Search for content in message boards

Reddick Massengale b. ca 1789 Nash Co. NC

Reddick Massengale b. ca 1789 Nash Co. NC

Allison Saxman (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jan 2001 8:28AM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 6:11AM GMT
Though this list doesn't appear to be heavily "travelled" I thought I would post my info in the hopes that someone might either connect to my Reddick or have come across information about him.

Reddick was b. ca 1789 Nash Co., NC to unknown parents. He married Francis? b. NC, and is found in Nash Co., NC 1810 census as HOH. Oldest son Alfred was b. 1814 Nash Co. NC and Reddick served in the War of 1812 from Nash Co. NC.

We lose Reddick and family after 1814 until they show up in Troup Co., GA in 1830. They continue west and end up in Itawamba Co. MS in 1840 1850, and don't appear in a census record after that.

I have Dr. Massengill's book and it appears that Reddick may have had a brother named Warren, at least.

Who were Reddick's parents? Who were his siblings? And where was he in 1820?

Please email me alisax@sedona.net if you have any info on Reddick - my "Most Wanted" ancestor! Thank you!

Allison

Re: Reddick Massengale b. ca 1789 Nash Co. NC

cdoliverfam (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jun 2002 9:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello Allison, I'm Georgia Long,Reddick Massengale was my ggg grandfather. I believe he was in Monroe County Ms. prior to going to Oko. Monroe and Itawamba both border Amory, Ms. and I believe this is where they lived. I believe he had a brother who lived in south Ms. maybe Harrison County. I thin the 1890 cenus might have something on the family. He had a dau. named Martha Ellen Massengail who was my great grandmother. Martha was married at least three times. She lived an died in Ms. Husbands: Stafford....children Georgia Mae..gr.ma. Callie Leonard Ellie Daniel Gordon Bessie ?????? ?????? Butts...children Lizzie James Robert?????? Hughes...children ????????? Buried...Calhoun County,Ms. Cementery close to Pittsboro, Ms. I thought Reddick's father was also named Redd, REd, or Reddick. I have been looking for the Dr.'s book for 10 years. Please advise where I can ge a copy. There are relatives of Reddick Massengale still living in Amory. The local hospital is named Gilmore Memorial. Looking forward to hearing from you and others about our ancestry. My grandmother told me we have people in every state of te united state and several countries. Thanks, Georgia Long

AllisonSaxman97 (View posts)
Posted: 27 May 2003 7:50PM GMT
Edited: 1 Sep 2003 1:15AM GMT
Surnames: MASSENGILL
My email address has changed to:

alisax@commspeed.net

for anyone descended from Reddick/Redorick Massengill/gale

Thanks
Allison

AllisonSaxman97 (View posts)
Posted: 27 May 2003 7:52PM GMT
Edited: 1 Sep 2003 1:15AM GMT
Georgia:

I haven't checked this board in a long time and just found your reply to my post! I changed my email address last May 2002 to try and get an ISP that would filter spam, and should have posted the updated address long ago!

I would love to be in touch with you and share information, if you'd like!

Again, my apologies!

Allison
alisax@commspeed.net

Posted: 1 Jan 2006 9:46PM GMT
Surnames: MASSENGILL, MASSENGALE
I'm still working on this line and am only posting a follow-up to my previous board post to update my email address. Current email address is alisax@commspeed.net (1/1/2006)

Thanks...Allison

maelong86 (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jan 2008 9:34PM GMT
Correction:I'm Reddick's gg-grand dau.,He lived in Itawamba County, Ms., in the town of Tremont. I recently found that he purchased land also in Ala. Lamar County Ala. borders Tremont,Ms.and I think this is probably the county where he purchased it. Lamar County Ala. was first named Jones. His dau. Martha Ellen married George Washington Stafford.Their children were:Mack, Lenord,Callie,Hubert,Ellie Gilmore,Bessie B.,& Georgia Mae. I have more info and a picture of Martha Ellen and the children taken about 1904.If anyone is interested email me.Georgia Long

maelong86 (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jan 2008 9:42PM GMT
Martha Ellen Massengale Stafford married a Butts who had 2 children; Lizzie and Gorden Butts ,the children went by the Stafford name. If you need more info contact me at: maelong86@yahoo.com

Re: Reddick Massengale b. ca 1789 Nash Co. NC - correction

Posted: 24 Jan 2008 8:56PM GMT
Surnames: Massengill, Williams, Stafford
I feel compelled to post a correction to the previous post, lest anyone be led astray by misinformation. My documented research shows that the Martha Ellen Massengill (various spellings) who married George Washington Stafford was the daughter of William R. "Bob" Massengill and his wife, Mary Fletcher Williams. William R. "Bob" Massengill was a son of Reddick, so Martha Ellen Massengill Stafford was Reddick's granddaughter - not daughter.

Best wishes,
Allison M. Saxman - alisax@commspeed.net

maelong86 (View posts)
Posted: 18 Aug 2008 7:20PM GMT
Are you saying that William R, son of Reddick 1789, who was born in 1828 is Robert and not Reddick?

Posted: 18 Aug 2008 10:36PM GMT
Surnames: MASSENGILL, MASSENGALE
Not exactly. The IGI at familysearch.org has him listed as "William Redic" but in census records, he's listed as follows:

1850 Itawamba Co., MS: William
1860 ": William
1870 ": Robert
1880 ": William
1900 Bryan Co., Oklahoma: William

When he was living in Itawamba County, MS, we've been told that he was called "Bob." I don't know if someone a long time ago just *thought* that since his father was Reddick that his "R" stood for the same. I would lean toward it being "Robert" rather than "Redic" since because of the 1870 census and because he was called "Bob" by his friends and neighbors, but because I am not absolutely 100% certain, I list him as William R. "Bob" in my database.

I have another line where a guy was named George Washington Robertson and when he moved to Oklahoma, he called himself "Bob" after his favorite uncle - so, you never know! Thank goodness I had a family member on that line to clarify the name "go by" because I'd never have figured out the census entries otherwise!

:) Ali
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions