Search for content in message boards

Millsaps, Gilliam, Guys in Watagua/Avery counties

Millsaps, Gilliam, Guys in Watagua/Avery counties

amber kelly (View posts)
Posted: 29 Nov 2006 8:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Millsaps, Gilliam, Guys
I'm looking for some Millsaps that were from the mountains of North Carolina (Watauga/Avery/Wilkes Counties) and eastern Tennessee. I'm looking for information on William Marion Millsaps born circa 1842 in Wilkes County. He married Irene Jane Love and they had several children including Eliza Millsaps Guy. Eliza was a midwife in the Beech Mt/Beech Creek community near Boone, NC.

I'm also looking for any information on a Jeff Gilliam possibly listed as Lonzo on any census. He was born in 1866 in Avery County I believe. He would have been the illegitimate son of William Marion Millsaps. Jeff married Julie Hodges. He lived with his sister Eliza Millsaps Guy on Beech Mountain after his wife died.I was wondering if anyone had any on this family. I would be glad to share any information I do have. Thanks and happy hunting...

Amber Kelly

Re: Millsaps, Gilliam, Guys in Watagua/Avery counties

Lincoln Clawson (View posts)
Posted: 12 Nov 2009 3:08AM GMT
I don't know if I have any information that you don't already have but here goes. William Marion Millsaps is my Great Great Grandfather. He had a daughter named Arizona who had a daughter named Susie Ward who is my grandmother. Susie knew her grandfather and most I heard her say was that he was a civil war vet and could use a lot of profanity. I did find a little bit about his military service. He enlisted at the age of 19 in Watauga County. He served in company D of the 1st North Carolina Calvery (the Watauga Rangers) eventuly serving with J E B Stuart in the Army of Northern Virginia. He was wounded in the battle of Brandy Station and spent about 6 months in a hospital in Richmond. I believe the date was June 9 1863. He was wounded again just before the south surrendered. I have a picture of him as an old man posing with a pistol. I have saw a picture of him at Arizona's funeral service but I don't have a copy of that one. If you have any information about Marion's parents I would be very interested to hear because Susie didn't know anything about them. Marion is buried in the cemetery on the left up on the hill about .7 mile up Beech Creek Rd from Hwy 321. My Grandmother had a sister named after Eliza. My Grandmother is still living and I have heard speak of Arizona's sister Eliza but I don't remember hearing the name Jeff Gilliam. If you have any specific questions I will be glad to ask.

ambiebac (View posts)
Posted: 13 Nov 2009 2:19PM GMT
Thanks for the information. I have spoken with my mother and she believes that Marion's parents were William Jones Milsaps and Elizabeth (I will check and see if my mother has any information about them) Jeff Gilliam was my gg grandfather and we believe that Jeff Gilliam and Eliza were half brother and sister. He was living with her when he died. Marion Milsaps and Jeff's mother were not married when he was born and we believe that she died during childbirth and Jeff was most likely raised by his mother's family. Is there any way you can scan that photo? Thank you so much for the information.

Posted: 17 Nov 2009 3:16PM GMT
I spoke with my grandmaw sunday night and asked her about the possability that Marion had another son. She said that she had been told that Marion had a son and that Marion was going to marry the mother but she passed away. She called his name Jeff and the last name sounded like Billiam but she either got the first letter wrong or I didn't hear right. She didn't know much about Jeff. She said that she thought Jeff had a daughter that tought school at Beech Mt for a while. This is interesting to me and I will ask her some more about these folks the next time I go up the mountain to visit. I always get better info in person than over the phone. It will take me a few days to track down the pictue as this is my busiest time of the year. I dont have a scanner but I will see if it works to take a picture of it and down load it. If that dont work I will get your mailing address and mail you a picture of it.
Link

ambiebac (View posts)
Posted: 21 Nov 2009 2:53AM GMT
Surnames: Milsaps, Gilliam, Guy
I have attached a picture (which you may already have) of William Marion Milsaps and Janey Love Milsaps from the Book
WR Trivett, Appalachian Pictureman by Ralph E. Lentz, II (my mother has spoken with him before and I believe he may be your cousin). I am also attaching a picture of my great aunt Clara Gilliam Phillips House who taught school at Beech Creek (this was Jeff Gilliam's granddaughter and probably who your grandmother remembers teaching school there) She is on the bottom left (Clara V. Phillips). My mother has a paper entitled "Descendants of Wm Marion Millsaps" which I believe you may have contributed to. Please confirm otherwise I can scan that paperwork into the computer and email to you. It has Marion's parents and grandparents and further on. It does note that William Marion Milsaps stated when he was 80 years old that "his father was a Cyrus McQueen" so we don't know the whole story there. Is your grandmother Susie Ward Guy Trivette? Does she remember anything about Jeff Gilliam (we believe he was raised by his mother's family but are not even sure of the mother's name b/c we believe she died maybe in childbirth). Jeff Gilliam (born May 1866) and his wife Julie Hodges Gilliam are buried at Oak Grove Baptist in Watauga County. Jeff lived with his sister Eliza Milsaps Guy (Beech Mtn.) until he died. Your grandmother may remember my grandmother (Mary Louise Gilliam). She was Jeff's granddaughter and they lived in Banner Elk. She and her 2 sisters are all still living and I can ask my grandmother and great aunts if they remember anything at all. I can email you directly if you would prefer or you can email me (ambiebac@aol.com) directly. Please let me know if you can't get the attachment pictures and I can email them directly to your email if you like. I would love to see any pictures you may have. Thanks for your help!

Amber
Attachments:

ambiebac (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jul 2010 2:45AM GMT
Surnames: Millsaps, Gilliam, Ward
I received the pictures of william marion millsaps that you sent and plan on showing them to my great aunt who remembers a lot more than my grandmother does. I know my mother has been to the cemetery up on beech mountain where he is buried so hopefully we can get up there soon. Was your grandmother's maiden name Ward or did she marry a Ward? I believe my great uncle Arlo Gilliam (would be William millsaps great grandson) married a Ward lady who was also up from Avery county. I will double check with my mother. We really enjoyed the pictures and its interesting that Jeff's Gilliam's son (Claude Gilliam-my g grandfather) does seem to look quite a bit like William Millsaps from the pictures that you sent. Again I plan on showing these to my great Aunt (the one who taught at beech mountain) to get any information or pictures that she has and will get back to you. Thank you again for the pictures!

Posted: 24 Aug 2010 4:04AM GMT
If you get the chance I would like for you to email me that paper on the decendants of William Marion Millsaps. I was browsing through the in the Libary the other day and ran across some info about the Gilliams in Watauga County. I made a note of some of the information you provided and next time I get the chance I will look more closely at what they have on file. Let me know what your great aunt thought of the picturs. It is just like an old calvery man to pose with his pistols. Wish we could find them now that would be something.
Link
clawsonl@bellsouth.net

ambiebac (View posts)
Posted: 24 Aug 2010 8:08PM GMT
Surnames: Gilliam, Millsaps, Guys, Wards
I am going to email directly to you the information that I have on the "Descendants of William Marion Millsaps" and also "Descendants of Jeff (Alonzo) Gilliam". The file was too big to post so I will email directly to you. Please let me know if you have any problems with the attachments.

I also spoke with my mother regarding who her uncle (Arlo Gilliam) was married to. He married a Katheleen Ward (Trice) who I believe was from Avery or Watauga County. Not sure if this is any of your "Wards" or not.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions