Search for content in message boards

Samuel Ewing and Emilia Blaney Ireland to Scotland

Samuel Ewing and Emilia Blaney Ireland to Scotland

ripriprip (View posts)
Posted: 13 Oct 2007 11:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ewing Blaney
William, contact me, it's Tammy - my computer crashed and I lost your email addy. I am working on trying to find out more info on this couple and their son Mathew Ewing born about 1806 in Ireland.

Tammy
ancestry@ripandrevmedia.ca

Re: Samuel Ewing and Emilia Blaney Ireland to Scotland

jimmy16805 (View posts)
Posted: 11 Dec 2007 7:57PM GMT
Surnames: ewing
I'm on this one as well -- does anyone have info pre 1806

kbt5579 (View posts)
Posted: 11 Dec 2007 8:47PM GMT
How about some dates on Samuel, please.

I have a lot of them.

Use the e-mail address below.

Jerry D. Warren
kbt5579@roadrunner.com

jimmy16805 (View posts)
Posted: 12 Dec 2007 12:33PM GMT
Tammy & Jerry-- this is James Ewing Thomson from Scotland-- both my wife & myself are descended from Samuel Ewing & Emilia Blaney thru' the Mathew Ewing a coal miner who stayed in Scotland. What is the evidence for Samuel being killed at Salamanca & for the other details of the Irish connection. I only have him as the father of Mathew, a soldier.Incidently we have Mathews in the family up to recently-- & same spelling!
Be delighted to share details of the family in scotland after 1806.

ripriprip (View posts)
Posted: 12 Dec 2007 4:54PM GMT
Surnames: Ewing, Blaney, Williamson, Davidson, Kelly, Lang
Here is what I have on my mystery Samuel Ewing.

Born abt. 1780, Died abt. 1812
Born in Ireland, probably Tyrone Co, but still looking for proof of the location.

Died 1812 -probably in the war at the battle of Salamanca.
A war under Wellington.
(I have tried to search for a list of Wellington's casualties, there were over 5000, but have been unable to find anything- can anyone point me to a link?).

Samuel married Emilia Blaney, in Ireland.

My information says they had at least one son, named Mathew Ewing, born 1806 in Ireland. I have a lot of info on this Mathew.

The story seems to be that Mathew was taken to Scotland about 1812-1813 with either his mom, or his aunt or uncle on his father's side. Where he remained for the rest of his life.

Mathew Married Mary Davidson (1810-1860) and they had at least 6 children, who were all born in Ayr Scotland.
Ann Ewing b.1838
Samuel Ewing b.1840
Agnes Ewing b.1842
Mathew Ewing b. abt 1843
Margaret Newberry Ewing b.1844
Agnes Lang Ewing b.1851
(I think this last Agnes may have been a niece, but no proof)

Mathew died at Kilwinning, Ayrshire, Scotland, on 5 April 1870.

BACK TO SAMUEL...
His parents were,
Mathew Ewing and Ann Kelly, both of Ireland, probably Tyrone.
This family had roots in Scotland, but I believe Mathew and Ann were both born in Ireland. I have family history that tells me Samuel's parents names, no documented proof other then that yet.

Samuel Ewing's siblings were:
-James Ewing b. 1785 Ireland, d.1876 Pike River, Quebec, Canada. (Married Jean Piercy in Ary Scotland before going to Canada)
-Nancy Anne Ewing b.1790 Ireland, d. 1865, Holiday Creek, Iowa, USA (she married John Lang in Scotland, and lived in Bruce Mines, Ontario prior to residing in Iowa.)
- Robert Ewing* b.1797 Ireland, d. Feb 1869 Volga, Clayton County, Iowa, USA. (married Mary Williamson in Murkirk, Ayr, Scotland before going to USA about 1853).

* There has been some speculation that this Robert Ewing might have been a son of Samuel Ewing and Emilia Blaney, a brother to Mathew, however, to date my research leans towards this Robert being Samuel's Brother, not son.

I do have more info on the decendents, if anyone wants to contact me for that...

I sure would like anyone with more info about Samuel, Mathew, and Ann Kelly, to contact me to.

Tammy

ripriprip (View posts)
Posted: 12 Dec 2007 5:12PM GMT
Surnames: Ewing, Blaney, Ranns, Kelly, Thomson, Mitchell
Hi James Ewing Thomson, I just noticed your post after posting my own reply.

The story that Samuel died in the war under Wellington, came from a woman named Anna Ranns (maiden name Ewing) who was born in 1909 and did some extensive family tree research at that time. I got a copy of this research from the museum in Pike River Quebec. it is about 25 pages long (I have only scanned about 7 of them into my computer so far :( .)
I have been in telephone contact with closer relatives of Anna Ranns, they live in Whitehorse, Canada.

I got the information of Samuel Ewings parents names ie:
Mathew Ewing and Ann Kelly from two sources, however these sources are only family history.

The documentation from Anna Ewing Ranns, and my own living relatives who went to Quebec's to find out family history. They actually knocked on the minister's door, who was at the family church at the time, about 1970's maybe. And went thru the shoeboxes of information the church had, and found out the names of Mathew and Kelly at that time. But they only wrote the info down, they did not get documentation.

I am Tammy Mitchell descendant from Samuel's brother James Ewing.
You may contact me directly and I will add you as members to my family tree, I have done a lot of work on it.

A little more interesting info.. I have been able to connect this line of Ewings to a man who has taken the Ewing DNA test, who lives in the USA. I have more info on that if you like to. What would be grand is if you, James Ewing Thomson would also consider taking that DNA test then we would be abl to see definitively if my research has been correct. OH, that might not work, they only test Men who still maintain the Ewing last name, perhaps you have a relative with the Ewing last name who would step up to the plate for the test. I would contribute some money towards it.

Cheers
Tammy

jimmy16805 (View posts)
Posted: 12 Dec 2007 6:20PM GMT
Tammy-- thanks++ -- i have info but it is in Word Format-- cannot attach to this but will attach & send if you reply to me on jimmy@jamesthomson1.wanadoo.co.uk
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions