Search for content in message boards

Signature of John Hodam ( Hodem, Hotam, Hothem ) in George Fultz (Voltz) Probate

Signature of John Hodam ( Hodem, Hotam, Hothem ) in George Fultz (Voltz) Probate

mallowslk19 (View posts)
Posted: 29 Aug 2011 9:24PM GMT
Classification: Will
Surnames: Hodam, Hodem, Hothem, Fultz, Voltz, Fuls, Jacke, Mallo
The George Fultz (originally Voltz) probate contains many important items for the family - most of them quite serious and helpful genealogically speaking. Eric Hedrick has given me permission to share one of the "lighter" items, from his second CD of historical records.

A little background - George Fultz was a first cousin of Michael Mallo b. 1720 and George Mallo b. 1727. He immigrated on the ship Phoenix with his cousin George Mallo - and his father-in-law, Killian Jacke, in 1750. George Fultz's signature on the German language will in the probate is close enough to that of the immigrant, Georg Voltz's, signature on the oaths of allegiance/abjuration in Strassburger and Hinke's Pennsylvania German Pioneers.

George's wife, Anna Barbara Jacke Voltz - Barbara Fultz, per the recordings, was the administrix of his estate.

Among the large probate file - with many original signatures - is a receipt from a neighbor, Johannes Hothem (signed in German). John Hodam acknowledged that he sold Barbara "Fuls" 7 bushels of rie (rye) to "still for liquor for the sale" [to distill for liquor for the vendue of her hubby!] I had previously assumed that rye mentioned on the various probate records was for bread-making . . . Liquor was commonly available at vendues (estate sales) in this time frame, but, it's worth another moment's thought, when you know that neighbor John Hodam and widow Barbara would be married shortly! Johannes Hothem arrived on the Ship Sally 29 Oct 1770 and the signature on the receipt matches that of the immigrant. (George Fultz died in early 1773)

On a sad note, the German language will, which was apparently repaired with tape several decades ago, is now in shreds and tatters. Eric was able to assemble it and digitize the assembled pages so that a true copy will survive save a few places where the tape is so darkened that the words are obscured. Great work!

Re: Signature of Nicholas Judy - Nicholas Schudy? - in George Fultz (Voltz) Probate

mallowslk19 (View posts)
Posted: 29 Aug 2011 11:02PM GMT
Classification: Will
Surnames: Judy, Schudy, Tschudi, Fultz,, Foltz, Voltz, Fults
Per Chalkley's Chronicles - see the name Nicholas Oswedy in the following:

Page 49.—10th February, 1772. George Fults's (Foltz) will—To wife. Catharine Barbara, all estate until youngest child Susanna comes to age of twelve years; to oldest son, George; to youngest son, John Phillips, infant; to daughters, Hanna. Eave, Susanna. Teste: Adam Loff, Adam Harpole, Nicholas Oswedy. Proved, 16th March, 1773 (written in the "Garman Tong" and translated by Anthony Ayler) by Adam Lock and Adam Harpole. Widow Catherine Barbara qualified with Nicholas Harpole, Adam Lock.

http://books.google.com/books?pg=PA127&lpg=PA127&dq=...

Eric Hedrick found not only the original German will but the translation as well and I have to say that the name, indeed, appears to be Nicholas Oswedy on the translation. However, on the German will, the German signature of the surname of the witness Nicholas appears to start with "Sch" and end with a "y". Nicholas Judy also is listed on the sale bill.

I have not yet come across another exemplar of Nicholas Judy's signature but I will make a note to update this if it's found to either be his for certain or if it's found to be someone else's. Nicholas Judy is said to have married one of George Fultz's daughters at a later date - and, although not a neighbor of the Fultzes, he lived not a great distance away..

Re: Signature of Nicholas Judy - Nicholas Schudy? - in George Fultz (Voltz) Probate

JeffCarr58 (View posts)
Posted: 30 Aug 2011 3:30AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Tschudi, Voltz
Nicholas Judy (Tschudi) was married to Mary Fultz(Voltz)

Re: Cipher Book of Adam Hodam

mallowslk19 (View posts)
Posted: 30 Aug 2011 4:59PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Hodam, Hotam, Hothem, Mouse, Maus, Fultz, Voltz, Jacke
This article, The Cipher Book of Adam Hodam, (in PDF format) is great reading. It mentions Johannes Hothem, the immigrant, his wife (Catharina Barbara Jacke the widow of George Voltz aka Fultz, Fults), and Phoebe Mouse - among others. The artwork is delightful and it gives an excellent historical perspective that has a broader appeal for all - not just the descendants of the families mentioned .

http://www.burlsnuff.com/img/articles/hodam.pdf

Re: Signature of John Hodam ( Hodem, Hotam, Hothem ) in George Fultz (Voltz) Probate

SherryWVGal (View posts)
Posted: 30 Aug 2011 5:00PM GMT
Surnames: Hodam, Hothem,Mouse,Voltz,Fultz
From the marriage of Johannes Hothem and Catherina Barbra Jacke Voltz Hothem, a son was born whom was called John Hodam or as our family calls him, John II. He married Phebe Mouse, a daughter of Daniel and Eva "Spiggle" Mouse. John II and Phebe were my gggg grandparents. I am very proud of my descent from these hard-working German pioneers and can only imagine the hardships they had to endure leaving their native land to journey to the rugged mountains
of what is now Pendelton Co, Wv. I did not know the story of the "rie" Thanks for posting it.
Sherry Sowards

Re: Signature of John Hodam ( Hodem, Hotam, Hothem ) in George Fultz (Voltz) Probate

fatladybug (View posts)
Posted: 8 Oct 2011 4:10AM GMT
thanks for sharing! I thought the "rye" was for bread too,LOL.... I came across the Cipher book link last night,very helpful and quite interesting... I just learned today that Adam Hodam married a second time to Amy Peck on Sept.17,1887 in Wirt County,West Va.... they are buried together in Illinois and his first wife,Eliza Ellen Grant Hodam is buried in West Va. she died in 1885. The Hodam family are my ancestors,I am a descendant of Anna Barbara Hodam Grant and Phebe Grant Smith.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions