Search for content in message boards

SWITZER/MORKIN/BORRISNOE NEAR TEMPLEMORE

SWITZER/MORKIN/BORRISNOE NEAR TEMPLEMORE

Thomas A. Switzer (View posts)
Posted: 7 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: MORKIN, MORCAN, SWITZER, COSGRIFF
My GGParents were Joseph "Michael" Switzer and Margaret Morkin/Morcan/Morkan/Morken. Margaret was from Borrisnoe, Co. Tipperary, born about 1835. Joseph Michael was said to also come from Tipperary but we have no information on him later than his marriage to Maggie in Sangamon County IL 11/30/1857. Maggie was in Syracuse, Onandago, NY in 1854. After the marriage they moved St. Louis where JM Switzer worked on the river. They had children Johanna, Mary Ellen "Nellie, Catherine "Kati", Margaret Katherine(who married Joseph B. Murphy}, and Frederick Michael. Her Sister Ellen Married Martin Cosgriff/Cosgrove/Cosgrave in Borrisnoe 23 Jan 1851. Am interested in all info of any other Borrisnoe Tipperary "kin" as well.

Morcan

Tom Switzer (View posts)
Posted: 9 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Morcan, Morkin, SWITZER

Dana,

There are all sorts of generalities and guesses floating around in genealogy but they are no substitute for specifics. the first place to start is on your end. Do you know your roots? How far back do you know them? Perhaps the Welsh were more highly thought of then the Irish so it became a convenient story to say the family was Welsh? My Grandfather of Irish descent never liked to be associated with Irish and never said a thing about his roots. i happened to be the one who wondered and found out.

So, if you want to find out more, ask, research etc. on your end.

genealogy

Dana Morcan (View posts)
Posted: 9 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Morcan
My name is Dana MORCAN and I live in New Zealand.
I know a lot about my mother's family tree, but not much about my father's - whose surname is Morcan. Possibly there is a match between the Switzer/Morkin family, but I don't know. All I know is that my family are the only Morcans in New Zealand! I was told it was a Welsh surname.

Re: SWITZER/MORKIN/BORRISNOE NEAR TEMPLEMORE

lo (View posts)
Posted: 10 Dec 2002 11:38AM GMT

there use to be a shop in DUBLIN called switzers. it was there until the mid 1980s. perhaps it could be a relative!!!

Re: Morcan

danamorcan (View posts)
Posted: 31 Mar 2010 8:51AM GMT
Thanks Tom. It took me a long time to get round to this, but I have traced my family roots back to 'Tipperary', Ireland. And I for one and happy to know that my ancestors were Irish. Thx for your advice way back in 2001!

switzerT (View posts)
Posted: 1 Apr 2010 12:34AM GMT
Surnames: Morcan
Glad it worked out. Yes, that was a while ago. Did you have any luck with Griffith's valuation of 1857? It was the missing key that helped me.

danamorcan (View posts)
Posted: 2 Apr 2010 3:51AM GMT
It wasn't the missing key. I ended up ordering my great granddad's birth certificate here in NZ to see if it'd shed any light on his parents (my great, great grandparents) and where they originated from. It was there that I found out where the Morcans came from before they came to NZ. Tipperary, Ireland. But yes, I have indeed since seen that Griffith's valuation of 1857 and there are some Morcans on that as well. But not sure how closely related the ones that appear on that valuation are to me - I guess they must be kinda related though, but hard to tell... So is Switzer sort've related to the Morcan clan as well?? Sorry for my ignorance. Just starting to get into this whole family tree thing here seeing as I'm 30's now and pregnant with my first child. I want to pass down what I learn about my family history to my child, so I guess that's why I've suddenly become a lot more interested. :)

Dana Morcan
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions