Search for content in message boards

Tracking Carter Family who resided in GA, SC, NC, and VA during the 1700's and 1800's

Tracking Carter Family who resided in GA, SC, NC, and VA during the 1700's and 1800's

Lee (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jun 2000 4:58PM GMT
Searching for missing puzzle pieces to fill in the gaps about my Carter Ancestors. One of my ancestors, Mrs. George (Catherine Carter) Dame, was born between 1788-1800 (possibly in Elizabeth City, Pasquotank, NC). She died in 1870, Clinch Co. GA. and was the daughter of Elmore and Delilah (West) Carter. Delilah was the daughter of Willoughby West of Currituck Co., NC. Elmore Carter was born around 1770 (supposedly in Elizabeth City, Pasquotank, NC) Elmore Carter is reportedly the son of Jesse Carter (bc1740). I tracked them both residing in the Georgetown Dist, Prince George's Parish, SC on the 1790 census. Later they are both residing in Camden Dist., Kershaw Co. SC, as proved by an 1806 mortgage from Jesse Carter, dated Oct 27, 1806, Camden Dist., Kershaw Co., SC.; And also is found a deed of land sold by Emore Carter and his wife, Delilah, of Kershaw Co., dated Jan 5, 1811. Elmore Carter is found later residing in Washington Co., then Montomery Co. where he died about 1836, his will was probated in
Montgomery Co., GA. His father, Jesse Carter, is supposed to be the son of Jacob Carter, of Carter's Ford on the Salkehatchie River, St Bartholomew's Parish, Colleton Co., SC. Jacob Carter supposedly had 6 sons (of which Jesse is reported to be the eldest, Issac Carter the youngest, with four others, George, David, Elijah, and one unknown name). Jacob Carter also had 4 daughters, who I have no names for at this time. Jacob Carter's son George moved from SC to Tattnal Co. GA about 1808, later moving to Appling upon its creation. Jacob's youngest son, Isaac Carter, was also one of the first settlers in Appling Co.GA (created about 1819). Another of Jacob Carter's son, Elijah Carter, died at age 107 years in Barnwell Dist, SC. Most of his issue had moved about 1824 to Lowndes Co., GA, settling near the Alapaha River.
I have read that Jacob Carter was a descendant of the Virginia Carter Family. If anyone can point me in the right direction to find some of these missing links of information, I would be most greatful.

Tracking Carter Family who resided in GA, SC, NC, and VA during the 1700's

Doris Winskie (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jun 2000 5:02PM GMT
I wonder how Henry H. Carter, b. 8 Feb 1806,
d. 12 May 1867, would fit into this family.
He also was from that area of SC. He married
Elinor Wroton, b. 11 Mar 1801, d. 18 Oct 1861.
They are both buried in Carter Ford Baptist
Church Cemetery. They had a daughter, Sarah
Adeline Caret who m. Thomas Giles Caldwell.

Carter relative

CHENSLEY515 (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jun 2000 11:47AM GMT
Edited: 2 Aug 2001 3:38AM GMT
My great grandmother was Sally Carter. She Married Bruce Hensley who was borned in NC. My great grandmother was from Wise County, VA they had 8 or more children. My grandfather was henry J. Hensley who was borned in 1879. I am trying to find any relative of them.

Carters of Colleton Co., SC

Doris Winskie (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jun 2000 9:36AM GMT
The Carter line I am tracing right now is only in SC.
I have no knowledge of the ones in VA. I am finding
Carters are like Smiths....everywhere. Good Luck
The only thing I have found lately is Henry Carter in
the 1820 SC Census in Colleton Co. and both Henry and
Eleanore are in the 1860 census, Eleanore d. 1861 and
Henry in 1867.

carter

grovene (View posts)
Posted: 18 Aug 2000 12:36AM GMT
Edited: 20 Jul 2001 3:32AM GMT
my ggg+granddad was jesse s\o george.
my grandmother was sally j carter d\o
matthew carter.sally was b. apr 22 1866.my mother is from naylor,lowndes
co.ga.

Carter Family

Lee Hatch (View posts)
Posted: 18 Aug 2000 8:19AM GMT
Do you have much information on your family? Was your Jesse Carter born about 1774, the eldest son of George Carter, born about 1742 in SC, and died about 1822 in Appling County, GA? If so, the DAR has that George Carter listed as being a pvt. from St. Bartholomew's Parish, Colleton Dist, SC during the American Rev. and on the Cherokee Expedition. About 1808, he moved from SC to Tattnall Co., GA on the Ohoopee River, and along with him went his brothers, Jesse Carter (my ancestor) and David Carter, and also their cousins, William Carter and James Carter. Apparently many of the Carter family were ranchers and were always looking for acreages their large herds of cattle could to graze upon. George Carter is found living in Tattnall Co. on the 1820 census, but appears on the Georgia Land Lottery as a resident of Appling Co (formed 1819) which indicates he had moved there after 1820. His youngest brother, Isaac Carter, left SC and was already living in Appling Co. GA prior to 1820. George Carter was the eldest son of Jacob Carter of Carter's Ford on the Salkehatchie River in St. Bartholomeew's Parish, Colleton Co., SC. He had six sons and four daughters. I only know a few of their names: My ancestor and eldest son, Jesse (b.c1740), George (b.c1742), David, Elijah (d.age 107 years in Barnwell Co., SC), and Issac (b. 1774, was the youngest child. He was a great hunter and was one of the first settlers of Appling Co., GA). This information was found in books researched and written by Folks Huxford.

Carter Family

grovene (View posts)
Posted: 18 Aug 2000 1:57PM GMT
Lee,
Received your letter and yes Jesse Carter b. 1774 son of Gorge Carter, 1740 is my ancestor, Jesse Married Molsy Touchton. Their Son John (one of the twoins,) b. 1809, married Elizabeth Knight is my ancestor. John and Elizabeth had 14 children. Their fifth child Mattew M. b. 1839 is my g-grandfather. There is quite an interesting story told about Bay John Carter. We visited Burnt Church (just outside Lakeland Ga) The story goes that John built this church for a meeting place for the community and to save his wife frome having to travel so far to go to church. It is told, the Indians tried to burn this building any time they came through the area. Fineally the slaves burned it down when they were making potash soap. We found Elizabeth Knight Carter and her Father the Rev.Kight's graves in the Burnt church Cemetery. We also found James and John the twins in the of James Carter in the Carter Cemetery, located on a parcel of the Old Carter Plantation, SW of Naylor. We have really enjoyed our adventures into the distant past. Isn's the Huxofd Library great? A lot of history there. My g-grandmother was a Howell from the Naylor and Howell area Haven't gotten into that side of the family yet. A lot of Carter-Howell marriages! on record. This should be interesting. Later, Grovene

Carter Family

grovene (View posts)
Posted: 18 Aug 2000 1:59PM GMT
Lee,
Received your letter and yes Jesse Carter b. 1774 son of Gorge Carter, 1740 is my ancestor, Jesse Married Molsy Touchton. Their Son John (one of the twoins,) b. 1809, married Elizabeth Knight is my ancestor. John and Elizabeth had 14 children. Their fifth child Mattew M. b. 1839 is my g-grandfather. There is quite an interesting story told about Bay John Carter. We visited Burnt Church (just outside Lakeland Ga) The story goes that John built this church for a meeting place for the community and to save his wife frome having to travel so far to go to church. It is told, the Indians tried to burn this building any time they came through the area. Fineally the slaves burned it down when they were making potash soap. We found Elizabeth Knight Carter and her Father the Rev.Kight's graves in the Burnt church Cemetery. We also found James and John the twins in the of James Carter in the Carter Cemetery, located on a parcel of the Old Carter Plantation, SW of Naylor. We have really enjoyed our adventures into the distant past. Isn's the Huxofd Library great? A lot of history there. My g-grandmother was a Howell from the Naylor and Howell area Haven't gotten into that side of the family yet. A lot of Carter-Howell marriages! on record. This should be interesting. Later, Grovene

Carter Family

grovene (View posts)
Posted: 18 Aug 2000 2:01PM GMT
Lee,

george carter

peggy trammell (View posts)
Posted: 7 Oct 2000 3:48AM GMT
george carter is my gggrandfather. can you send
me info on him? i have lots of info too that
might be of interest to you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions