Search for content in message boards

Missing Featheroff

Missing Featheroff

Shane_E_Griffith (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jul 2012 3:46PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Edited: 29 Jul 2012 5:13PM GMT
Surnames: Featheroff, Romine, Featherolf, Fetheroff, Fetherolf

I'm trying to locate the name of the Husband(?) to a Mrs. Stella Mae Featheroff (1918-1996)(maiden name is Romine)

I have found plenty of information on her from her birth in 1918-up to 1942 in the Lancaster city directory with her maiden name, and then she disappears from the records until 1954 under the married name of Featheroff, listed alone.

I am 100% sure it is her, according to the information in her death records.
I know who her children are as well, but I cannot locate a single shred of information on who the husband/father of the children is.

I've tracked down all of the male Featheroff's in Fairfield co. that I can find, and none fit the bill, and due to her lack of appearance in city directories found here from 1943-1953, she may have met & married Mr. Featheroff elsewhere.

However, her children, all with the last name of Featheroff, were born between 1947-1953 in Lancaster which leads me to believe they were living here.

I do know that he probably died by 1954 as he is never shown listed with Stella in the city directories, and her death records from 1996 list her as a widow.

Any addtional information or help pointing me in the right direction would by greatly appreciated! :)

Re: Missing Featheroff

thomasker2 (View posts)
Posted: 18 Aug 2012 9:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
TRY - Find a grave – FREE SITE - volunteer site all states; frequently has headstone pic
DO NOT SEARCH FOR A MARRIED WOMAN USING HER MAIDEN NAME.

http://www.worldvitalrecords.com/

Are ALL the children living????
Has ONE died??? Order that child's death cert. directly from the county of death clerks office. Parents names should be listed on the cert as well as the burial location.

Posted: 21 Aug 2012 7:54PM GMT

I've been at this hobby for a while now, and I'm pretty good at tracking people down. I have all the information I need on the wife, and children. It's the husband that remains a total mystery here.

I've Been down the find a grave route, and it was a dead end.

I have been in phone contact with the last living child, but he was raised by his maternal grandmother, and he had no idea who his father was.

I had considered ordering the death certificate of one of the other children, but one method requires that give the father's name (which is what I'm after),
and the other method requires paying $30, which to me, just isn't worth the cost to get a single name.

I will just continue to hope that someone from Lancaster who knows this person, will come along and see this thread.

I appreciate the link, but if I haven't found it through my other methods, than I seriously doubt that another paying ancestry site is going to have what I'm after. ;)

r2larson (View posts)
Posted: 21 Aug 2012 9:38PM GMT
Have you tried marriage indexes?

r2larson (View posts)
Posted: 21 Aug 2012 9:42PM GMT
Edited: 21 Aug 2012 9:45PM GMT
better yet, just order her obit for $1 from FCG:
http://www.fairfieldgenealogy.org/index.htm

FEATHEROFF, Stella Mae June 3, 1996 June 4, 1996 151
FEATHEROFF, Stella Mae June 3, 1996 June 5, 1996 152

r2larson (View posts)
Posted: 21 Aug 2012 9:53PM GMT
There is an Everett L. Featherhoff in Elmwood cemetery in Berne. Born May. 5, 1947 Died Feb. 2, 1963. Could that be him?

Posted: 21 Aug 2012 10:06PM GMT
Edited: 21 Aug 2012 10:59PM GMT
Thanks for the reply!

Everett Featheroff was the first born child, who was killed in a car accident at 15years old.

Marriage records are a blank as well. I have complete documentation on Stella from Birth to the 1940 census, and then nothing until 1954 in a city directory, and then plenty of articles up until her death in 1996.
The children are fairly well documented as well, and I've even been in contact with the last living son, and tracked down his sister that was given up for adoption at 5 years old!

All of this, and yet I can't find the Husbands name! :0

I've got a relative who lives in Lancaster who got the Obituary for me, and it didn't list a husband either. Just a short little paragraph listing the two (at the time) living children and her mother.

Of all the people I've researched in my tree, this Mr. Featheroff has been the greatest mystery. There were plenty of Featheroffs in the area at the time, but I can't link any of them to the wife or children, and usually that isn't a problem.
If I could just be alive in 70 years to see the 1950 census, I may get the answer there! lol! :)

nbackfence (View posts)
Posted: 21 Aug 2012 10:42PM GMT
Send a written request, with a SASE, to the Fairfield Department of Health, requesting a genealogical abstract from the death certificate for the child who died in the 1960's. Provide the child's name and date of death. You will receive a complete abstract of everything on the death certificate. Of course, the informant, probably his mother, may not have provided that information. But, a genealogical abstract is free. You can also request an abstract of this child's birth certificate.

r2larson (View posts)
Posted: 21 Aug 2012 11:05PM GMT
And did you find an obit for everett?

r2larson (View posts)
Posted: 21 Aug 2012 11:05PM GMT
or a newspaper article about the car accident?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions