ST. MARY'S ORPHANAGE, GALVESTON. St. Mary's Orphanage, an institution of the Catholic Diocese of Galveston (now the Catholic Diocese of Galveston-Houston), was operated by the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word from 1867 until 1968, when its functions were absorbed by the Family Life Services office of the diocese.
GALVESTON CHILDREN'S HOME. The Galveston Children's Home was founded on October 20, 1878, by Galveston journalist George B. Dealey. In 1944 the home housed 65 children. In 1984 the Galveston Children's Home, along with the Lasker Home for Homeless Children and other children's facilities in Galveston, merged to become the Children's Center, Incorporated.
Source: The Handbook of Texas Onlinehttp://www.tsha.utexas.edu