Search for content in message boards

"Dominickers"

"Dominickers"

Rhyannon Berkowitz (View posts)
Posted: 21 Oct 2004 9:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Goddin, Gaddin, Thomas, Simmons, Forehand
I'm trying to find information on the so-called "Dominickers" of Holmes County. They were a "mixed-blood" group of people, identified in the 1950s. Does anyone know anything more about them? According to the man who enumerated them for the USDA, common surnames were: Goddin/Gaddin, Thomas, Simmons, and Forehand.

I know that, most probably, this term is extremely racist and offensive -- please know that I mean nothing of the sort by it...I just do not know any other term to use.

Thanks!

Re: "Dominickers"

Anneta (View posts)
Posted: 22 Mar 2005 10:40PM GMT
Surnames: Thomas
I see no one replied. Or did they? I just posted as well, hoping someone would see today and maybe add some lite to the matter.

Lisa Scott (View posts)
Posted: 30 May 2006 8:17PM GMT
My mother (Genie Owen Hussey Hall) refered to neighbors being Dominickers. She said they were Indian and Spanish/black. They lived in a community called Red Bay in Walton county. More info may be found thru Walton County records.
I have alot of info on Owen and Vaughn families in the area and some on Hussey.

creekgal1 (View posts)
Posted: 18 Aug 2006 3:09AM GMT
Thanks, Lisa!

Is your mother a Hall from Holmes Co. Florida? If so, we must be related!!

DuncMcQuagge (View posts)
Posted: 6 Sep 2006 10:41PM GMT

DuncMcQuagge (View posts)
Posted: 27 Mar 2007 4:29AM GMT

familee183 (View posts)
Posted: 22 Sep 2007 7:57PM GMT
I personally know several members of the families formerly known as "Domineckers". All are contributing members of our county and Walton county. No offense taken on the term, but no one uses it anymore. Email me for more info.

CollinsLD (View posts)
Posted: 12 Nov 2007 4:10PM GMT
My mother's maiden name was Forehand. I was browsing the message board and came across this message. Do you have any information about this group? Her father's name was William Monroe Forehand and mother's name was Fannie Caroline Braxton. Thanks for any information.

AnnetaS (View posts)
Posted: 10 Dec 2007 8:20PM GMT
Surnames: Thomas
Rhy - as I found and continue to find, there is no one living who even remembers why they or their family members might have been called Dominicker. It is definitely a term NO one uses or refers to anymore. I am also finding that there are people who would prefer that no one ask about it either.

Hope you are doing well. IT's been a while.
A

JohnCBassSr (View posts)
Posted: 11 Dec 2007 7:27PM GMT
Surnames: Simmons
Go to Google and enter Dominickers and Holmes County, Fla. There was an entire community, with schools and everything. A lot of them were of Native American blood lines. A few were mixed blacks, white, and Indian. Some of my Simmons relatives were there. They were most likely Creek. They were chosen to be seperated from "regular" white folks. John IBSSG
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions