Search for content in message boards

Ancestors came to Nova Scotia 1826-28 Isle of Lewis

Ancestors came to Nova Scotia 1826-28 Isle of Lewis

Lisa Hanba (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Buchanan, Campbell
Looking for any information about William Buchanan (Red) and Christena Campbell who married on the Isle of Lewis and sailed to Eel Cove, St. Anns Harbor, Canada between 1826 and 1828. Their children are Margaret (married Angus Smith),Christie (married Murdoch Buchanan), Malcolm (married Effie), Mary (married Angus Buchanan), John (married Margaret MacKay), Annie, (married John Smith), Murdoch (married Christena MacLeod), Angus (not sure if he married)

Buchanans of Lewis/Cape Breton

Lisa Hanba (View posts)
Posted: 9 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Dear Angus,
Thank you for geting back to me. If you have an address,
I will be happy to send you a copy of the family tree. Are you related to us in any way? My grandmother was Mary Agnus and was born in Nova Scotia in 1907. She married a gentleman by the name of Angus Smith, who passed away when my mother was young. I am located in Flushing, Michigan USA and would love to keep in touch with you. Are you from the states , Canada, or Scotland? I was just in London over the
Easter holiday and am a frequent visitor. Please keep in touch and again, I appreciate the information that you have provided.
Sincerely,
Lisa Hanba
7441 River Rd.
Flushing, Michigan 48433

ASmith8066 (View posts)
Posted: 9 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 6 Jan 2002 7:41PM GMT
Dear Lisa,

I don't have a lot of information on William Buchanan, but I know that he lived in the village of Aline in the parish of Lochs on the Isle of Lewis.
This village was cleared to make way for sheep farming c1827, and I believe that William went to the village of Tong in Lewis for a short time before
emigrating to Canada.
Aline was settled in the mid 1700's to protect the Lewis border from incursions by Harris tenants. The Buchanans (it is believed) came from to Aline from
Kirkibost in Bernera, Isle of Lewis, probably as a result of the Kelp industry.

A letter by the factor in c1824 states

"The most of the Achlinn (Aline) tenants will go to America if removed. They are very decent, obedient tenants and good kelp maufacturers."

I will try to find you more information if you are interested.
I would be very interested in any further information you may have on this family and their decendants

Cheers

Angus

ASmith8066 (View posts)
Posted: 10 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 17 Feb 2009 4:10PM GMT
Surnames: Buchanan
Dear Lisa,

Scotland born and bred!
I live on the Isle of Lewis, just a few miles away from Aline and Red Buchanan's former residence. As for being related - it might be possible - I would be very interested in seeing your family tree!
Drop me a line if you require any more information!

Keep in touch

Angus

Lisa Hanba (View posts)
Posted: 11 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 17 Feb 2009 4:10PM GMT
Surnames: Buchanan, Smith
Angus,
Thanks again for the email. I will post my family tree to you by this weekend. I have often heard my Grandmother speak of Red Buchanan as one of our ancestors and I will also try to get a bit more information on my Grandfather Angus Smith's family. Have a great weekend.
Lisa

ASmith8066 (View posts)
Posted: 4 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 17 Feb 2009 4:11PM GMT
Looking in my notes, I see there was another Buchanan in Aline. He appears in the Militia list
for the parish of Lochs in 1821.

His name in John, and he is described as being a tenant in Aline aged 24
years.

Cheers!

Angus

Re: Buchanans of Lewis/Cape Breton

glbuch (View posts)
Posted: 6 Feb 2003 8:42PM GMT
Hello Angus. I live in The Pas, Manitoba, Canada. I am a direct descendent of William "Red" Buchanan. If you like, I will send you the family history from "Red" to me. Are there any family members still living on the Island of Lewis? I would be interested in learning more about his home community. Thank you!

Buchanans of Lewis/Cape Breton (William "Red" Buchanan)

olsen3329 (View posts)
Posted: 17 Feb 2009 2:24PM GMT
Surnames: MacKay, Buchanan
I am hoping I link into this line. William had a son John who married Margaret MacKay. I think this might be my great great grandfather.
My great grandfather was Daniel (Donald) Buchanan who was born "near" Sydney Nova Scotia in 1849/50 - his parents were John Buchanan and Margaret MacKay (from Daniel's marriage certificate). They moved to Goderich Ontario shortly after Daniel's birth. Do any of you have information about John and Margaret? Thanks.
Anne

olsen3329 (View posts)
Posted: 17 Feb 2009 5:57PM GMT
I am a descendant of William Red Buchanan too. I live in Kitchener, Ontario, and would love to hear about the family history you have. My great great great grandfather was William, and I come through his son John.
Anne Olsen
olsen3329@rogers.com
30 Chartwell Court
Kitchener, Ontario
N2A 3M1

DanBuchanan429 (View posts)
Posted: 15 Dec 2012 5:38PM GMT
I am a descendant of Angus B. Buchanan and Mary Buchanan who lived in Uig Parish (near Carnish) on the Isle of Lewis. The Angus B. family immigrated to Cape Breton Island about 1827 or 1828 (at about the same time that the William “Red” family immigrated there).

There appears to be connections between the William "Red" and the Angus B. families.

Apparently, two sons of Angus B. Buchanan and Mary Buchanan, Angus B. “Squire” and Murdoch, married two daughters of William “Red” Buchanan and Christena Campbell, Mary “Maggie” and Christie. Both couples had sons named William and Angus.

In addition, one researcher has indicated that Angus B “Squire”, son of Angus B. Buchanan and Mary Buchanan, may have married his first cousin Mary “Maggie” Buchanan, daughter of William “Red” Buchanan and Christena Campbell in Cape Breton Island. This implies that either Angus B. or Mary may be a sibling of William “Red”. Of these two possibilities, I believe that it is more likely that Mary and William are siblings.

Does anyone have information about these possible relationships? Does anyone know the names of William "Red" Buchanan siblings (specifically did he have a sister named Mary)?

Thanks
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions