Search for content in message boards

Buttram Nationally

Buttram Nationally

ShelbertButtrum (View posts)
Posted: 8 Mar 2010 10:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Buttram
According to the book "Kentucky Genealogy & Biography", page# 54, Descriptive And Personal, it states (under John A. Buttram)"William Buttram was a farmer, and a son of James and Gillie (Keetin) Buttram, who were of Irish and Dutch desent respectively." So I beleive that the Buttram name is Irish.

Re: Buttram Nationally

abertram10 (View posts)
Posted: 9 Mar 2010 2:02AM GMT
Surnames: BUTTRAM, BUTRAM, BUTTRUM, BUTRUM, BERTRAM
I wouldn't take the word of any one author on a subject like that because there is no easy answer. There have been Buttrams and Bertrams as many centuries back as you care to go in English history and also in Germany. Incidentally, you did not cite the author, publisher, or date of the book.

monarn1 (View posts)
Posted: 10 Mar 2010 2:47PM GMT
I am a Buttram on my father's side and am a direct descendant of Levi Buttram, brother of John. My Dad and all of his relations claim to be Northern Dutch (Dutch-German). It has been told that the original name was "Butterum". Because of a lack of literacy, there have been many variations on the name, including: Boutterum, Bertram, Butrum, Butram, Burtrum, Berttram, Buttram, etc.
J.B.

Shelbert_Buttrum (View posts)
Posted: 10 Mar 2010 11:52PM GMT
I understand your concerns, I made an error, this is where my research took me on my line of Buttram's, I found this book in the San Diego Public Library, in their Genealogy Section up stairs. I now live in Arkansas and don't have access to the book, but I did make a copy of the page. I thank you for your input and hope you keep on helping people like myself.

Posted: 11 Mar 2010 12:13AM GMT
I found the book: KENTUCKY: A HISTORY OF THE STATE, BATTLE, PERRIN & KNIFFIN, 3RD EDITION, 1885, EDMONSON COUNTY.
It is also posted on this board under: Buttram 985 Parker Keetin Johnson Wells Grant, Edmonson County.

Posted: 11 Mar 2010 12:15AM GMT
I found the book: KENTUCKY: A HISTORY OF THE STATE, BATTLE, PERRIN & KNIFFIN, 3RD EDITION, 1885, EDMONSON COUNTY.
It is also posted on this board under: Buttram 985 Parker Keetin Johnson Wells Grant, Edmonson County. Posted 20 Jun 1998 6:00am

abertram10 (View posts)
Posted: 11 Mar 2010 1:48AM GMT
Surnames: BERTRAM, BUTTRAM, BUTRAM, BUTTRUM, BUTRUM, BETRAM, BUTROM, BUTTERUM, etc.
You probably already know that anything printed, even in a book, is not necessarily correct. At best it is considered a secondary source of information, not proof. However, I am going to quote from a book, KENTUCKY KIN OF WAYNE COUNTY, published by June Baldwin Bork in 1979, Second Revison 1983. It is the preface to the section titled BERTRAM. Actually, Ms. Bork selected the excerpt from an earlier book, THE BERTRAM BOOK, compiled by Myrtle Dalton and Luther M. York, published at Jamestown, TN in 1959. The piece on the origin of the Bertram name was written by the late Marshall Bertram, Associate Professor of History at Tennessee Technological Institute.

""The name Bertram is of Teutonic origin and meant something shining. In old English the name was spelled Beorhtram and menat "Shining Raven". In surnames of Scotland by George F. Black the earlierst reference to one of our name was a Johan Bertram, burgess of Inverkelthing who rendered homage to the Scottish Kin in 1296. Other references speak of a Walter Bartram, who may have been the Walter Bertrahame, who was provost of Edinburgh in 1482. Other speling variations include Bartram, Bertrum, and Bertram.""

""In the Encyclopedia Britannica and in Who's Who, the English spelling is almost exclusively Bertram. This is also the spelling in German, but the Germans pronounce it with a gutteral accent and with a rolling of the "rs". In French the name is Bertrand and in Italian it is Bertrano or Bertrani. How our first American ancestor may have spelled it is not certain, but some of the old gravestones at Pleasant Hill [Sunnybrook, Wayne Co., KY] have the name spelled Buttram, and there are people in Tennessee who spell the name in that manner as does Pat Buttram, radio comedian.""

I believe the first ancestor to this country was shown on the ship's manifest as John Butterum, but it is believed his surname was misspelled by the ship's captain or his clerk. The ship ssiled here from England with a Captain Reynolds in charge.

There was a man named Julian Burttram who did extensive research on this subject in early European history and published a book on his findings. I have forgotten the title but will see if I can find it for you.

abertram10 (View posts)
Posted: 11 Mar 2010 5:46PM GMT
Surnames: BERTRAM, BUTTRAM, BUTRAM, BUTTRUM, BUTRUM, BETRAM, BUTROM, BUTTERUM
I just thought of another variation on the spelling of the surname among the dozens of variants. When Margaret and William Buttram's daughter, Elizabeth, married William Perly
(also spelled many ways, including Pearly) in Rowan Co., NNorth Carolina in 1776 the wedding was performed by a Dutch clergyman.

Several years ago Buttram descendant Mary Fern Souder hired a professional genealogist, Jo Lynn White, of Salisbury, North Carolina to search the records regarding William BUTTRAM, Sr. and Margaret. One of the results was the discovery of another daughter, Elizabeth, who married into the German or Dutch community in Rowan Co., N.C. in 1776. The marriage was recorded in the original diary of the clergyman, Pastor Joann Gottfried Arends, which was in the possession of the genealogist. Elizabeth's last name was recorded by the pastor as BOUTTRAM, and the marriage took place on Ebellscrick or Ebettscrik, which was the same as Abbotts Creek where Elizabeth's parents lived. This is an example of one of many ways the spelling of the surname has been altered.

ShelbertButtrum (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jun 2010 10:22PM GMT
I found this on line, under "Bertram Genealogy". John Butterum was born in 1610 in Tannington, Suffolk, England. His parents were William Butteram and Prissilla Branche. John came to America with William Reynolds in 1637. On August 15, 1637, Willian Reynolds was granted 200 acres of land in the transportation of four persons(Morris Jones, Richard Pew, John Butterum and Ann Banks) in Charles River County, Virginia (which became York County in 1642.
I believe this maybe our ancestor, the first in America. I don't know what ship he came over on, but this may answer a question or two.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions