Search for content in message boards

Kinghorn family

Kinghorn family

eileenharrop (View posts)
Posted: 13 May 2000 7:42AM GMT
Edited: 14 Oct 2004 8:46PM GMT
Has anyone come across the name Kinghorn?
The family came from Scotland around 1890-1920

Kinghorn

Fransmoi (View posts)
Posted: 31 Jul 2000 3:59PM GMT
Edited: 1 Jan 2002 4:19PM GMT
My great grandmother was Miss Christina Kinghorn.
She married Alexander MacKenzie a stockbroker
originally the Postmaster's son from Muir of
Ord nr Inverness,Scotland b.1840.d 5 Jun 1890
and buried at Majesfontein.He married twice
I believe as an Annie Maud was his next of kin.
His daughter by Christina was Mary Christina
Mackenzie(my grandmother) b 12 Jan 1875 in
Acton,London.She had a half brother Douglas
Mackenzie who became president of the Standard
Bank in Jo'burg I was told. He wrote to her asking about his
background as he was about to marry a Miss
Sowden whose father was a Dr.
Perhaps there was not a second marriage? Douglas came home on a visit about
1930/40 possibly to see his sister who died 1945.
There was a photo of Douglas as a boy taken
in Ireland.I don't know what happened to
Christina Kinghorn,Mrs Mackenzie but her
daughter was brought up in Inverness,
Scotland whilst her father went out to
South Africa.Douglas was a tall handsome man
I have a photograph.I'd dearly love to know
whether there are family of his in S.A.
There is a photo of Ethel Kinhorn Jones
b.10 Feb 1874 taken in Surrey and a lady
in New Zealand sent a tree showing James
Alfred Jones married Jennie Kinghorn.His
parents married in 1828.

Re: Kinghorn

KiminaB (View posts)
Posted: 3 Aug 2001 6:06AM GMT
Edited: 19 Dec 2002 4:49AM GMT
do you have the names of christina kinghorn's parents also any more information on jenni. i have a jeanie in my family line her parents were james kinghorn & margaret bowman eaton

Fransmoi (View posts)
Posted: 5 Aug 2001 3:22PM GMT
Edited: 1 Jan 2002 4:19PM GMT
Surnames: Kinghorn, Mackenzie, Jones, Budgett
I have not yet proved Christina KINGHORN's parents but it has recently been proved that she died young so I have a time span to focus on.
Her husband Alexander is shown on the 1881 census as widower when their daughter Mary Christina MACKENZIE was 6 years old.Living at 3 WellingtonSquare,Chelsea,London his sister Annie is housekeeper for him and his brothers Tom & James all born in Ross-shire.

Some years ago I had a letter from a Judith Sheddon from Aukland in New Zealand which I will scan and send to you direct. It concerns 2 sisters Jennie and Lizzie KINGHORN and their line.She wrote that they married 2 brothers James and Edward JONES in the late 1800s with London addresses.
The girls were 2 of 9 children born to Joseph Gordon JONES b1830 and Martha Payne BUDGETT :- Eliza Newton ,Joseph Gordon (married an Agnes Bugett and went to New Zealand) Robert Budgett ,William Payne ,James Alfred, Edward Harris,
Arthur Henry, Adeline Marie and what looks like Eliz the last child.

From another source I have noted that a Francis Rodney KINGHORN (nurseryman) had 3 dtrs Elizabeth, Jennie and Christina so your response has me looking at these Kinghorns again.

From years ago I have the Scottish IGI printouts for the surname KINGHORN and will be glad to do look ups for anyone searching north of the border.

I have a photograph taken in Richmond Hill, Surrey of Ethel Kinghorn Jones born 10-2-1874 and another child born 4-1-1877 I'd be pleased to copy for anyone interested in this line.

There is also a marriage certificate for Elizabeth Mary KINGHORN and Edward Harris JONES dated 25 Aug 1870 in Surrey but Jennie's marriage is unconfirmed.

Re: Kinghorn family

Kate Kinghorn (View posts)
Posted: 23 Aug 2001 4:22AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi my name is kate kinghorn and i got some info on the kinghorn family name!

eileenharrop (View posts)
Posted: 23 Aug 2001 1:24PM GMT
Edited: 14 Oct 2004 8:46PM GMT
Hi Kate
Did your ancestors originate from Glasgow, Scotland?
Eileen

FrancesForrest (View posts)
Posted: 12 Feb 2005 1:51AM GMT
Surnames: KINGHORN JONES
I have now found Christina KINGHORN in the 1871 census in the parish of Mortlake Surrey. Yes the whole family is there, father Francis Rodney KINGHORN wife Mary both born in Scotland then Christina 22, Jane 20,Annie 17 and young Francis jnr 13.All lived at the Nursery, Upper Richmond Road Please note my change of e-mail address.Thanx.

FrancesForrest (View posts)
Posted: 12 Dec 2005 1:23AM GMT
Surnames: Kinghorn, Gordon-Jones, Mackenzie,Cornwell,Butler.
Sorry we don't have a match.It has taken years but I found Christina's family in Mortlake,Surrey. Her father was a nurseryman Francis Rodney Kinghorn born in Scotland and her mother Mary Thomson.They married in 1847 and had at least 5 children - Annie F, ,Christina, Francis J, Elizabeth ( Lizzie)and Jane( Jennie).The last named 2 girls married Jones brothers Edward and Joseph sons of a Joseph Gordon Jones clothier from Bradford on Avon I believe.The Gordon-Jones may have been hyphenated.
Christina Kinghorn married my gt grandfather Alexander Mackenzie who when widowed set out for South Africa soon to die there in 1890 leaving a widow Annie Maud Mackenzie and small son Douglas aged 1 . I am still trying to prove if Annie's name was Cornwell nee Butler.

joybrunette (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jul 2007 12:39AM GMT
Surnames: Kinghorn, Mitchell
Hello,
My husband's grandfather was George Arthur Kinghorn born 1910 in Glasgow. He immigrated to South Africa and started a family with Nancy MacIntosh. Through family discussion George's father was a James Kinghorn(from Scotland) and he married a Margret Ann Mitchell. I'm trying to trace George Arthur's ancestors in Scotland. I would appreciate any info on James Kinghorn.

Thanks
Joy

IngridBrunkhorstHurrell (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jul 2007 6:13AM GMT
I knew a Brian Kinghorn in the late seventies. I think he now lives in Namibia.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions