Search for content in message boards

Galveston Co. Orphanages

Galveston Co. Orphanages

S Manthey-Zorn (View posts)
Posted: 9 Feb 2007 3:16AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: WOODS, HALLETT, GRANBERRY
I was in an orphanage in Galveston County in 1946. Does anyone know how many orphan homes there were at that time and the names so I may contact them.
I was adopted in Oct, 1946. My birth mother was Maria L (Woods) Hallett, ex-wife to Clyde Hallett. She was supposed to have been born in TX. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Re: Galveston Co. Orphanages

PaSain (View posts)
Posted: 10 Feb 2007 5:32PM GMT
ST. MARY'S ORPHANAGE, GALVESTON. St. Mary's Orphanage, an institution of the Catholic Diocese of Galveston (now the Catholic Diocese of Galveston-Houston), was operated by the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word from 1867 until 1968, when its functions were absorbed by the Family Life Services office of the diocese.

GALVESTON CHILDREN'S HOME. The Galveston Children's Home was founded on October 20, 1878, by Galveston journalist George B. Dealey. In 1944 the home housed 65 children. In 1984 the Galveston Children's Home, along with the Lasker Home for Homeless Children and other children's facilities in Galveston, merged to become the Children's Center, Incorporated.

Source: The Handbook of Texas Online
http://www.tsha.utexas.edu

Posted: 11 Feb 2007 2:44AM GMT
Thank you so much for the answer. That's just what I needed to know.

SageM41755 (View posts)
Posted: 22 Apr 2009 5:32AM GMT
Hi...I am new to the site and saw your question about the orphanages in Galveston...I believe my mom and her 2 brothers were in that orphanage after my grandmother's husband met with tragic accident and passed away leaving my grandmother pregnant and with 3 small children...I imagine there was no life insuranace and she had to put my mom and 2 uncles in one of the orphanages....there was mention of nuns so I am thinking that it was St. Mary's..did you ever get any info that you might be able to pass on to me....lists of orphans or something? Many thanks if you see this and can send me anything....Melanie Braselton

Denise Childs (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jun 2009 6:59PM GMT
From what I can find in my research, there were two orphanages in Galveston County: St. Mary's Orphanage and Galveston Orphans Home. I hope this helps you in some way. Best of luck!

LIVENLOVE0603 (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jun 2009 5:34PM GMT
S Manthey-Zorn,

I was wondering if you have been in contact with the lady you replied back to many years ago. Who also believes her birthmother to be Lilliam Woods? I noticed that she has not read the message that you sent so I was just wondering. I can get you in touch with her if you haven't. I am a Tx Search Angel and was researching her search.

melissa

Please email me privately at melmullins68@aol.com and put Lilliam Woods in subject so I wont delete you.

JillMarie55 (View posts)
Posted: 17 Feb 2012 5:20AM GMT
I am researching survivor accounts of anyone who was in the orphans home during the Great Storm of 1900. If you know of any information, I'd love to hear from you at jillmkirkley@yahoo.com.

Posted: 17 Feb 2012 6:09PM GMT
Surnames: Woods; Hallett

Messaage sent off list
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions