Search for content in message boards

Jacob Garrard

Jacob Garrard

LindaEvans1010 (View posts)
Posted: 12 Mar 2002 3:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Oct 2002 2:12PM GMT
Jacob was born abt 1789 in SC possibly near Chester Co and died Nov 12, 1845 in Crawford Co,IL He is my 4th. ggrandfather and am hoping to prove his ancestry. His father was William Garrard b. Jan 1,1760 in Stafford Co,VA(per Rev War records)and died May 13, 1840 also in Crawford Co,IL Some say he married a Ruth ? tho not proven and had Jacob, Margaret, William, John and 1 other female who died before 1839. After leaving Chester Co, SC they went for a few months to GA (possibly to visit relatives, his brothers Jacob and John)? and then on to Christian Co,KY where my Jacob married a Elizabeth Dorn in 1809. Williams land was taken back for non payment of taxes and so on to Crawford Co,IL they went there before 1818 (were in the 1820 census)
I am getting the feeling that this William b 1760 was the son of Jacob Garrard Sr. He did name his first son Jacob and were in the same areas and states at same time as the other Garrard families.
Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Jacob Garrard

HGC55 (View posts)
Posted: 22 Sep 2009 4:11AM GMT
Have you seen the will of Mildred Garrard,widow of Jacob, dated 10 February 1815? She names several sons, one a William. "Be it remembered that I Mildred Garrard of the county of Orange and State of North Carolina, being very weak of body but of sound mind and memory, do make this my last Will and Testament, in manner and form following: I will that all my just debts and funeral charges be first paid as speedely after my decease as possible by my Executors hereinafter named. I give and bequeath to William Carrington and heirs five shillings. I give and bequeath to William Garrard five shillings current money. I give and bequeath to my son-in-law Joshua Childers the like sum of five shillings. I give and bequeath to the heirs of my son-in-law George Bryant, five shillings. I give and bequeath to my son Daniel Garrard five shillings current money. I give and bequeath to my daughter-in-law, Elizabeth Garrard, the sum of five shillings current money. I give and bequeath to my son John Garrard the like sum of five shillings. I give and bequeath to my son Jacob Garrard the sum of five shillings current money. I give and bequeath to my son Carter N. Garrard one bed furniture and four chairs. I give and bequeath to my son Samuel Garrard, one bed and furniture, 4 chairs together with the tract of land whereon I now live containing seventy nine acres and one tenth. I give and bequeath to my daughter Susy Garrard, two beds and furniture, two bay horses (Paddy & Tory), one cow called Pide and one yearling, four chairs and one chest. It is my will also that the residue of my moveable property be divided between Samuel, Carter and Susy Garrard equally. I nominate and appoint my friend James Walker and Carter Garrard sole Executors of this my last will and Testament and I hereby revoke and disannul all other Wills and Testaments by me in any wise made. In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this 10th day of February Eighteen hundred and fifteen.
--Mildred Garrard seal.
Signed, sealed & published by her in the presence of us who have set our names as witnesses: Lot G. Watson, Chuza Hopkins
Orange County May Term 1816
The Execution of the foregoing last Will and Testament of Mildred Garrard deceased, was duly proved in open court by the oath of Lot G. Watson a subscribing witness thereto and ordered to be recorded at the same time Carter Garrard, one of the Executors therein named qualified accordingly."

StevensCarterFamily (View posts)
Posted: 17 Feb 2011 11:13AM GMT
Surnames: Carter Garrard

The name Carter N. Garrard caught my attention. I'm wondering if there could be a connection to this Carter family:

Will of Giles Carter of King George County, Virginia

Will Book A-I 1721-1752 pages 186-187

November 19, 1745
February 7, 1745 (1745/6)

Item: I give unto my son in law Anthony Gerrard one shilling sterling.

Item: I give unto William Garrard, my grandson one Crown sterling.

HGC55 (View posts)
Posted: 18 Feb 2011 12:54AM GMT
Surnames: garrard, carter
How very interesting. The Anthony Garrard who was the father of Carter N. Garrard was born in 1754, the event recorded in the Overwharton Parish register (have seen it). He therefore cannot be the Anthony named in Giles Carter's will. Anthony of Overwharton's father was Jacob (same source). Anthony's stepmother was Mildred Garrard, who named her son Carter N. Garrard in her will of 1815.

Therefore we have two Anthonys. Interesting.

I find it odd at best that there should be two Carter N. Garrards separated by two generations who were not related. Worth studying further.

The Garrards in this Giles Carter will would seem to be of the Gov. William Garrard of Kentucky line, which I haven't researched. William and Anthony were common names. What this indicates for me is the possibility of proof of connection between the Anthony of Overwharton and the William of Kentucky. As to Carters, a common name. All intersting. Thanks!

mrgarr (View posts)
Posted: 8 Feb 2012 10:44PM GMT
Surnames: Garrard
You mention William's brothers Jacob & John. Do you have any more info about them, how you know he had them etc? William's parents are the ones I'm interested in, but had never run across mention of brothers names--very interested. thanks
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions