Search for content in message boards

Chief Nimrod Smith

Chief Nimrod Smith

Gail L. Kuester (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Smith
I am Nimrod Smith's great-granddaughter and am looking for information regarding his life and family. When I lived on the reservation in 1970, I was too young to be interested in my family tree. Now I am in Minnesota and have no access to the libraries there. There is no information in this area. Thank you.

John Smith/N.J. Smith

Fay Owl Ludwig (View posts)
Posted: 29 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Blair, Crockett, Yonaguska

Here are some more facts that I didn't have time to mention that are very important. referring back to story by Thaddeus S. Smith and the research work of Peggy Lambert.

" After the days work was done John Smith would sit and tell Henry of the old Irish home, how that he was driven out because of his part in the Irish Revolution, but he would never tell his name. He told of is home, gave it's location, but he would never tell his name." Point is that Smith was not his real name, and that puts up a wall to searching anything in Ireland.

Joseph Hawkins was the uncle of Davy Crockett (See Life of Davy Crockett for verification) This is Henry Smith's wife Charlotte Hawkins' family.

Sarah/Salie d/o Yonaguska of Georgia, was first married to James Hayes Blair and four children were born. They married and removed west. Guion Miller Applications 1906-1910.

John Quincy Smith married d/o Arch Murphy and went west to Indian Territory in 1841. John Quincy Smith's family can be found on the Western Cherokee Rolls. He had thirteen children.

George Smith married Anna McMillen, non-Indian
had Texanna, Rebecca Jane, and John Q. Smith
Second wife, Fannie Nicholson, non-Indian, had children, George Lewis and Charlotte/Lottie Smith.
Third wife, Annie Littlejohn, full-blood Cherokee, no children. These are my relatives of direct descent.

Principal Chief Nimrod Jarrett Smith was described in "Myths of the Cherokees and the Sacred Formulas of the Cherokees" By James Mooney, "In person Chief Smith was a splendid specimen of physical manhood, being six feet four inches in height and built in proportion, erect in figure, with flowing black hair curling down over his shoulders, a deep musical voice, and a kindly spirit and natural dignity that never failed to impress the stranger."

Nimrod Jarrett Smith died of Bright's Disease.

If I can help with any more information, please feel free to write me and I will do my best.
Hope this will keep you busy for sometime.

Chief N.J. Smith (Tsaladihi)

Fay Owl Ludwig (View posts)
Posted: 29 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Hawkins, Timpson, McLeymore, Roberts, Blythe, Tahquettes, Blair

This information was given to me by a good friend, Peggy Lambert, Private Researcher of Eastern Cherokee Indian Genealogy. It is a story told by and written by the son of Chief Nimrod Jarrett Smith, Thaddeus Sibbald Smith. It was given to Peggy by a granddaughter of N.J. Smith, her father was Thaddeus Sibbald Smith. Mind you I am quoting only certain points to give you the information you may need to start researching your family.
"On the bleak shores of Ireland a little band of men lay hid under a corpse waiting for night to come ,and a small boat and a pre-arranged signal, 12 more refugees from the persecution of the enemy of Erin. One only do we follow, a young lad just grown, red headed, ruddy, about 5 ft. 10 in. heavy set, blue eyes. Reaching state of Georgia, he soon becomes friends with Cherokees and the old Chief Yonaguska. Yonaguska has two children a son and a daughter. The son named for his father, the daughter Salie/Sarah.
No one has asked his name at anytime.The old chief now you ask for my child to be your wife. What is your name? "John Smith" it's as good as any."

They moved to the Hiwassee River, grants for 1000 acres. (See Cherokee Co. Records of same)
Son was born named him Samuel, another son he was named William, and then a daughter named Ester/Easter, and another daughter named Sarah. And then last a son named Henry, or as he was soon named Harry.
Sarah married a Timpson
Ester/Easter married William McLeymore
Samuel moved to Alabama
William moved to middle Georgia
Henry/Harry marries Charlotte Hawkins
Move to Longridge, Cherokee Co. N.C.
Have eight sons and two daughters
Ross B married a daughter of Arch Sneed
Martha married Lacy Bigmeat
Jarrett marries daughter of Richard Roberts
Elizabeth marries Jackson Blythe
John Quincy marries daughter of Arch Murphy
Lewis marries daughter of Tahquette, Nancy
George marries Anaka
Joseph was invalid never married
Mark married Elvina Murphy
Henry Jr. married a full blood

Nimrod Jarrett Smith (Tsaladihi) born January 3,1837 near present day Murphy, Cherokee Co., N.C.

Married Mary Emmaline Roberts 1859, Union County, Tennessee. Had ten children
Cordelia, Josephine, Richard, Lotti, Lloyd, Mary, Lillie, Sibbald, Ethel, Ross.

Nimrod Jarret Snith dies on August 2,1893 and is buried on the hill( what is now by the Cherokee Cablevision) Cherokee,N.C.

He served in the Thomas Legion as first Sergeant of Comany B, Sixty-ninth North Carolina (Confederate) Infantry.

George Smith N.J.'s brother is my great-great-grandfather. His daughter Charlotte Smith Roberts was my grandmother's mother. My grandmother Callie Smith married Samuel Owl.
E

cherokee Blair's and Smith's

CHERYL (View posts)
Posted: 30 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: blair, smith
There are a group of us that work on this line together, some of us are Smith's and some Blairs. We all agreed that the love story of his Grandparents was a nice tribute, and there may even be some small clues about the family.
We would love to hear from you, contact me if you would like to share some info.
Cheryl

Re: Chief Nimrod Smith

GinaFinch27 (View posts)
Posted: 30 Dec 2001 9:47PM GMT
Edited: 7 Feb 2005 2:01AM GMT
Surnames: Smith,Rackley,Watson,Ward,
HI , I too live in MN and have no access to a good library.I"m trying to find my Great Grandmothers Cherokee Smith family. With no names or dates it's hard. All I know is her father was born in either Al or GA.. She was born and raised somewhere in AR. How's that for a lost cause? lol
Gina

Re: Chief Nimrod Smith

GinaFinch27 (View posts)
Posted: 23 Feb 2002 5:25PM GMT
Edited: 7 Feb 2005 2:01AM GMT
Surnames: SMITH,WARD,POPE,RACKLEY,WADDELL,GREEN,COLLINS
Gail,
I also live in MN and have no access to a decent library. Do you have a John SMith in your line? I'm looking for my great great grandfather.. Family stories have him as some sort of chief or subschief? All I know is that he was murdered by bushwhackers or carpet baggers sometime after the war. My great grandmother, his daughter. was born@1863 and according to her marriage license in Johnson Co.AR.1879 her parents were both dead by then. We have no info on John Smith or his wife. other than he was born in Al or GA
Gina

Re: John Smith/N.J. Smith

dsm1953 (View posts)
Posted: 21 Apr 2002 3:37PM GMT
Surnames: Smith
What is the year and location of John Smith

Re: Chief N.J. Smith (Tsaladihi)

dochartman (View posts)
Posted: 3 Feb 2003 7:02PM GMT
I am very interested in Cheif Smith's daughter, Cordelia. My great great grandmother is said to have been Cherokee. I only have photos to even suggest that this may be true. Her daughter, Minnie, had very dark skin, like her mother's. I only recently found that her last name may have been Smith. The only thing I am sure of, is that she was all or part Cherokee and she was born in Tennesee. Dates of birth and possible marriage dates are sketchy at best. Perhaps you have more information on Cordelia that may be helpful?

Regards,
Derek Hartman

Re: Chief N.J. Smith (Tsaladihi)

Gail Kuester (View posts)
Posted: 5 Feb 2003 1:02AM GMT
The only information I have on Cordelia is as follows:
Born: August 25, 1862 in Cherokee Co., NC Longridge
Died: December 12, 1901
and Married an unknown Ellis

sorry.....wish I had more on this daughter

Re: cherokee Blair's and Smith's

blaylockortega (View posts)
Posted: 20 Mar 2003 9:54PM GMT
Edited: 11 Dec 2009 6:40AM GMT
Surnames: Blair, Henson, Martin, Smith, Starritt
Hello Cheryl, I've tried to contact you before, so I'm not really sure about this e-mail address. I'm Rebecca Henson Starrett Martin's GGG Granddaughter- thru the Starrett side, by her daughter Margaret. Write me if this finds you, please, sincerely, Jill
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions