SOLOMAN WISEMAN

SOLOMAN WISEMAN

Unwinllij (View posts)
Posted: 5 Dec 2001 2:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 4 Jun 2002 9:15AM GMT
Surnames: WISEMAN, KINGSBURY-DUNLOP, HAMMOND
Hello,
I too am supposed to have a link with the notorious SOLOMAN!! So far I have been unable to connect.
My most recent WISEMANS were in BRIGHTON,UK.
Grandfather CECIL HARRY HOPPER WISEMAN.
My G.Grandmother (LILLIAN KATE WISEMAN .. stage name LILLIAN KATE KAVANAH).
MY G.G.Grandfather was RICHARD HENRY WISEMAN
married AMELIA HAMMOND.
My G.G.G..Grandfather was also a RICHARD HENRY.
I believe he was born in ESSEX but not sure.
There is a connection with the GORLESTONE, WISEMAN FAMILY. My Aunt. was born in GORLESTONE ROAD.

The legend is that family members in days gone by went to Australia to try to reclaim the 'family fortune' but fell short ... by one document!!
I have amassed quite a bit of info over the years (including a copy of Soloman's will). His widow SOPHIE came back to live in HAMMERSMITH.

Regards
JILL

Re: SOLOMAN WISEMAN

Bryan_Wiseman (View posts)
Posted: 7 Dec 2001 8:17AM GMT
Edited: 17 Dec 2001 8:43AM GMT
I did E-mail you but it came back to me again. The following is a copy of the E-mail.

Hello Jill,
saw your message on the Rootsweb Notice Board. I too am interested in Solomon Wiseman, not that I am related, just trying to establish a link. He is an interesting person, and there is a well known land mark here in Australia bearing his name, 'Wiseman's Ferry'. If you go to the Rootsweb Notice Board for the Wiseman name, you will find a message there that I posted, regarding Solomon.
There is plenty of information here in Australia on Solomon, right from the time when he arrived here as a convict. The hard part, is to trace his details prior to coming to Australia.
My line of Wisemans come from Essex and I am back to 1768, William Wiseman. Below is a brief outline of my tree, also some information on Solomon. And at the very end is my URL.
Would love to hear from you, if you find any tie-ins.
Best wishes
Bryan Wiseman

This information comes from the Tillingham/Dengie/Asheldham/Bradwell-On-Sea Parish Registers and Census. Also, Information has been obtained on the Internet, Boyd’s Index, Salt Lake City, Rootsweb, notes from Rosemary Culshaw and Jim Goodwin. (See file in wooden chest)

William Wiseman born 1768, died Feb 18th 1824, aged 56. Buried at Tillingham, Essex. On the 30 Sep 1793, he married Hannah Warren. Hannah was born in 1771, at Burnham On Crouch, Essex. She died Nov 26th 1821, aged 50. Her father’s name, Thomas Warren, her mother Judith.

Known children of William and Hannah. (My line in bold red type)

Hannah 21/1/1794-29/7/1794 Burial : Tillingham, Essex.

William 2/8/1795-10/11/1875 Married Mary Clarke.(See Rosemary Culshaw’s file.)

John 31/5/1797-5/2/1877

Hannah 16/12/1799

John Wiseman married Mary Boreham 6/3/1821

Place of birth 34 Dengie End Place of birth Althorne/Maldon? yob 1798

Died 5/2/1877 Died 1/2/1876

Known children and date of birth.

Mary Ann 24/6/1821 Married George Smith 21/4/1842. One year later George died. Then married married John Goodwin. (See Jim Goodwin’s file.)

Hanna Maria 19/9/1824 Married John Philbrook 22/7/1848

Susan 24/4/1825 died 30/9/1827

William 14/5/1827

John 1/11/1829 (Labourer)

James 2/10/1831 died 19/9/1838

Eliza 27/10/1833 Married ?? James Wid 9/5/1867 (confirm)

Susan 12/8/1838 died 24/11/1860

John Wiseman married Harriet Bantock 31/3/1849

Daughter of John and Martha Bantock. dob 14/12/1828

John Wiseman was a threshing machine engine driver and lived in the street next to the Kings Head, Tillingham, Essex. Harriet came from Southminster, and she had a sister named Mary Ann who was baptised 5/2/1830.

Known children

Jane 1857

Harriet 6/11/1850

Alfred 1853

Mary Ann 1854

Bessie 1862

Alfred Wiseman married Julietta Harrington 5/10/1876, in the presence of John

and Mary Ann Wiseman. Julietta’s year of birth 1855.

They lived at No. 25 Waterside Road. Julietta came from Romford.

Known children

Alfred 1878

William 1879

John 1881

George 1883

Harry 1887

Arthur 1890

Walter 1892

Thomas 1894/1917 Buried Cairo War Memorial Cemetery 22/4/1917

Charles 1896 (My father 1894???)

Charles Wiseman married Lucy Elizabeth Hailing 1917? at St. Mary’s

Church, Hamstead Road, Birmingham, England.

Joan 1925/1991

Pauline 1926/1996

Raymond Frederick James 1928/1995

John Bryan (Me) 13/5/1932

Trevor 1937/1937

John Bryan Wiseman married Maureen Barbara Roberts 23/8/1953

Came to Australia in 1965.

Paul Stewart

Simon Mark

Paul Wiseman married Yvonne (Bonny) Holley

Adam

Joshua

Simon Wiseman married Kay Mitchelson

Ella

Carly

Solomon Wiseman

Main clues are:-

Date of Birth Apr 16, 1777.

Solomon was tried at the Old Bailey on October 30, 1805. He was found guilty and sentenced to death. Evidently the sentence was commuted to transportation.

He arrived in Australia on board the convict ship ‘Alexander’ on August 20, 1806. With him were his wife Jane Wiseman (maiden name was Middleton), one daughter and two sons. It is possible that his parents were Richard and Mary and he came from either Essex or Kent. An account of his trial appears in the Old Bailey Sessions Papers, 1804-1805. And finally, he was of the same vintage as William Wiseman.

From LDS Family Search.

Solomon Wiseman married Jane Middleton 21/1/1799, at Spitafields Christ Church, Stepney, London.

Harriet Bantock. Family Search IGI Record - batch number c150691

James Haylings married Mary Dolan 30/3/1891. At that time, James was 23, and Mary 18.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~bryanw/
bryanw@optusnet.com.au

Glenys Baxter (View posts)
Posted: 17 Dec 2001 3:10AM GMT
Hi Bryan
I am also researching Solomon Wiseman, he is my gggggrandfather. His daughter Sarah married John Martin Davis. Would like to hear from you.
Sincerely Glenys Baxter

Unwinllij (View posts)
Posted: 18 Dec 2001 2:09PM GMT
Surnames: KINGSBURY-DUNLOP, HAMMOND, ROBINSON (LEWES)
HELLO GLENYS,
Would be interested in knowing your SOLOMAN line.
I have WISEMAN roots with links to BRIGHTON( SUSSEX) GORLESTON( NORFOLK) and Essex or London.

Family legend has it that SOLOMAN was an ancestor but as yet I have plenty of info on him but no proof of relationship.

I have been in touch with BRYAN WISEMAN who has a brilliant web page.

Any info greatfully received.

Regards and HAPPY CHRISTMAS to all WISEMAN folk.

JILL

sharon (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jun 2002 3:25AM GMT
Surnames: Wiseman/Potter/ Grynyer /Tester
Jill, I have noticed that you have Wiseman in your family from the Brighton Sussex part of England. I have found that our line of Wiseman came from there also. I have William John Potter Marrying Sarah Wiseman in All Souls, St Marylebone, London England in 1850. I know they had a son in Illinois in 1858 or 1859. Sarah Wiseman's parents were Mathew Wiseman and Susanna Geyner from Brighton Sussex England. I do not have any more information then that for the Wisemans and Potters, I believe though that Susanna Geynyer's parents were James Grynyer and Judith Tester. Is any of this familiar to you? Any help would be great. Sharon msyvertson@earthlink.net

Re: SOLOMAN WISEMAN and BRIGHTON WISEMAN

Unwinllij (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jun 2002 11:58AM GMT
Hi Sharon,

Thanks for your your reply.
I am aware of Mathew and Susannah who were living in BRIGHTON in the 1830s. I believe Mathew was a cousin or brother of Richard Henry (my G.G. Grandfather who was also married in London)). Richard's father was George Henry.

I know that M & S had at least two daughters (Mary & Sara) whilst living in Brighton.

I should love to know about the Illinois connection... are there any offshoots still in those parts?

My records are in an extremely erratic state but I will endevour to plow through and find more info in the next couple of weeks.

Also like to know your connection with the Wiseman family,

Look forward to hearing from you,
Kind Regards,
JILL

sharon (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jun 2002 3:01PM GMT
Surnames: Wiseman / Potter
Jill , Thanks for your reply . My husbands grandmother was Florence Potter, her parents were Claude Potter and Mary Smith, Claudes Parents were Sarah Wiseman and William John Potter. Sarah Wisemans Parents were Mathew Wiseman and Susanna Grynyer . That is as far as I have for the Wisemans. Claude and Mary lived in Winona ,Minnesota,they had daughters Florence, Sarah, Josephine and possible 1or 2 boys , a cousin to my father -in law said there were boys, i found the girls on a census record .Sarah Potter never married, and Josephine Potter married a Corey . Florence married a Syvertson and moved to ND. William and Sarah Wiseman/Potter had three boys that i found Will Mathew, Married Mary Evans In Indiana, Will was born in Illinois. Claude that i already mentioned. and Frank Lloyd who i have no record of Marrying.Claude was born in Illinois and Frank in Indiana.I have not found where in Illinois they lived yet. I have only found that from death records and census records that there were in Illinois.Will and Mary had two daughters on a census record , they might have more children i don't know. last night I recieved a e-mail from Marion , it was wonderful to get mor info, and so nice to have taken the time to look up this info for me. Marion said that Sarah had a brother James Wiseman 11 yrs old in 1851 and a Daughter Sarah Fanny Potter born in England in 1851. the message was posted on the board in reply to my quarry.Would you like dates for the Potter/ wiseman that i know, Let me know and i will send anouther e-mail . E mail me at msyvertson@earthlink.net Sharon

Unwinllij (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jun 2002 2:43PM GMT
Surnames: WISEMAN ROBINSON SPEED GRINYER ROGERS HARRINGTON HAMMOND
Hello Sharon,

I have just come across some notes that I jotted down some years ago... unfortunatley in those days I didn't usually write down my source of information.. but they were gathered mostly from Brighton Reference Library.
Anyway here goes...

MATHEW WISEMAN b 1746 married SARAH SIMMS in 1779 lived CLAPHAM.
They had:
MATHEW b 1781
SARAH b 1783
JOHN ROBERT b 1785
ELIZABETH b 1787
WILLIAM b 1788

MATHEW b 1746 - d 1812 married MARY ?(1781 - 1851) Lodginghouse Keeper UPPER ROCK GDNS, BRIGHTON
They had:
MATHEW b 1806
WILLIAM b 1806 (SHOEMAKER)
POSSIBLY GEORGE (my G.G.Grandfather) born 1803/5
POSSIBLY CHARLOTTE

MATHEW b 1806 d 1839 married SUSANNAH GRINYER
They had:
MATHEW b 1827
MARY b 1830
MARK b 1832
SARAH b 1833
LUKE b 1836
(SARAH was living with Grandmother by 1841 in Upper Rock Grdns)

William b 1806 (SHOEMAKER) married SUSAN in 1832 (b 1806)
They had:
LOUISA
JANE
WILLIAM Shopman b 1842 married ESTHER (nurse) lived Wood St.Brighton.

There was a CHARLOTTE WISEMAN (TAILOR) living in UPPER EDWARD STREET BRIGHTON in 1841

Other BRIGHTON addresses for the WISEMAN family were:

CAVENDISH St.
UNION St.
RIDING SCHOOL Lane
WASHINGTON St.
BRIGHTON place
CARLTON ST.
BLENHEIM Place
TICHBOURNE St.
ROSE HILL (DUKE of WELLINGTON) Beer House
VIADUCT Road

I do have some more info (also much of it unconfirmed)
but hope this may give leads to someone.

KIND REGARDS,
JILL

sharon (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jun 2002 2:43AM GMT
Surnames: Wiseman
Jill, This much of the last note is for sure our family,
MATHEW b 1806 d 1839 married SUSANNAH GRINYER
They had:
MATHEW b 1827
MARY b 1830
MARK b 1832
SARAH b 1833
LUKE b 1836
(SARAH was living with Grandmother by 1841 in Upper Rock Grdns)

I did not know any of the other names for sure, Thanks for the information.your G-G Grandfather George is a brother to Mathew born in 1806, who is my Husbands G-G-G-Grandfather . So I guess that you have found the connection.Thanks for the information. Is there any information that i can share with you. i would love any more information that you have, and I would love to share any thing that I know with you. Keep in touch. Sharon

studiollij5fasdfasd5 (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jun 2002 6:54AM GMT
Edited: 19 Sep 2002 2:36PM GMT
Hi Sharon,
I am still unable to confirm that GEORGE ( I should have put 3X G.Grandfather) and MATHEW are brothers ... although I strongly suspect this to be the case (but none of GEORGE's children were named MATHEW) and I can find no GEORGE prior to my GEORGE. Should love to know if you have evidence.
However, as mentioned before my G..G.Grandfather married AMELIA HAMMOND and I know you mentioned a cousin MARY ANN HAMMOND.

Was MARY ANN born in BRIGHTON or LONDON?

Please send any info you have.

Kind Regards,
JILL
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions