Search for content in message boards

Gambles in Alabama during 1800's

Gambles in Alabama during 1800's

searchingfornancy (View posts)
Posted: 21 Mar 2000 9:45AM GMT
Edited: 21 Jul 2004 4:29PM GMT
Looking for relatives of Margaret Gamble, married to Washington Wilson around 1840 - 1860 or so. Lived in Alabama, but do not know counties.

Gambles Wilsons

carolflores46 (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jun 2000 12:54AM GMT
Edited: 31 Jul 2001 6:03AM GMT
Hello, I am a descendant of a Phebe Naomi Gamble b 12-15-1825 in Fairfield SC. Her parents were Samuel R. (for Rand) and Rachael Wilson Gamble. Believe Rachael came from a big family of girls in Edgefield Co. In the 1830's they moved to Wilcox Co AL. Phebe who marr a John G. Walker in adjacent Dallas Co AL moved to TX in 1867 with her family, and John G.'s brothers families. She owned an a great deal of land in Leon Co TX, at least 3 640 acre plots going back to the orig. Spanish landgrants, and always used her initials P.N.Walker to sign them. However, her parents are buried in the Gamble cemetery at Shell Creek in Wilcox Co and it was taken care of by a Gamble who lives near, the last we heard. Rachael apparently had an uncle named Theophilus Wilson in SC; there is also one in AL with her, and she named a son Theophilus Wilson Walker. If I hear anymore on your Wash. WIlson I'll let you know. I do know that these Gamble girls married into Jacksons, Flanagans, and Houstons while in AL. Gambles also liked to marry other Gambles. This is not the Hugh Gaston Gamble family, as that is another line from PA. My Gamble came from Ireland on the "Pennsylvania Farmer" ship so you might want to check the list.

Wilson's and Gamble's in 1800's

Posted: 9 Jun 2000 3:40PM GMT
Edited: 21 Jul 2004 4:29PM GMT
Thank you so much for your reply. It was very
interesting, particularly since my Washington
Wilson was born in South Carolina, and migrated
west to AL. I can't figure out the county. I
will check the ones you mention. Margaret Gamble
was definitely born in AL, though, according to
their daughter's death certificate. Their
daughter was born ca 1860, putting her mother's
(Margaret's) birth anywhere from ca 1820 - 1842-3
in AL. If you ever run into a Margaret Gamble
in that time frame, I would very much
appreciate hearing from you. Thanks! JCR

birth

Gamble's in Alabama

Christine Gambe (View posts)
Posted: 25 Aug 2000 7:13PM GMT
My great-grandfather, Sam Gamble lived in Alabama in the early 1800's. Could you be my relative? I'm no sure of his daughter's name, but he had sons by the names of Clinton, Jack, And Ebb.

Re: Wilson's and Gamble's in 1800's

shadow84797 (View posts)
Posted: 6 Sep 2006 2:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gamble
I Have a Margaret J or A Gamble born in Tn 1850

Ck. the 1860 Cencus for District 15, Hamilton, Tn.

Re: Gambles in Alabama during 1800's

goodgirlonhere (View posts)
Posted: 21 Oct 2007 6:40PM GMT
Surnames: Gamble, Kimbell, Girault, Nethery, Fannie Smythe King
I recently found a small "Gamble family" cemetary here in Alabama. It is in Mooresville. Mooresville used to be the capital city for about a year around the time Alabama became a state. It is in Limestone County.

There are 2 headstones I can't read but most of the others I could. I posted that information on another thread. There was no Margeret Gamble buried there but there is another cemetary down the road about a mile. It's grown up and mostly abandoned.

The Gambles buried in this cemetary do include a "John H. Gamble" the son of James H. and Huldah J. Gamble who died in 1862 from injuries received in the civil war. I recently contacted the National Archives to get his name placed on the soldier's list. He was in the 14th Alabama Cavelrie.
The other Gambles were Ruffin (or Buffin) and Helen P. Gamble. They had 8 children of which all died young. (5 under the age of 5 and 2 under 19).
These may not be your relatives, but should give you an idea of where you can find other possible Gambles in the Alabama area. Good luck!

FFelcman (View posts)
Posted: 18 Oct 2012 3:33PM GMT
Surnames: Gamble, Wilson
Margaret Taylor Gamble born Oct. 12, 1829 in AL, Married Wash. Wilson (born abt 1808 in SC) In September 1857.Their children: John F.(1858), Lois (ukn), Etta (ukn),Vashitsi W. (1865), Robert Lee (ukn). Margaret parents were John Rufus Gamble (1792 SC) and Jane Mills (1797 TN). His father was Robert Gamble born 1755 in Ireland, immagrated to South Carolina about 1768, fought in American Revolution with 2nd
Regiment South Carolina.

maggimaeann (View posts)
Posted: 17 Mar 2013 5:21AM GMT
Are you speaking of Robert G. Gamble b. 1755 Londonderry, Ireland married to Margaret Mary Blair b. 1773 and they lived in South Carolina and later moved to Shelby County, Alabama? If you are I would like to converse with you on the Gambles. Thanks Andy

Posted: 17 Mar 2013 12:07PM GMT
Yes, that's exactly the family. I do not have primary evidence of the information you cite, but indications are that's the background.

Since I wrote the original question I have collected a lot more information. I'd be glad to share what I have, and would be very pleased to hear where you connect.

FFelcman (View posts)
Posted: 17 Mar 2013 1:47PM GMT
Surnames: Gamble/Blair

ref: Robert Gamble/Margaret Mary Blair. They were my gggg grandparents.I have never been able to verify his middle name and I have her as being born about 1758. They had moved to the Mississippi Territoy which later became a part of Madison County,AL. About 1817 or 18 they moved to Shelby County where she died aboust 1830 and he died in 1832. I have a copy of his hand written will dated Feb. 1832. The Shelby County Historical Society has a lot of information about the Gamble Family.Family Search CD-Rom #136 covers about 8 generations of the family
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions