Search for content in message boards

John SNODDY m Agnes GLASGOW Philadelphia 1741

John SNODDY m Agnes GLASGOW Philadelphia 1741

wmwillis2 (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jun 2009 8:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Jul 2010 11:02AM GMT
Surnames: Snoddy, Glasgow
I have several questions concerning this couple, and perhaps someone can point me toward the answers.

A John Snoddy is said to have married an Agnes Glasgow at the 1st Presbyterian in Philadelphia 7 Oct 1741. The marriages in this church are available in the form of the work Linn and Egle 1880. They do include a marriage for a John Snoddy and Agnes, but it's dated 7 August 1741, and Agnes last name is not given. (replaced by a ___, probably meaning it was not legible.)

I find numerous lineages that identify this couple as settling near the town of Abingdon in Southwest Virginia about the time of the Revolution.

I find other lineages that identify this couple as settling in Buckingham County, Va about 1743.

I've no doubt that there was a John Snoddy in both of those locations at that time. My questions are related to the identification of his wife as "Agnes Glasgow"

First, how do people know that her last name was "Glasgow"?

Second, what is the basis for thinking that the first name of the Wife of John Snoddy of Buckingham Co was "Agnes"?

Thirdely, what is the basis for thinking that the first name of the Wife of John Snoddy of Abingdon was "Agnes"?

Re: John SNODDY m Agnes GLASGOW

wmwillis2 (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jul 2010 11:19PM GMT
Since posting this message I've continued to work on this problem. My tentative conclusion is that there is very little, if any evidence that the wife of John Snoddy of Albemarle/Buckingham/Amherst/Washington County was "Agnes Glasgow". The marriage record for John Snoddy and Agnes, 1741 First Presbyterian in Philadelphia, is more like to be for the John Snoddy who initially settled in Chester County, and left that area sometime after 1751. He and his brother Samuel settled near Fourth Creek Presbyterian Church in what is now Iredell County, as shown in the 1773 map by Sharp. Since we know that the John Snoddy who died c1758 in that area was married to an Agnes, and can find no direct evidence that John Snoddy of Albemarle was married to an Agnes, it seems more likely that John of NC was the one who married Agnes at the first Presbyterian in Philadelphia.

msnowyday (View posts)
Posted: 6 Aug 2010 2:28PM GMT
Your wrong.

wmwillis2 (View posts)
Posted: 6 Aug 2010 2:45PM GMT
Hi Carol

I'd be interested in knowing why you think my analysis is wrong.

As far as I can tell, there's no evidence

1. That John Snoddy of Buckingham county had a wife named "Agnes"
2. That her last name was Glasgow
3. That he ever set foot near Philadelphia

On the other hand, there is evidence that John Snoddy of Iredell County
1. Did have a wife named Agnes
2. Did come to that area from near Philadelphia.

Simply saying I'm wrong, but offering no evidence to show that I'm wrong doesn't refute what I said.

Perhaps your statement simply reflects the fact that you have no proof of what you say, but simply believe it.

Bill

msnowyday (View posts)
Posted: 7 Aug 2010 2:13AM GMT
I have researched the Snoddy for 50 years. I have over 71,000 individuals in my data base with over half of them descended from the Snoddy family.

One John SNODDY married Agnes GLASGOW and the other married Agnes ?FALLS?. I am not sure about the Falls name.

John SNODDY and Agnes GLASGOW were married in Philadelphia in October of 1741 not August. In 1741 America was under the Julian calendar and October was the eighth month of the year.

I bought this computer today and I have not transfered my data to it. I will get back to you.

Have a nice day,

Marvin Delano Snoddy
snowyday@comcast.net

wmwillis2 (View posts)
Posted: 7 Aug 2010 1:59PM GMT
Hi Marvin Thank you for the thoughtful reply. I know you have probably been researching these folks
for a long time, and have undoubtedly compiled a lot of useful information.

However, the original of the marriage record you cite actually says "August, 1741". I know that because I've checked the
original personally at the Presbyterian Historical Society in Philadelphia. Actually, I should say I
checked their publicaly available photocopy of the original. The actual original is in relatively
poor condition, and they don't allow it to be examined casually. While I've had access to similar
works there, when only examining the original would do, for my purposes in this matter there was no
need to risk damage to the original. The photocopy was quite sufficient.

Your comment explains why I see so many lineages citing the October 1741 date, when the original clearly shows "August, 1741". I
suppose its a matter of preference, but personally I prefer to retain the original presentation,
rather than an "adjusted" version. That way, there's no issue with whether the adjustment has been
made.

As to "Agnes Glasgow"---I presume you mentioned this particular marriage record in response to
my question how you knew John Snoddy of Buckingham's wife was "Agnes Glasgow". There are two things
problematical with this.

First, how do you know that the John Snoddy of Buckingham is the John
Snoddy who married in 1741 in Philadelphia?

Second, the marriage record only records the wife's name
as "Agnes". There's no mention of "Glasgow". Just "Agnes".

If there's independent evidence that the
wife of John Snoddy of Buckingham County's first name was in fact "Agnes", then a reasonable case
could be made that this is indeed his marriage record. But then, how could you say that the marriage
record didn't apply to John Snoddy of Iredell County,

whose wife's name IS known to have been Agnes---
and IS known to have come from the Philadelphia area,
and IS known to have been Presbyterian.

Overall, the data lines up much better for making the case that John of Iredell
married Agnes in Philadelphia in 1741. But I'd like to understand more about why people think John
of BUckingham married Agnes Glasgow in Philadelphia.

Which is why I asked those questions. Those questions remain unanswered. To repeat them

What is the evidence that John Snoddy of Buckingham
County:
1. Came to the area from Philadelphia
2. Had a wife Agnes 3.
That Agnes' last name was Glasgow.

There have to be other reasons for thinking the above as The First Presbyterian Marriage
record does not in itself prove any of that, except as a circular argument. Circular arguments
abound in genealogy, and perhaps that's the explanation here---yet "Glasgow" at least, has to have
come from somewhere. It didn't come from the marriage record, so where did it come from? Perhaps you
have the answer to that. Perhaps not.

Bill

msnowyday (View posts)
Posted: 9 Aug 2010 12:35AM GMT
Bill,

I am having computer problems so bear with me.

Marvin

SNODDY BIBLE
(Contributed by Mrs. Mary H. Dean, Gen. Evans Shelby Chapter)

NOTE: The family records copied from the Bible of Robert Snoddy. The Bible was printed by Mathew Cary, 118 Market Street, Philadelphia, Penn., Oct., 1802 and bought by Robert Snoddy in 1803. We know by the fact being handed down from son to son, and neighbors that knew him, that he and his brother James were with Washington during the Revolution and were with him at Yorktown at the surrender of Cornwallis. The above mentioned Bible is the property of Carey Snoddy, Owensboro, Ky., great-grandson of Robert Snoddy. Robert Snoddy's will is in file on the Barren County Court House, dated 1820.

John Snoddy came front Ireland in 1740. He married Agnes Glasgow in the Presbyterian Church in Philadelphia, Penn., Oct. 7, 1741. Later he was Justice of Peace, Washington County, Va.

MARRIAGES
James Snoddy to Fannie Wilkerson, Feb. 28, 1768.
John Snoddy to Elizabeth Sampson, March 17, 1779.
William Glasgow Snoddy to Sarah Davis, Dec. 229 1785.
Thomas Snoddy to Hannah Davis, November, 1786.
Robert Snoddy to Sophia Shaille, 1790.
Anne Lee Snoddy to Thomas Bransford, Nov. 3, 1789. Mary Snoddy to Robert Patton, February, 1790.
Jane Snoddy to William Gibson.
Samuel Wilkerson Snoddy to Sally Alen, Nov. 13, 1794. Daniel Snoddy to Sarah Alen, Dec. 24, 1794.
Carey Snoddy to Mary Haselwood Wilkerson.
William Snoddy to Verlina Burgess, Dec. 13, 1804. Sally Snoddy to Phillip Hawker, July 3, 1804.
Jane Snoddy to William Hawker, Oct. 14, 1807.
David Snoddy to Nancy Thomas, June 22, 1807.
Thomas Snoddy to his second wife, Jane Blackburn, March 20, 1806. William Thurman to Elizabeth Snoddy, Sept. 1805. (May be 1815). Mary Snoddy to John Myers, Oct. 12, 1812.
John Lewis to Ann Snoddy, Aug. 29, 1816.
Carey A. Snoddy to Sarah Penn Edmonds, Sept., 1820. Samuel Snoddy to Jane Gray, Jan. 1, 1816.
John Snoddy to Ann Shirley, Feb. 26, 1824.
Polly Snoddy to Nathaniel Parrish.

CHILDREN OF JOHN AND AGNES GLASGOW SNODDY

James, born Aug. 3, 1742.
Jane, born March 9, 1744.
John, born Sept. 15, 1746.
Mary, born Sept. 18, 1748.
Samuel, born Jan. 4, 1751.
Elizabeth, born June 12, 1753.
Cary, born Aug. 6, 1755.
Robert, born Nov. 109 1757.
Thomas, born Jan. 26, 1761.
William Glasgow, born June 22, 1763.

CHILDREN OF JAMES AND FANNIE SNODDY

Samuel, born Jan. 6, 1769.
Daniel, born June 22, 1771.
Anne Lee, born Nov. 12, 1773.
James, born April 15, 1776.
David, born May 12, 1778.
Jane, born Sept. 14, 1781.
Francis Crutchfield, born May 7, 1789.

CHILDREN OF JOHN AND ELIZABETH SNODDY

William, born Aug. 4, 1780.
Thomas, born Feb. 12, 1782.
Sally, born May 25, 1783.
Fanny, born Feb. 22, 1786.
Elizabeth, born Feb. 23, 1788.
Jane, born May 15, 1789.
Anne, born Sept. 15, 1793.
Robert, born April 2, 1795.
Mary, born June 9, 1797.

CHILDREN OF CARY AND MARY SNODDY

Sarah Hazelwood, born Jan. 4, 1790.
William, born July 26,1793.
John Cary, born April 15, 1796.
Robert Wilkerson, born Feb. 14, 1800.
Elizabeth, born April 1, 1803.

CHILDREN OF WILLIAM AND MARY SNODDY

John, born Oct. 2, 1786.
Samuel, born Nov. 9, 1788.
Daniel, born Dec. 8, 1790.
Polly, born Jan. 13, 1792.
Agnes Glasgow, born July 17, 1793.
Elizabeth, born Dec. 19, 1797.
Glasgow, born Aug. 9, 1799.
Betsy, born Oct. 11, 1801.
Nathaniel Davis, born Dec. 23, 1803.
William, born Feb. 13, 1809.
Sally, born Nov. 24, 1811.

CHILDREN OF THOMAS AND HANNAH SNODDY

James, born March 9, 1788.
Mary, born June 14, 1790.
Nancy, born April 4, 1792.
Elizabeth, born Jan. 3, 1794,
John Davis, born Nov. 23, 1795.
Samuel Glasgow born Jan. 16, 1798.
Robert Henderson, born Nov. 22, 1799.
Hannah, born March 18, 1801.

CHILDREN OF SAMUEL AND SALLY SNODDY

Nancy Cary, born Nov. 18, 1795.
Fanny Lee, born Jan. 6, 1798.
Carey Allen born Feb. 11, 1800.
Daniel, born March, 1806.
Ann Anderson, born Sept., 1808.

CHILDREN OF DANIEL AND SARAH SNODDY

Elizabeth Austin, born Aug. 11, 1796.
Francis Turner, born Nov. 22, 1798.
Sally Cary, born Nov. 27, 1800.
Benjamin Alen, born Feb. 26, 1803.
Martha Jane, born Feb. 27, 1805.
Mary Ann, born Jan. 16, 1807.

CHILDREN OF THOMAS AND ANN BRANSFORD

Judith, born Aug. 5, 1791.
Francis, born May 13, 1794.
Martha, born Aug. 3, 1799.
Walter, born Feb. 23, 1802.
Thomas Lewis, born Nov. 29, 1804.
From Buckingham County, Va., to Barren County, Ky. Ancestors of the Bransfords and Lewis of Nashville, Tenn.

CHILDREN OF DAVID AND NANCY SNODDY

John Phillip Barateer, born June 22, 1808.
Edward Wilkerson, born Nov. 24, 1810.
James Cary, born April 7, 1811.

CHILDREN OF WILLIAM AND ELIZA SNODDY THURMAN

Ann Sophia.
Mary Elizabeth.
Robert Cary.
John William.

CHILDREN OF SAMUEL AND JANE SNODDY

Elizabeth, born Nov. 11, 1817.
Isabella, born Feb. 27, 1819.

CHILDREN OF THOMAS AND JANE SNODDY, HIS 2ND WIFE

Jane Mathews, born Feb. 16, 1807.
Edward Blackburn, born Oct. 25, 1808.
Thomas, born Feb. 18, 1811.
Margaret and Cary. (Indistinct).

CHILDREN OF CARY AND SARAH PENN SNODDY

Mary Ann, born July 21, 1821.
William Edmonds, born Aug. 26,1823.
Robert Carey, born Dec. 17, 1825.

CHILDREN OF ROBERT AND ANN ROGERS SNODDY

Married December 12, 1848, Glasgow, Ky., and celebrated their Golden Wedding December 12, 1898, Louisville, Ky.
Sarah (Sally), born Sept. 23, 1849 or 1850.
Florence, born Jan. 14, 1852.
Addie, born Feb. 3, 1854.
Carey, born Jan. 17, 1856.
Ann Rogers, born May 19, 1859.
NOTE: Robert Carey Snoddy and Ann M. Rogers were married in Glasgow, Ky., Dec. 12, 1846. Ann M. Rogers was the daughter of Doctor George Rogers and Sarah (Gorin) Rogers, who was a daughter of John Gorin, Revolutionary War soldier, who gave the people of Barren County 50 acres of land, the site of Glasgow, Ky. My wife's great-grandfather surveyed the land and I have the compass he used. Sarah Gorin was one of the first children born at Glasgow, Ky., her brother, Franklin Gorin, was the first white child born in Barren County. CARRY SNODDY.

DEATHS

Samuel Snoddy died Feb. 1, 1768.
John Snoddy, Sr., died Feb., 1784.
Agnes, his wife, died Dec. 30, 1801.
Hannah Snoddy, wife of Thomas, died March 18, 1801.
Elizabeth Snoddy, wife of John, died June 9, 1797.
Elizabeth Snoddy, daughter of Thomas Snoddy, died July, 1795.
Elizabeth Snoddy, daughter of William, died Sept. 13, 1798.
Nancy Cary Snoddy, daughter of Samuel, died Oct. 18, 1796.
Thomas Snoddy, son of Robert, died June 17, 180'.
Francis Turner, daughter of Daniel Snoddy, died April 22, 1808.
John Snoddy, died Oct. 27, 1810.
Sophia Thomas Snoddy, died Dec. 19, 1810.
Carey Snoddy, Sr., died June 12, 1822.
Robert Snoddy, Sr., died Sept. 16. 1820.
Lytle Day Snoddy, born Aug. 31, 1890, Barren County, Ky.
Ann Lee Bransford, died July 20, 18__.
Carey Snoddy, son of Robert, died July 11, 1858, at Hot Springs, Ark., buried in Cave Hill Cemetery, Louisville, Ky.
Robert Carey Snoddy, son of Carey, died in Louisville, Ky., Nov.
16, 1905. Buried in Cave Hill.

CHILDREN OF CAREY SNODDY AND RUTH HALL SNODDY

Married in Glasgow, Ky., Sept. 27, 1883.
Robert Cary Snoddy, born June 24, 1884, Barren County, Ky
Lytie Day Snoddy, born August 31, 1890, Barren County, Ky.
Hall Terry Snoddy, born March 18, 1899, Owensboro, Ky.
John Rogers Snoddy, born Dec. 8, 1900, Owensboro, Ky.
NOTE: My sons have changed the spelling of their names and it is now Snowday.
Lytie Day married E. M. Spiak, of Jacksonville, Ill., where she now lives.--Carey Snoddy.

wmwillis2 (View posts)
Posted: 9 Aug 2010 1:49AM GMT
Thanks Marvin

Yes, I've seen this. There's a website that includes both a typed version of the bible, and images of the originals.

The problem with a bible record like this is that the data has been entered long after the fact. In this case the bible was purchased in 1803, yet it contains DOB's for children born in the 1740's---60 years previous to the printing and purchase of the bible. Perhaps the data was entered by Robert immediately, based on what he believed to be true, which would give it great validity. Perhaps it was entered much later by someone. If its the latter case, the value of the information presented here is greatly reduced.

The value of a family bible record comes from its being a personal record of things that the immediate family knew to be true because they experienced the events. A "Bible record" written much later looses that essential validity.

However, if the data contained in this record is indeed correct, then it should be possible to find confirming evidence of everything here.

This record may be the reason why modern generations think Agnes Glasgow was their ancestor. But why did the person who left this record think that? What did they base it on? It might have been based on oral family tradition---or perhaps its the work of their genealogical spade work, that might be right, or not.

Bill

Re: John SNODDY m Agnes GLASGOW Philadelphia 1741

james snoddy (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jan 2011 4:53PM GMT
Does anyone have any information on John Snoddy before he left Ireland? Brothers, sisters, or parents?

Carol Byler (View posts)
Posted: 6 Mar 2011 1:40AM GMT
John Snoddy (NC), brother of Samuel Snoddy, married Agnes/Ann Falls.

Marriages, Rowan County, NC (1753-1868), page 296, Ann Snoddy [widow of John Snoddy] married James Neill, 11 Aug 1759. William Neill, bondsman.

James NEILL , son of William NEILL and Sarah CALLENDER, died on 22 Jun 1793 in Rowan, North Carolina and was buried in Rowan Co, North Carolina.

MARRIAGE: Rowan County, North Carolina; Neill, James & Snoddy, Ann, 11 Aug 1759; Bondsman, William Neill; Witness, John Frohock.

Will written 23 August 1793, Rowan County, North Carolina. Sons, Andrew Snoddy; James Neill; Robert Neill. Daughter Elezabeth Alison wife of Theophilus Allison, mare called Short willed to me at husband's (un-named) death. Granddaughters Agnes Allison, daughter of Theophilus & Elizabeth Allison; Agnes Neil, daughter of son Robert and Margaret Neill. Divide among my 3 sons and daughter: Andrew Snoddy, James and Robert Neill & Elizabeth Alison. Execs son-in-law Theophilus Alison; Witness Thomas Alison & Samuel Wilson, Jurat.

My line is from Samuel Snoddy and Elizabeth Sloan. See my web page at:
http://www.carolsnoddybyler.com/Genealogy/index.html
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions