Search for content in message boards

Preakness Dairy

Preakness Dairy

Jobranto (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jul 2001 2:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Aug 2001 10:02PM GMT
Looking for information on the Preakness Dairy.

Re: Preakness Dairy

bettylou_walker (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jul 2001 1:41AM GMT
Edited: 11 Jan 2003 12:43AM GMT
Surnames: Preakness Dairy
Preakness Dairy was located on Riverview Drive, Wayne near the Totowa Boro line. There is an intersection there where Riverview Drive, Totowa Road, Valley Road and French Hill all come together. It was near the Passaic County Golf Course and not far from the Dey Mansion.

Jobranto (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jul 2001 12:45PM GMT
Edited: 19 Aug 2001 10:02PM GMT
Betty Lou,
My grandfather owned the dairy and I am looking for stories or remembrances of the area. You seem to know alot about the area, are you from preakness or Wayne?

Posted: 28 Jul 2001 5:30PM GMT
I was born in Little Falls where I went to school and after marriage moved to West Paterson. I am now in Sussex County. My husband worked for Jacob Kuiken's Dairy up the street from the Preakness Dairy and in later years worked for Thomas Electronics housed in a building just up from your dairy that once was some sort of a bakery. He was trying to remember who owned the dairy so maybe you can share your dads name with us. lulu5616@tellurian.net

ShirleyLevine27 (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jul 2001 1:26AM GMT
Edited: 10 Mar 2005 6:01PM GMT
I grew up in Wayne NJ - and have only vague memories of the name Preakness Dairy. Was it also Lami's (?spelling) ice cream? If so I have vivid memories and can even taste the pistachio flavor as I sit here typing.

Shirley

Posted: 2 Aug 2001 2:56AM GMT
Lami's Dairy was a wonderful place to go for ice cream. I also remember it. However, it was on Totowa Road up the street from the Dey Mansion/Passaic County Golf Course. Preakness Dairy was the other direction out on Riverview Drive. Where Totowa Road meets Riverview drive it was right acrosss the street.

Posted: 11 Aug 2001 8:52PM GMT
Joann contact me at lulu5616@tellurian.net. I made a contact for you.

Linda Naughton (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jul 2002 10:17PM GMT
My mom told me that the Preakness Dairy was where the golf course at Dey Mansion is.

nccar1 (View posts)
Posted: 20 Oct 2004 6:30PM GMT
I remember the Preakness Dairy, as we use to get 'fresh milk' from there each week. I use to live on the Hamburg Tpk.

etmontgomery (View posts)
Posted: 22 Nov 2009 12:51AM GMT
To my knowledge the dairy was owned by the Sikkema (sp?) family. It was located opposite the intersection of Riverview Drive and Totowa road. The dairy extended along Singac Brook. Sometime in the mid 1950s they began importing milk from Warren County via tank truck and processing it at their creamery. Preakness Dairy trucks were a light yellow/cream and red. I believe the drivers owned their own equipment and milk route distributing Preakness Dairy products. Each driver could have a different make of truck. I remember Internationals, and Divcos in Preakness Dairy colors. There were still Bulls on the property in the late 1950s. Some time in the 1970s the company closed or and drivers got milk from other suppliers. When I lived in Wayne my family got Preakness Dairy milk. Fred Sikkema was our milk man. As the 1960s marched on, the jug milk stores came along putting a lot of milk routes out of business. I can remember going over to the Garden State Farms store in the Preakness Shopping Center for a gallon of milk. Some time after that milk delivery stopped. I'm not sure whether we stopped delivery or Preakness Dairy closed.

Ed Montgomery

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions