Search for content in message boards

Snowdon's of Great Ayton/Eston

Snowdon's of Great Ayton/Eston

Debbie Vose (View posts)
Posted: 16 Sep 2002 6:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lister, Snowdon, Knaggs, McNamara
I would welcome any information from anyone who has a Snowdon in their family tree. I have traced them being born in Great Ayton and being buried in church Lane cemetery in Eston. Other names in my family tree which may be useful to you include: McNamara - Grangetown, Listers - Eston, Knaggs - Guisborough,Marske area.

If you are unable to help with the names I am trying to research Eston as a parish and have evidence my G G G Grandfather built three streets opposite the cemetery known as Albert Rd, Flora St and Snowdon St anyone with any information on these streets your information is invaluable to me.

Thank you for reading my message.

Re: Snowdon's of Great Ayton/Eston

MikeLWheatley (View posts)
Posted: 26 Nov 2002 11:15PM GMT
Edited: 14 Nov 2005 8:27PM GMT
Surnames: Snowdon, Lister
Hi Debbie,

We have a friend who is descended from the Snowdon's of Eston.
Her grandmother was Gertrude Blanche Snowdon b.1882 dau of James Snowden b.c.1844/5 Eston.

And my wife Brenda was born close by at Normanby - so she knows the area well!

Her aunts and uncles lived at 48 Church Lane in the 1950s and 60s.
Their neighbours were called Lister and they were thought to have built the streets which interest you.

Brenda's mother had a grocery shop on the corner of Snowdon Street and Albert Road in the early 1960s.
My wife says that Albert Road went off Church Lane almost opposite the entrance to the cemetery, Snowdon
St was off to the left of Albert Road and Flora Street at the end off to the right,
As Nigel says Albert Road continued (after Flora St) - but just as a track through some allotments.

I have looked at an early map and it shows that originally it was a track that went on for a few miles to a
village called Lackenby.
The map is undated but is sometime between 1850 and 1900.
I suspect early because it does not show any of the streets you are interested in.

And I could not find those streets on my 1881 Census CD (but may be there).
Brenda says that area was known as Newtown, Eston (to distinguish it from Old Eston which goes back to
Elizabethan times 15th century).

What information do you already have on the streets?
Especially dates!

We occasionally visit the North Yorkshire County Record Office at Northallerton.
It may well have some records of interest to you such as the register of deeds

The following book will also be of interest to you:
Title: The Story of Eston. A Social History. Embracing the townships of Eston, Normanby, South Bank and
Grangetown.
Author: WILSON, Maurice Edward
Publication details: Redcar: the Author, 1972. pp. 298: illus., maps. 23 cm.

The book may still be available from the printers (of many local books):
A.A.Sotheran Ltd, 14-16 Queen Street, Redcar, Cleveland, TS10 AF, UK
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/sotheran
email: sotheran@compuserve.com

Brenda's sister has a copy which we have read.
Some of it is rather dry - but there are many interesting parts too!
Unfortunately it does not have an index which makes it difficult to use for research.
And there is not a lot on Grangetown (which only came into being in the 1880s).

The book relates that (in 1963) Charlie Snowdon [brother of Gertrude above] worked at the blacksmiths forge
opposite the Stapylton public house. My wife remembers hearing the clang of the hammer on the anvil as she
walked past as a child.
Sadly the forge long ago fell into disuse and was deteriorating before it was converted into bungalows only a
few years ago.
The book says the forge was in use (by Snowdons) since Elizabethan times and probably long before.

It also says there are over 290 entries of Snowdon in the Eston Parish Register so there are a lot of look up
possibilities for Johanna!
There is a printed transcript (with index) of this parish register published long ago by the YAS.

Let us know details of your Snowdon ancestry and we'll try to link them to our friend's ancestors!

No doubt you have already found relevant entries in the UK Census Returns?
If not I can get some info for you (as I have the 1881 Census CD).
And you can search the 1901 census via the PRO website for yourself if you wish.
Ask me if you have difficulties as I can narrow the search by having local knowledge!

Hope we have helped you a little and with some more info from you can help some more!

Regards, Mike and Brenda Wheatley

PS was your Ayton ancestor Thomas Snowdon b.c.1813/4?

mcmanusc57 (View posts)
Posted: 27 Nov 2002 8:19PM GMT
Edited: 18 Jan 2004 10:37PM GMT
Surnames: Snowdon, Leckenby
Hi,
I have a George SNOWDON in my family who married Elizabeth LECKENY 1 Jan 1805 at Whorlton. I do not know other than that, but the Lackenby/Leckenby family had family all along the north Yorkshire moors including Gt.Ayton and Eston.

neil868 (View posts)
Posted: 17 Apr 2003 5:24PM GMT
Hi! I am a snowdon (originally from middlesbrough) now living in leicester. My parents still live in middlesbrough, grandfather was born around there (possibly Hartlepool? or Durham? not sure His name was Cuthbert...trendy eh? I think he was born about 1907, died aged 89 in Worthing. My Grandfathers sisters and brothers are still alive (bar one) most in their 90s (one is a nun)! If this is of any help let me know. I am no family tree buff....only just stumbled across this ite so forgive me if Im not helping1

Regards

neil

ggarda (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jan 2004 3:33AM GMT
Surnames: Snowdon/Estabrooks/King/Cook/Patchell-McKay
My great-great-great-great grandfather was Pickering Snowdon, born in 1748 in Great Ayton, Yorkshire, and died in 1830 in Wood Point, NB. (his son, Valentine Snowdon had a daughter, Judith Snowdon who married a Samuel Cook in 1851 in Sackville, NB, who had a son, Stephen R. Cook in 1863, who had a son, Harold Stephen Cook in 1898, who had a daughter, Hazel in 1921.....who is my mother, who had 12 children!) There are many, many, many more siblings!

KayeDisch22 (View posts)
Posted: 2 Sep 2004 3:47PM GMT
I have been doing research also. I have just begin. My grandmother's name was Flora Snowdon. How about that? She lived in Illinois. She married Fred Josp Dodson, which there were 9 children. She was born in 1885 and died in 1925. Her mother's name was Mary Snowdon Butler. That as far as I've gotten.

Pounder (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jan 2005 5:27AM GMT
Surnames: Boagy/ogey,Coner, Pounder, Scorer, Snowdon/en.- Hartlepool
Hi Neil, We have a number of Snowdon/en's from Hartlepool in our tree. They are linked through Robert Snowdon/en Father to Charlotte Ann Snowdon/en who married James Pounder, (our Grand parents). The link to you though may be through the name Cuthbert Snowdon/en, as we have three with that name in our tree; Cuthbert Snowdon/en 1813 - 1893 married Sarah Harker 1840, Cuthbert 1853 - 1888 married Sarah Jane R Johnson c1876, William Cuthbert 1879 - 1932 born Deptford Kent ( Robert was son of the first Cuthbert, Brother to the second, uncle to the third ).
What do you think ?
Pounder NZ :-)

Pounder (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jan 2005 6:06AM GMT
Surnames: Boagy/ogey, Corner, Pounder, Scorer Snowdon/en _ Hartlepool
Hi Neil, Me again , just found another Cuthbert Snowdon/en in our tree ; Cuthbert born c 1876 (Son of Joseph 1852 - 1919 who wass another brother of our Robert) Cuthbert married Edith ? - Their children were Edith,William,Vera,Joseph.
Cheeres from NZ :-)

snowdon (View posts)
Posted: 14 Feb 2005 7:58PM GMT
Surnames: Fowler
Hi I have Fowlers in my line, mine being George, sone of Charles and Mary, married 1831, george being born in 1832/3. I do know they were related somehow to a valentine Fowler, but m getting a little lost. Charles was born in York as was George. Can you give me any help. Thanks, Elaine

karenpurvis_1 (View posts)
Posted: 12 Apr 2005 11:42PM GMT
Surnames: Snowdon
Can you make a connection?
Northumberland Area? England
William Snowdon father of Isabella, Mary, Eddie, Ellen, Florence William
If so contact me on Karenpurvis@hotmail.co.uk
Any info much appreciated. thanx
per page

Find a board about a specific topic