see above) daughters married men from Atlas; Groveland, Carrh's home, and Atlas, although in different counties, are adjoining townships. Name of father unknown, but Bethuel could well be the brother of Carrh (occurance of name Bethuel, dates, Cayuga Co. connection, Atlas connection, etc.) and hence a son of Carrh's father, Bethuel.

#3 Bethuel Barron, in Aurelius, Cayuga Co, NY, in 1800: Male and female both 26-44; 2 boys under 10, 1 girl under 10. Age calcs: 1755-74 for adults, 1789-1800 for kids; marriage bef. 1796. No census records there in 1790 or 1810. This man could be the father of Carrh and/or above Bethuel (the three kids in the census are older, though). Assuming the story of Carrh's father is correct, it is highly likely that #3 is identical with #1 because Owasco (Carrh's supposed birthplace) was formed from Aurelius and several of Bethuel's neighbors in 1800 were found in Owasco in 1810.

#4 Bethuel Barron, in War of 1812: Served from NY; should have been b. bef. 1796. Murray, the town where #1 died was said to have been a busy thoroughfare during the War of 1812. Since #1 died in 1813, maybe he died in the war?

Does anyone know anything more about these four? Thanks, Pat

Re: Bethuel BARRON, b. 1771 Surry NH, son of William

mh2717 (View posts)
Posted: 21 Apr 2010 4:06AM GMT
Surnames: Barron, Ellenwood
I am a decendant of Carrh D. and Bethuel. My great-great aunt told me that Bethuel was in the Rev. War and he was from England. This story was passed down through many generations. Carrh was born in 1809 and his father died in 1813. I have tried to figure out the dilemma of the Rev. War. I have found a Bethuel Barron in the War of 1812.

I didn't know about the Barron in Atlas. It could be Carrh's brother. I do know an Electa Ann Barron married Calvin Ellenwood. Electa would have been the right age to be a sister of Carrh and both she and Calvin came from western NY to Michigan. The Barrons married into the Ellenwood family twice. The two families always had their reunions together calling them the Ellenwood-Barron Reunion andI know Electa is related to Carrh. I always believed she was a sister, but couldn't prove it.
Like the ____Barron in Atlas, Carrh said his father was born in England and mother in N.Y.
I have also wondered about the Surry Barrons. Bethuel could have come to the colonies as a small child with his parents.
I don't know much more than you.
M

pbausman (View posts)
Posted: 21 Apr 2010 1:53PM GMT
Surnames: Barron Baron Barnes Barns
Thank you for the reply. What a mysterious family! I'll take a look at the Ellenwood connection.

The Bethuel in the War of 1812 served from the general vicinity of Carrh's birthplace.

As far as the Bethuel I'm looking at (son of William of Surry), this Bethuel was definitely born in Surry. His birth and baptism are recorded there. His father was in what became Keene, NH, between 1750 and 1752. William is "said" to be from Ireland, but no evidence of that; but it seems likely that he was an immigrant and is not part of the large group of Barrons who lived in Middlesex Co, Mass.

mh2717 (View posts)
Posted: 21 Apr 2010 4:23PM GMT
If you have proof Bethuel of Surry was born in the states, then, he must be a different Bethuel. I do believe the Bethuel in WAR 1812 is Carrh's father, but can't prove it. Electa Ann died in 1850 and I can't find anything on her.
I'm sure from oral history that Carrh's father came from England. The oral history always said he was in the Rev. War, too. ( But maybe, it was Carrh's grandfather and everyone got it mixed up.)

cskjr11 (View posts)
Posted: 5 Mar 2013 4:53AM GMT
Surnames: Barron/Ellenwood
My husband is a direct decendent of a Samuel Southard Barron b Aug 13 1798 in NY who married Ann Wickham. They relocated to Ohio. According to my husband's grandmother, Samuel was the son of Samuel Barron and Sarah Strong. Samuel and Sarah had the following children: Ferdinand, Samuel Southard, Alonzo, Le Roy, Carr, Electa who married Ellenwood, Bethuel a Presbyterian minister and Sarah who married a Stocker. Three of those names fit into your senario. Accoring to my records, Electa was the sister of both Carr and Bethuel.

pbausman (View posts)
Posted: 5 Mar 2013 7:02AM GMT
Surnames: Barron Baron Barnes
Thank you so much for that information! Those names do ring bells. I have not worked on this family for quite a while; I guess I got frustrated when I couldn't account for my Bethuel. From what you say (and also the other poster in 2010), it sounds like we are talking about two different men, unique though their names are. I think you are spurring me on to finishing this family. I do think from your info. and from the other poster (in 2010) that we are talking about different men. I will print this and save it for when I get back to this family.

cskjr11 (View posts)
Posted: 6 Mar 2013 5:03AM GMT
Are you then a decendent of Samuel Barron and Sarah Strong? Or, are you researching a different family? From what my husband's grandmother documented, this Samuel, father of Bethuel and the other's that I listed, are related to the Barrons of the Va Navy, they were commodores. Good luck in your search.

pbausman (View posts)
Posted: 6 Mar 2013 9:16PM GMT
Surnames: Barron Barnes Baron
My husband is a descendant of probable immigrant William Barron of Surry NH, and his son, another William, who was the half-brother of the Bethuel I was inquiring about. Thanks again, Pat
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions