Search for content in message boards

BRIGGS descended from John of Thornbury

BRIGGS descended from John of Thornbury

kabumpo16 (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jan 2003 4:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am descended from John Briggs of Thornbury, Gloucestershire, England, through his son Richard who immigrated to Taunton, Massachusetts. He married Rebecca Hoskins and died in 1692.

I am seeking the name of the wife of their son, Benjamin, who was born 1677 and whose son, Daniel Briggs, began a long line of Daniels (at least 5 generations) who lived in Massachusetts, New York and Illinois.

Would love to hear from anyone else in this line or descended from Richard and Rebecca.

Re: BRIGGS descended from John of Thornbury

Robertbriggs97 (View posts)
Posted: 9 Feb 2003 7:00PM GMT
Edited: 22 Nov 2004 5:09PM GMT
I'm also descended from Richard. I have not found a spouse for Benjamin that I trust. I did find a reference to a Sarah Bent but the kids listed did not include a Daniel so I tend to be skeptical on this being the right spouse.

dianeerickson15 (View posts)
Posted: 15 Oct 2008 5:33PM GMT
Hello
I also descend from Richard Briggs, then Benjamin Briggs DOB 16 Sep 1677, and this is verified.

I show 2 wives for Benjamin. I cannot verify this information, but it might help you find what you seek.

One wife's name is unknown with three children, all boys, Daniel 1710 Taunton, MA, Jesse 1712 Taunton, MA, and Jacob, no date listed.
Another wife is Sarah Bent with children Sarah, Joanna, Thankful, Ruth, Mehitabel and Benjamin.

If you get verification, please advise.

Sincerely, Diane

kabumpo16 (View posts)
Posted: 15 Oct 2008 6:11PM GMT
Surnames: Briggs
Diane, this is the closest I have come to that first wife of Benjamin Briggs. I was not aware of a second wife, although it makes sense. My sources have Hannah Gladding as marrying "a Briggs," but no first name is given. Here is what I have in my notes:

No wife has been proved for Benjamin Briggs; however, the July 1989 issue (#255) of "The American Genealogist" on p. 143 lists John Gladding of Newbury, MA and Bristol, RI, who may be the father of Benjamin's wife, Hannah Gladding. Hannah was b. 8 Nov 1681 in Bristol. (NEGHR: 125:86, 205-6. Her parents were John and Elizabeth Rogers Gladding. John b. 11641 in England, d. 27 Apr 1726, Bristol, RI. He married Elizabeth Rogers on 17 Jul 1667 in Newbury, MA. Elizabeth b. 1649 and d.19 Oct 1696 in Bristol. She was daughter of Robert and Susanna Rogers of Newbury, MA.

John Gladding gave evidence in the "only recorded case of supposed witchcraft in Newbury ever subjected to a legal investigation." The accused was Elizabeth, wife of William Morse. (Source: "A Sketch of the History of Newbury, Newburyport and West Newbury," Boston,1845, pp. 128-9.) John moved to Bristol in 1680/1. He bought a house and 10 acres. His children:
1. Susannah Gladding, b. 6 Aug 1668, married Nathaniel Willard
2. John, b. 11 Oct 1670, married Alice Wardwell
3. William, b. 23 Jul 1673, married Mary ?
4. Elizabeth, b. 15 Sep 1676. m. ? Willis
5. Mary, b. 16 Jan 1678, married Charles Williams
6. HANNAH, *** b. 8 Nov 1681, married ? BRIGGS
7. Joshua, b. 6 May 1685
8. Daniel, b. 8 Nov 1687, d.before the census in the year of his father's death(1726)
9. Sarah, b. 20 Nov 1691

MaryMoeller929 (View posts)
Posted: 15 Oct 2008 7:05PM GMT
I am ... Richard down through Benjamin through Daniel Briggs and so on...

Posted: 16 Oct 2008 12:35AM GMT
I have Hannah as being married to Thomas Briggs, son of Thomas Briggs, grandson of William and Sarah Macomber Briggs

Posted: 16 Oct 2008 12:36AM GMT
Thomas was married to a Susannah surname unknown, and Hannah Gladding

kabumpo16 (View posts)
Posted: 16 Oct 2008 4:08PM GMT
Thank you, Mary. Can you give me where you got your information? Town records, ?????? Once I see that, I'll take Hannah off my possibility list for a wife of Benjamin.

I descend from Benjamin through 4 or 5 Daniels.....let me tell you that was fun to straighten out. My great-grandfather was Andrew Morris Briggs, of Alpha and New Windsor, IL. His brother was Daniel Judson Briggs, called "Uncle Jud," and I am actively searching for someone from that family because I have a family Bible that belongs to them.

Posted: 16 Oct 2008 4:54PM GMT
Surnames: Briggs, calkins
We are closer cousins. I've talked to you before and I will get the sources for that. My great grandfather was Francis Albert Briggs son of Ransom Seymour Briggs son of Daniel Briggs and Poenia Calkins. I knew I had seen Hannah Gladdings name in the tree but not in reference to Benjamin and yes, its entirely possible that Benjamin was married twice... also, one of his wives could have been a Sarah with the surname unknown... Sarah was a common name back then as it is now... perhaps more common back then.

kabumpo16 (View posts)
Posted: 16 Oct 2008 5:03PM GMT
Yes, Mary, we have talked before. You can email me directly if you wish at: Kabumpo16@aol.com.

Do you remember anyone in the family named Lauren Briggs? She would have been born in the late 1940s, I am surmising. My grandfather left her a small bequest in his will (he died in 1966 at age 85 - Edward Maurice Briggs-) and I have never been able to place her. My father took care of the disbursement, so I was not involved. She may have been part of the Red Oak, Iowa, group, becuase my grandfather went to high school there.

I look forward to getting your information about Hannah Gladding. Nuts. I was hopeful on that one.
Kathy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions