Search for content in message boards

Edward Bennett of Weymouth,Dorsetshire,England

Edward Bennett of Weymouth,Dorsetshire,England

Charles Bennett (View posts)
Posted: 15 Mar 2005 3:36AM GMT
Classification: Query
I`m looking for any and all info.on Edward Bennett of Weymouth,Dorsetshire,England Birth 1575 Death 1645
Mass.U.S.A.

He is my 14th great grandfather
I need to find out who his parents are

Re: Edward Bennett of Weymouth,Dorsetshire,England

carpoh007 (View posts)
Posted: 15 Aug 2008 10:28PM GMT
Surnames: Bennett
Do you have any sources for Edward's birth & death? I've found an Edward born in Weymouth, Dorsetshire in 1600 who married Alice Eginton & immigrated to the US and another one that was born in 1574-ish in Weymouth, Dorsetshire, England. IN many public trees I've found that information intermixed. I'm inclined to beliee that these are 2 separae people.

kristiwheeler47 (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jan 2011 2:52PM GMT
Surnames: BENNET (BENNETT)
I have just discovered two Edward Bennet families and a John Bennet family in the village of Chaldon Herring (just east of Weymouth, Dorset, England) which was supposedly the port from which our ancestor, Edward, sailed in 1635.

Please contact me for more information.

Re: Edward Bennett of Weymouth, Dorsetshire,England

Posted: 4 Apr 2011 3:19PM GMT
Surnames: BENNET (T), HULL
One the International Genealogical Index is recorded the birth of Samuel Bennet in 1630, whose father is listed as Edward. The birthplace is listed as Broadway, Somerset -- which is one of the towns where Reverend Hull preached before he and his followers sailed from Weymouth, Dorset, England to Weymouth, MA. in 1635. According to the the histories of Weymouth, MA., Edward Bennet was a member of Reverend Hull's congregation. Edward's sons, Samuel and John moved to Rhode Island after their father died in Rehoboth, MA. in 1645.

This information linke the residence of the two men in England and may be significant.

Zany4God (View posts)
Posted: 30 Nov 2011 6:35PM GMT
Surnames: Bennett
It appears we are both currently seeking more information about Edward Bennett. I am just about at the point where I believe I can safely affirm that the Edward Bennett who left Weymouth in 1635 is one man. The greatest variables have to do with the dates of his birth. I am using the date of 2 Aug 1584 as his birth date. I've seen several other dates, as well. In my own work tracking down ancestors, I've found it very difficult to read the handwriting of the recorders of events. I'd like to see some tombstone memorials, that might make the dates "rock solid" so to speak. I have not been to Utah, yet, to search the archives there. Happy hunting. Michael Bennett

Posted: 2 Dec 2011 4:15PM GMT
Surnames: BENNETT, WHITE
Michael,

Thanks for answering my post. I have learned that there was a ship called "UNITY" which left Weymouth in the summer of 1635. There was a ship "JAMES" which left Bristol, England that same year.

Our Edward was not listed on the passenger list of either ship,but he may have been an employee. The Captain of both those ships was a John Taylor, the same name of the captain of "THE MARY ROSE" on which ou Edward worked as purser in 1640.

We may e missing a generation between our John Bennet of Stonington and Edward Bennet who died in Rehoboth. There was a John Bennet who lived in Warwick, Rhode Island and died in 1670. William White was working in Warwick the same year (1656) that his daughter Ursula married our John Bennet who moved to Stonington.
I write regularly (via e-mail) to 3 other Bennett cousins.
Have you taken an Ancestry DNA test? You are the only Bennet cousin I know with the surname Bennett. Tha test might be a very valuable clue for pinpointing our Edward's roots in England! Kristi Wheeler

Zany4God (View posts)
Posted: 2 Dec 2011 4:43PM GMT
Kristi,
Thank you for your reply. This is exciting. It is so difficult looking thru the fog and mist of time. Records were destroyed in fires and possibly by neglect or carelessness. You have given me food for thought and I want to pursue it, as well. I love what you have found. You've opened a new avenue for me. Thank you!!!
Yes, I have submitted a DNA sample and as far as I know, I'll be hearing something mid December, or so. They said it would take some time. I would love to stay in touch with you.
Here is how I have come to understand my ancestry:
My Dad: Gordon E. Bennett 1917-1994
Herbert E. Bennett 1887-1940
Walter Bennett c1851-unk
Rufus Bennett 1820-1889
Phineas Bennett 1784-1856
Caleb Bennett 1758-1830
Phineas Bennett 1732-1783
Joseph Bennett 1699-1762
John Bennett 1666-1745
John Bennett 1626-1691
Edward Bennett 1584-1645
I've listed some tentative ancestors beyond Edward, too.

I'm working on substantiating all of this, been at it for a few years, and still feel like I'm laying down the foundation. I want to build a house. :-)

You may write to me via email or thru this medium.

Again, Thank you!!

Mike

zany4god@msn.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions