Search for content in message boards

john adamson and ann skute

Surname spellings

Donna Adamson Curlis (View posts)
Posted: 29 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Adamson

The reason there are probably so many spellings is that in days gone by, people copying names either spelled it like it sounded, or they were trying to decipher "chicken scratch" written by someone else. I myself am trying to find the parents of my great-grandfather, Joseph Henry Adamson. He sailed from Glasgow, Scotland around 1900. He had possibly 8 (or more) brothers, I was told, and also the family was supposedly involved in shipbuilding. He ended up in PA. Good luck in your search!

john adamson and ann skute

bryan_adamson (View posts)
Posted: 29 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 6 Mar 2003 8:04PM GMT
Surnames: adamson
I would like to find out who John Adamson's parents
> are. John married Ann Skute (various spellings) March
> 14, 1715/1716 in Haddenfield, NJ.
>
> I would also like to know if John has any siblings.
>
> I would also like to know why there is so many
> spellings for Ann Skute's last name. I have seen
> Skew, Skute, Shute, and Skuce.
>
> Thanks
>
> Bryan Adamson

John Adamson and Ann Skute

Shirleyparham (View posts)
Posted: 5 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 26 Mar 2002 5:11AM GMT
Surnames: Adamson, Shew, Skute
Bryan,
I have been researching my Adamson Line, Cynthia Ann Adamson of Indiana is my great-grandmother and saw your message of 3/29/00. Have you checked out Ancestry.com World Tree? I found my greatgrandmother pedigree there. Cynthia's father was Jesse Adamson and he had a brother John who married a Ann Skew. It give her father as Johan Skute?? Sounds like your relatives.
Shirley

Re: john adamson and ann skute

fhc3369129 (View posts)
Posted: 10 Nov 2004 3:34AM GMT
There are a few matches now on Ancenstry.com that say John's father's name was Basil. Have you been able to find out anything more? I go through that same line. My name is David Adamson, I volunteer here at the Family History Center.

JerryFAdamson (View posts)
Posted: 4 Sep 2011 11:13PM GMT
Edited: 4 Sep 2011 11:13PM GMT
Different John Adamson.
Basil's Father was John Baldwin Adamson of Montgomery Co. Maryland.
Both John Adamson's and their known children show on Researchers Database on AdamsonAncestry.com

JerryFAdamson (View posts)
Posted: 10 Sep 2011 2:49PM GMT
I have been looking for John Adamson parents for almost thirty years, Join the chase, however I don't think the answer will be found on the internet. Old fashioned search is what is needed.
The various spellings have come by numerous sources.
Quakers record disclose- SKUSE and SKUCE. Roberts book suggest SKEW. Other guess have come from speculation. SKUTE came from unsubstantiated posting on gen forum. See History in article "Ann Skute Myth" on AdamsonAncestry.com. This (1998) is the first occurrence of the name "Skute" on any postings (And it was incorrect). You will not find the name used prior to this date.
You will find that many Adamson researchers have taken the Skute misrepresentation as fact. Its too easy to use "I found it on the internet" as a source of ancestry, or link it to others miscomprehension. The bad part is that now Both Ancestry.com and familysearch.org (LDS sponsered site) use these bad posting as references. Users need to read the source disclaimers to see that the source is just another posting.
The source document for the marriage of John Adamson and the origin of the name Ann "Skuse" and "Skuce" can be found on www.AdamsonAncestry.com. Look under Pioneering Spirit of Colonist John Adamson and the Haddonfield article.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions