Search for content in message boards

Jeremiah Wells Big Stone VA

Jeremiah Wells Big Stone VA

Robert (View posts)
Posted: 8 Oct 2000 4:40PM GMT
My grandmother was Diana Wells, her father Joeseph Wells and mother Sarah Sturgill, his father and mother Jeremiah and wife Mary Polly Day Wells. I have two sources one showing Jeremiah to be the son of William Wells and the other Zachariah being his father. Because of the age I am more inclined to believe William. But then ol man Joe Wells was fathering children in his 80's so who knows. Information on all of the surnames mentioned above would be appreciated

Jeremiah Wells

Claude E. Wells (View posts)
Posted: 9 Oct 2000 5:37AM GMT
It is possible your link to William is correct. In researching you will find that Jeremiah was used by this family a little bit. I sent a reply to your reply to my posting on Ol' Zack. Check my users page at Family Tree Maker and you will see that jeremiah was used a bit. I am linked from Ol' Zack by way of his son Jeremiah m. Eliz. Culbertson ( they had a son named Jeremiah C.) next comes Jaems Franklin m. to Jennettie Compton then my ggrandfather Winfield Scott m. to Sarah Margaret Fugate and my grandfather was Emerson galington m. to Sarah Catherine Robinette then to my father Guy Galington Wells m. to Margaret Elizabeth McMillan. But like I said Jeremiah pops up all through these lines down over teh years.

Could be relative

Tammie Wells Schaaf (View posts)
Posted: 13 Oct 2000 6:21PM GMT
My Great Grandfather was Jonathon Hyatt Wells of Big Stone Gap, Va. My Grandfather was Larwence Tilden Wells also of Big Stone Gap, Va. Are we related?

message to Robert about Joe Wells

Carolyn Wells (View posts)
Posted: 14 Oct 2000 2:58PM GMT
Robert, I am not the greatest at this computer stuff since I just started about 2 weeks ago. I put my direct e-mail so that we can correspond without going into the Wells page. I would very much like to hear from your friend. I am originally from Big Stone Gap and have heard of Jeremiah Wells. There is a lady named Naomi Wells that writes a column in The Post (the local paper there in BSG). She just might know the lineage of Jeremiah. Can give you more info when you respond. The only info I have on the Wells that I am looking for is that Martha Gibson (dau. of Zion and Mary Catherine Gibson of Scott Co., Va.) was living in Letcher Co. in 1870 and married an "A" Wells and had my grandfather there. On the 1880 Scott Co. census she is back in Virginia living with my grandfather (Joseph Landon Wells) who is 4 and a half. They are living with her parents. My mother always said that my grandfather had never seen his father (I am assuming he was killed or died in KY. but cannot find any information to support this. I would just like to know what his name was. I have always suspicioned that it is Andrew since Joe and his wife's first child is named Andrew Lee (Lee was her father's name) Joe's death certificate lists his name as Audwell or Andwell, but I think that was not correct infomation. If you can help me with this delima, I will be most grateful. Look forward to hearing from you.

Claude E. Wells

C.E. Wells III (View posts)
Posted: 16 Oct 2000 10:20AM GMT
We may have communicated previously. Who would have thought that there were so many Claude Wells' in this world? I am Claude III.

I am looking for my family genealogy and this is to the best of my knowledge in reverse order...Claude Evrette Wells Sr., Arthur Garrison Wells, Stephen Mallet (sp?)Wells, William Wells. The States in reverse are Missouri, Southwest Oklahoma Territory, Tennessee, Georgia, Wales. Claude Sr. was my grandfather. All I know past him is only legend. Help if you can. Sheriff C.E. Wells, Webster Co. Mo.

C.E. Wells connections

Posted: 16 Oct 2000 11:06AM GMT
Well greetings! I know I have heard at least of several others. Unfortunately my branch of the family came here prior to the early 1700's as best as we can calculate. There is a maddening quest on to find when and where they did arrive.

My name is from an Uncle named Claude McMillan, this branch of McMillans originally settled NC in 1788, and my Grandfather Emerson Galington Wells from out of VA orginally settling the region around Big Stone Gap abt. 1790. The family is believed to have come to that region by two ways either from out of MD orginally or NC. Have you ever contacted Orin Wells at the Wells Family Research Association web site? Orin has a lot of data and contacts who may be able to assist you in your quest. His website is connected to the Rootsweb network and if you go thee you should be able to find it. If not try the following url - http://www.rootsweb.com/~wellsfam/wfrahome.html it has his email and lots of connections.

Good luck and happy hunting. If I can be of any further assistance please contact me at cwells4944@aol.com

Wells connection

Posted: 16 Oct 2000 11:20AM GMT
Greetings! The connection could be possible! Most of my family originally hailed from the region. There were so many Wells families roaming around that region and as of this time soem had no direct connections that I have heard of, yet. But they also intermarried along the line, there were so many people to choose from in thsoe days you know, so blood lines did mingle.

You ought to contact Orin Wells at the Wells Family Research Association web site, he may be able to recognize the family or know someone who could, the url is - http://www.rootsweb.com/~wellsfam/wfrahome.html there are links there as well to other Wells Families.

Do you know anything frurther back than your grandfather or Great Grandfather? My line is from Ol' Zacharaih Wells who m. Abigail Osborne. The line goes something like this, if I can remember it correctly when you hit 50 things to to get lost, Ol' Zack to Jeremiah to James franklin to Winfield to Emerson Galington to Guy Galington to Claude Emerson Wells. My grandfather moved the family out of VA becasue he didn;t want his boys growing up in the Coal mines. My grandmother was from the Robinette family, Sarah Catherine d/o of "Uncle Billy" William Robinette a primitive baptist minister. And some of teh other families I am allied to through marriage are Culbertson, Fugate, Compton and going further back there are the Tates, Woods, etc. I have my family reports posted at the Family Tree Maker web site users pages. The url for them is http://www.familytreemaker.com/users/w/e/l/Claude-E-Wells/ have a look and enjoy. Good Luck with your search and if I can help please contact me on cwells4944@aol.com

Claude

Wells connection

Posted: 16 Oct 2000 11:20AM GMT
Greetings! The connection could be possible! Most of my family originally hailed from the region. There were so many Wells families roaming around that region and as of this time soem had no direct connections that I have heard of, yet. But they also intermarried along the line, there were so many people to choose from in thsoe days you know, so blood lines did mingle.

You ought to contact Orin Wells at the Wells Family Research Association web site, he may be able to recognize the family or know someone who could, the url is - http://www.rootsweb.com/~wellsfam/wfrahome.html there are links there as well to other Wells Families.

Do you know anything frurther back than your grandfather or Great Grandfather? My line is from Ol' Zacharaih Wells who m. Abigail Osborne. The line goes something like this, if I can remember it correctly when you hit 50 things to to get lost, Ol' Zack to Jeremiah to James franklin to Winfield to Emerson Galington to Guy Galington to Claude Emerson Wells. My grandfather moved the family out of VA becasue he didn;t want his boys growing up in the Coal mines. My grandmother was from the Robinette family, Sarah Catherine d/o of "Uncle Billy" William Robinette a primitive baptist minister. And some of teh other families I am allied to through marriage are Culbertson, Fugate, Compton and going further back there are the Tates, Woods, etc. I have my family reports posted at the Family Tree Maker web site users pages. The url for them is http://www.familytreemaker.com/users/w/e/l/Claude-E-Wells/ have a look and enjoy. Good Luck with your search and if I can help please contact me on cwells4944@aol.com

Claude

Claude Wells

C.E. Wells III (View posts)
Posted: 16 Oct 2000 1:19PM GMT
Thank you so very much for responding. I will try to contact Orin Wells re: his info. Stay in touch. I am the Sheriff in Webster Co. Mo. which is near Spfld. I am retiring from this position at the end of the year and hope to be able to dedicate a little more time to my Wells genealogy. I have traced my mother's family back to there arrival in America in 1775 from Germany.

C.E. Wells

Lawrence

Robert (View posts)
Posted: 17 Oct 2000 2:40PM GMT
Hi Tammy I would say it is more than likely we are related. They did populate the region or tried very hard to. I am familiar with the name Lawrence but he was probably born in Letcher County, Ky but he was in Stonega, Va Appalachia, Va and Big Stone a lot. This one had a nickname of Satan, a story behind it.

Robert
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions