Search for content in message boards

William Lightner

William Lightner

lcsims1 (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jan 2001 12:33PM GMT
Edited: 18 Jul 2004 5:37PM GMT
I am looking for any info concerning my Father William Lightner. When I was approx. five, by mother Rosetta, nee Richardson, Richarderson, Richardersen, Richardisen, Lightner, died, in the 50's. She was a welder in an air plane plant during WW II. When I was approx. 8 or 9 years old, my Father let a cousin, Edward Sims and wife, Tina, adopt me and I was raised in Georgia Alabama. The last known address for my father, Lightner, was 4th Ave. Columbus Ohio. This was in the 60's. He died in the late 60's or early 70's I think. I can remember my family saying my father was of Indian heritage. I can also remember a photo of my grandmother and her sister being in Indian dresses. I was born December 20, 1948, in Phoenix City, Alabama. Thank You, William E. "Bill" Sims (Lightner) Contact me at lcsims1@msn.com

edit

William E Lightner Sims (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jan 2001 8:38PM GMT
the last known address of my father was 4th ave columbus Georgia (not ohio)
I was adopted by a family member Edward Sims that was in the Air Force and moved away.
I am trying to find my real family.

Re: edit

Realityexcaper (View posts)
Posted: 23 Apr 2012 3:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lightner
I think I have found some information on your parents. Since the release of the 1940 census, there is tons of other info also including city directories. There are also family trees that have Rosetta Richardson in them. Several have her date of death being 24 Jan 1963 in Columbus, Muscogee, GA. And several have your father as the exact same death date. I went to findagrave.com and can't find either gravesite listed but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I checked both Georgia and Alabama since Phenix City is actually located in Alabama. The city directories (many that I have seen listing both of your parents) show Columbus/Phenix City, GA. That's actually not correct. I live in southwest Georgia and go to Columbus quite a bit. Of course the family trees I have mentioned are all sourced with facts or I would not pay attention to them at all. I have 14 trees going now of my own on of them being my Lightners, hence, finding your message that brought tears to my eyes so here I am. I'm here to help as much I can. I have not figured out how we are related but no doubt we are. I love brick walls and mysteries and this is definitely one. If you are on Ancestry.com, send me a message and I will send youmy email. I will keep this search in mind while working on my tree. - Dawn

Re: William Lightner

hester1955 (View posts)
Posted: 17 Oct 2012 6:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
Your father, William Marion Lightner, married 1. Lillian (Surname unknown to me) 2. Rosetta Richardson and 3. Glennie Nell Kernodle. I discovered Glennie's name through online research and Rosetta's name from your postings. Glennie was born Feb. 7, 1922 and died Sept. 26, 2006 in Columbus, GA according to a partial obituary I was able to obtain for her. The obit was published in the Columbus Ledger Enquirer. Death Certificate information for William Marion Lightner was found at FamilySearch.org under Alabama Statewide Deaths 1908-1974. The site gave the information that William Marion Lightner died on 29 Jun 1967 in Phenix City, AL and that his spouse was Glennie and his parents were C. B. Lightner and Fannie Cowart. World War II Enlistment Records show that William M. Lightner was born 1911 in Georgia. On 8 Jul 1942 he was a resident of Muscogee Co., GA and his marital status was separated, with dependents.
William Marion Lightner was a son of Clark B. Lightner and his wife, Fannie Alberta Cowart. Clark Lightner was my grandmother's brother. Clark B. Lightner was born March 1888 in Jamestown, Chattahoochee Co., GA and died between Feb.-April 1916, probably in Georgia. His widow, Alberta, married married Walter W. Kent (widower of Mollie Ethel Johnston) of Louvale, GA in Russell Co., AL in 1921. Clark Lightner was a son of James Marion Lightner (1836 Jones Co.,GA-1909 Chattahoochee Co.,GA)and his 1st wife, Catherine Augusta Adams (1850 GA-1891 Jamestown, Chattahoochee Co., GA. Besides Clark, the children of Marion and Augusta Adams Lightner were as follows: Minnie L. Lightner (1871-1872), James E. Lightner (1874-1880), Ennis Mitchel Lightner (1877 -1961; md. Willie McGlaun), Charles "Charlie" E. Lightner (1878-1909, unmarried), Alice Lucinda Lightner (1882-1976; md. W. M. Peed - note: ending with a d.), Mary Ella Lightner (1884-1965; md. James David McGlaun)and Catherine/Katherine "Kate" Augusta Lightner (1891-1961; md. Pelzer Benson Peek - note: ending with a k). Marion Lightner's 1st wife, Augusta, died Jan. 14, 1891, 3 days after Kate's birth. He married his 2nd and last wife, Miss Alesy Ellen Psalmonds on Oct. 22, 1891. No children by the 2nd marriage.
James Marion Lightner was a son of Eli Lightner and his wife, Lucinda Tucker (b. 1815 GA)who were married in Jones Co., GA in Dec. 1835. The marriage record gives her name as Lucinda P. Tucker. Relatives show her name as Amanda Lucinda Tucker or Lucinda Amanda Tucker. They moved to Harris Co., GA and were in Muscogee Co., GA by 1850. The southern part of that county became Chattahoochee Co. in the 1850's. Besides Marion, the children of Eli & Lucinda were Catherine Camilla Lightner Albrecht, John Mitchel Lightner (of Union Springs AL), Martha A. Amanda Lightner Smith, Fannie E./R. Lightner Cooksey Lightner and Lucinda "Lucy" Harriet Lightner Williams.
Eli Lightner was a son of Philip Lightner who was born in South Carolina (probably Fairdield Dist.) and his wife, Elizabeth (born c. 1785SC; d. bet 1870-1880 Bibb Co., GA). Philip was in Jones Co., GA before 1811 and died probably before 1820. His widow, whose maiden name is unknown, married 2nd Josiah Erwin, a widower with children. That couple had more children. Eli's known Lightner siblings were John Thomas Lightner (md. Caroline Harrington; moved to Marion/Schley Co., GA), Mary Lavina/Lavinia "Vina" Lightner (md. Timothy McPherson; moved to Bibb Co., GA), Barbary Luvicie/Louise Lightner, md. Arthur McPherson, and Elizabeth Lightner (d. unmarried). Christian/Christina Erwin who married Julius Mitchel Owens in 1850 was another sibling.
Philip Lightner was a son of John/John Christian Lightner and his wife, Mary, of Fairfield Co., SC. John was probably a son of the emigrant, Christian (aka Christopher) Lightner/Leitner/Leytner who arrived in Charleston in 1752 on the Rowand, a ship out of Rotterdam, Holland. John Lightner was probably a brother of Maj. Michael Leitner of the Revolution.
Mrs. Catherine Augusta Adams Lightner was a daughter of Edwin Adams and wife, Sarah "Sallie" Fisher and a granddaughter of Phillip Adams and wife, Holly D. Rudd of SC and Talbot Co., GA and the very wealthy Rev. Charles Fisher who died 1866 in Chattahoochee Co., GA and his wife, Mary Helms. Rev. Fisher, a Methodist, descended from a Mecklenburg Co., NC family. He was born either there or in Greene Co., GA. His wife, Mary Helms, was evidently a stepdaughter of Rev. John Covington of Washington Co., GA.
Rev. Fisher was a son of William Fisher and wife, Nancy Phillips. Rev. Fisher's sister, Mrs. Elizabeth Fisher Helms, was an ancestor of President Carter.
Philip Adams was a son of George Adams and wife, Sarah Proctor, of SC. His wife, Holly, was a daughter of Fields Rudd of SC.
Several members of the Lightner, Adams and Fisher families are buried at Old Shiloh Methodist Church Cemetery/Old Jamestown Cemetery, Chattahoochee Co., GA. The cemetery is now located on the Ft. Benning Military Reservation.
There is a tradition of Native American ancestry which has been passed down through at least two of the daughters of James Marion Lightner. Mrs. Lucinda Tucker Lightner apparently had quite a bit of American Indian ancestry. I do not know how it came in. She may have been a daughter of Timothy Tucker, who was in Jones Co.,GA by 1829/30 and had been in Hancock Co., GA in 1820-23 and was in Jackson Co., GA by 1810. Perhaps Timothy's wife was a Cherokee. Lucinda's mother was born in NC, according to information on the 1880 Chattahoochee Co.GA census for Lucinda. Siblings of Lucinda may have included Mary J. Tucker Culpepper, Temperance "Tempie" Tucker Culpepper, Joseph Tarpley Tucker (md. Jane Cooksey) and Gilly Ann Tucker Cooksey. The last two resided in Russell Co., AL by 1850. Gilly Ann Tucker Cooksey (Mrs. Duncan Cooksey) was another one of your ancestors. Her son, William T. Cooksey, was the father of Mrs. Mary "Mollie" Frances Cooksey Cowart, mother of Mrs. Fannie Alberta Cowart Lightner. Another connection is the fact that John D. Cooksey, son of Mrs. Gilly Ann Tucker Cooksey, was the first husband of Fannie Lightner (sister of James Marion Lightner).
I don't know what happened to William Marion Lightner's brother, Melville (or Melvin?) Lightner, who was born about 1912. Their younger brother, Clark B. Lightner, Jr. (March 23, 1916-Aug. 19, 1926) died as a result of a tragic accident: as I recall, my father told me that he chased a ball into a Columbus, GA street and was struck and killed by a car. There was no way the lady at the wheel could have stopped in time and she was devastated. His Death Certificate is online at Georgia Archives, Virtual Vault.
I hope this information reaches you soon.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions