Search for content in message boards

translation

translation

mbogdan1956 (View posts)
Posted: 8 Feb 2010 1:02AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 9 Feb 2010 4:55PM GMT
HI

When I was a child, my Polish grandmother was refered to as Busha or Bushka. I always thought that was the Polish word for grandmother. My Polish daughter-in-law refers to her grandmother as Babcia. I tried a Polish English translation and found the word grandmother was Babcia. Yet, I read an article about an old Polish woman that was refered to as Bushka. Is this a regional thing? If so what area uses the word Bushka for grandmother?? Thank you, best regards. Maye B-T

Re: translation

zbigniewstettner (View posts)
Posted: 9 Feb 2010 8:12AM GMT
Hi,
It does not sound polish, and as far as I know, we do not use any similar word for grandmother. It does not resemble also any name. It is similar to russian babushka. It may also be from other language (like Ukrainian).
Zbyszek

Re: translation

mjdall (View posts)
Posted: 9 Feb 2010 5:20PM GMT
Hi,

Just like the English Grandma, Grandmom, Mom-Mom, Nana, Mee-Maw, etc., Polish has several diminutives for Babka (Grandmother). I called my Polish grandmother Babcia. I've also heard of folks referring to their grandmothers as Babci, Busia, Babusia, Babunia, Buśka, etc. It's probably a matter of copying whatever version your own mother used (or possibly a matter of chosing a different version than the "other" grandmother) more than a matter of being regional.

See this page: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Polish-Language-3388/babcia-dziad...

-MJ
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions