Thomas BATLEY - Fersfield

Thomas BATLEY - Fersfield

prfinitsis (View posts)
Posted: 28 Aug 2012 2:16AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Aug 2012 2:28PM GMT
Surnames: Batley, Battley,chilvers
Hi

I have been trying to find a burial record for my GGGG Grandfather Thomas Batley who lived in Fersfield, Norfolk. He was married to a Phebe Bobby (nee chilvers) in 1813 in St Andrew At Fersfield. He & Phebe had 3 children Elijah b 1815, Elias b1817 & Eliza b1819.(all born in Fersfield) Phebe died in 1843 and her death cert states that she was a widow. I have found Phebe to be living with Elias in Fersfield in the 1841 census but there is no Thomas. There are several Thomas Batley's who died in 1840 in the area however they are not my Thomas Batley. I really need to look up the parish registers from 1819 onward as I think he most probably died before 1837. Does anyone know whether they are available online yet? Or is anyone able to do a lookup for me, any help would be wonderful, as I live in Australia I am unable to go to the Records Office. Thankyou
Rose Finitsis - Australia

Re: Thomas BATLEY - Fersfield

crusoe123 (View posts)
Posted: 2 Sep 2012 7:53AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 2 Sep 2012 3:38PM GMT
Surnames: BATTLEY , BOBBY
Have you checked the one who died in 1840? How have you proved that Pheobe Bobby is the same person as Phoebe Chilvers? Her marriage is:-

BATTLEY Thomas 11 October 1813 BOBBY Phoebe at Fersfield

Deaths:-
Name: BATLEY, Phoebe
Registration district: Guiltcross
County: Norfolk
Year of registration: 1843
Quarter of registration: Apr-May-Jun
Volume no: 13
Page no: 115

Name: BATLEY, Thomas
Registration district: Guiltcross
County: Norfolk
Year of registration: 1840
Quarter of registration: Apr-May-Jun
Volume no: 13
Page no: 104

Re: Thomas BATLEY - Fersfield

rosefini (View posts)
Posted: 2 Sep 2012 10:31AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have checked the one who died in 1840, I ordered the death certificate and this Thomas is the infant son of George & Maria of Garboldisham.

There is another Thomas Batley who died in 1840 in Blofield District, but I am fairly certain that this was a Thomas Batley who lived in Thorpe and his wife was Susanna Emery.

Another one in 1844, he was the brother of the George above. Also from Phoebe's death certificate she was a widow at her death in 1843 so Thomas had already died pre 1844.

I found out that Phoebe's maiden name was Chilvers from the parish records for Fersfield that are on the FreeREG website they have been transcribed up until 1812. Phoebe was married to a Thomas Bobby on 25 Mar 1799 at Fersfield,
Bride Forename Phebe,
Bride Surname Chilvers
Bride Parish Fersfield
Bride Condition Spinster
Thomas & Phebe had one child James born at Fersfield 7 Nov 1801. Thomas Bobby also died in 1801 in Fersfield.

There is also a baptism record for a Phoebe Chilvers in Fersfield 20 Jun 1780 - Mother Elizabeth Chilvers in the notes section it says Base Born. Phebe was 63 years when she died (from her death cert) so the dates seem to fit.

Thomas Batley was also a widow at his marriage to Phoebe, he was married to an Elizabeth Mickleborough/Mickleburgh and she died in 1810 in Fersfield. They had 2 children Mary & Diana. (These records were also on the FreeREG site)

I would like to try and find Thomas's death record in case there is an age at death which would give me some idea of his year of birth. There were a lot of Batley's born in Kenninghall, Norfolk, which is close by to Fersfield and I think that my Thomas Batley may have come from there as there is a Thomas Batley born in 1766 in Kenninghall to parents Thomas Batley & Sarah Hammond. Probably hard to prove but will keep digging and see what I can find!

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions