William A. Williams & Harriet Hood

William A. Williams & Harriet Hood

LauraLewis67 (View posts)
Posted: 11 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Nov 2001 4:20PM GMT
Surnames: Williams, Hood, Lewis
I am researching the following families:

James Hood of Howard County,MD, John Williams of Frederick County, MD (dates unknown), and Levi Lewis of Frederick or Montgomery County, m. Rebecca Windsor, d. 1812, father of Jeremiah Lewis (born 1808, m. Sarah Jane Claggett and/or Sarah E. Norwood, and died Mar 23, 1891). Jeremiah Lewis was a cabinetmaker and coffinmaker in Kemptown, Frederick County, and lived near his brother, John T. Lewis. He was the father of William Thomas Lewis (m. 1st Laura Helen Williams, and 2nd, Edna Elizabeth Hyatt). His father, Levi Lewis, apparently died young, predeceasing his own father, Jeremiah Lewis (1745-1822), who m. Jane Fitzgerald.

James Hood, reportedly born in Howard Co., was the father of Harriet Hood born Oct. 1, 1795, in Howard County, died Oct. 24, 1855,Urbana District, Frederick County, MD, and buried at Pleasant Grove M. E. Church, Fountain Mills, Frederick Co., MD.

John Williams was the father of William A. Williams, born April 26, 1787,in Urbana District, Frederick Co., died Jan. 11, 1854, buried at Pleasant Grove M.E. Church.

The will of William A. Williams (Frederick County Wills TS-1-288, probated Jan. 31,1854; Exec. James H. Williams)was witnessed by Eli Davis, Philemon H. Griffith and Eli Price.
In his will, he devises "my home farm where I now reside known by the name of Pardennership...", another tract named "Louise(?)" (difficult to read), and "Sollomans Flow'r" (Solomon's Flower). Note: "Solomon's Flower" was first patented by Solomon Turner and later owned by John Worthington, Jr.

John Williams, according to his son John T. Williams, whose biography was published in Scharf's History of Western Maryland, was reportedly one of the first John Williamses to settle in Frederick County, and of English ancestry. I do not know the names of his wife or other children, so all I can ascertain is that he died after 1787, in Frederick County.

Harriet Hood married William A. Williams about 1823.

Children:

1) James H. Williams (Mar. 9,1824-May16, 1903) m. Eveline Williams (1832-1908), d/o Samuel Williams and Catherine Lewis of Montgomery Co., MD. He owned "Solomon's Flower," and bequeathed portions thereof to his wife, Eveline, and children:

i. J. Windsor Williams

ii. John C. Williams

iii. Laura Helen Williams (m. William Thomas Lewis, a cabinetmaker and undertaker in Kemptown)

iv. Virginia A. Williams(m. ____ Davis)

v. Bettie (Elizabeth?)F. Williams (m.____ Haines)

He also appoints William T. Lewis as guardian to "my Granddaughter India P. Boyer"

2) John T. Williams, b. 1825, m. Jane Elizabeth (or Elizabeth Jane)Hendry.

3) Sarah Williams, m. Henry Spurrier

4) Basil E. Williams (might have taught school at Pleasant Grove)

5) Ann C. (or E.) Williams

Surnames associated with this Williams family include Norris (James H. Williams and Eveline are buried next to the current Charles Norris residence in Pleasant Grove, said to be an old schoolhouse), Davis, Griffith, Price, Burgee, Lewis, Hyatt and Spurrier. The closest towns are Kemptown and New Market.

Thanks in advance for any information on these families.

Laura (Watkins) Lewis

All Your Surname Connections

BruceGeibel1331 (View posts)
Posted: 19 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 1 Jul 2006 3:49AM GMT
Surnames: BURGEE, CLAGGETT, DAVIS, DAY, GRIFFITH, LEWIS, HENDRY, HOOD, HYATT, LINTHICUM, PRICE, SPURRIER
Laura, I have connections to all the surnames mentioned in your email message through Frederick County, especially New Market and Urbana District, to my BURGEE family. I will respond to you separately as well. I am particularly interested in the Williams connections.

Surnames associated with my BURGEE family include CLAGGETT, DAVIS, DAY, LEWIS, GRIFFITH, HENDRY, HOOD, HYATT, LINTHICUM, PRICE and SPURRIER. My BURGEE family also attended Pleasant Grove Methodist Church and many relatives are buried in the churchyard there. So, lets connect the dots.

Sincerely, Bruce.

Williams -- Stier

susanbuyer (View posts)
Posted: 20 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2006 4:19AM GMT
Surnames: Stier, Williams
Susannah Stier, daughter of Jacob Stier of New Market, married Thomas Williams Nov. 8, 1798 in Frederick. Any connections to be made here?

Susan

Stier/Williams

susanbuyer (View posts)
Posted: 2 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 15 Jun 2006 4:23AM GMT
Surnames: Stier, Williams
Thanks, Laura!! The Stier family was in New Market and it seems likely that the connection is there somewhere....Let's keep in otuch.

Susan

Williams-Stier Connection

Laura Watkins Lewis (View posts)
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 3:50PM GMT
Surnames: WILLIAMS, STIER
Hi, Susan

No, I haven't found a connection between Thomas Williams and Susannah Stier of Frederick yet, but the names are very familiar to me.

In researching "Partnership," the farm of my ancestor William A. Williams, I did find reference to a "Partnership" owned by William Williams (m. Barbara Owen), who styled himself "Son of Thomas." It is mentioned in his will, proved March 22, 1769. This "Partnership" was bought by him (William Williams) in partnership with Elisha Williams. In his will, he leaves a portion of this tract to his son, Thomas Owen Williams. That is the only Thomas Williams I know of who might be associated with my line.

If I learn anything more, I'll let you know.

Laura

Burgee-Williams Connection

Surnames: BURGEE, HENDRY, IJAMS, WILLIAMS
Bruce,

Thanks for your response to my query regarding William A. Williams m. Harriet Hood, and for the information you e-mailed me. I've had the time to process it now, and it was very helpful.

I now see that Jane Hendry Williams (d/o Charles Hendry, Sr., and Eleanor Burgee, and sister-in-law of my great-great grandfather James H. Williams) was a granddaughter of Jane Ijams Burgee. This has provided me at least one solid connection between the Ijams and Williams families. All of these families lived close to one another according to late-1800's maps of New Market and Urbana districts.

The will of Jane Elizabeth Hendry(d/o Charles and Eleanor Hendry, m. John T. Williams, s/o William A. Williams)was probated in Frederick County Aug. 31, 1900. It mentions a deed transfer between Jane (Ijams) Burgee (m. Singleton Burgee)and Jane E. Williams. No sale or payment was mentioned in relation to this transfer, and the two families lived near each other, which led me to think Jane Ijams Burgee might be related to Jane Hendry Williams. Your information showed this was the case.

My search is made more difficult by the fact that the farm of William A. Williams was named "Partnership," unfortunately a popular name for land tracts back then. I've found several Williams wills and deeds that mention "Partnerships" (including resurveys)in Frederick County, but haven't yet found a connection to my own Williams line.

Thanks again, Bruce. I'll send updates on the progress of my mind-bending "John and William Williams" quest to you, this board and the Old Frederick County mailing list as soon as more info becomes available. I am very grateful for any and all leads provided, even when I've not had the time to respond to people at length. With surnames such as Williams and Lewis in my line,I need all the help I can get, even if only to eliminate possibilities!

Laura

Stier/Williams

Posted: 3 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: STIER, WILLIAMS
Hi, Susan. I just found what may be another lead related to your Thomas and Susanna (Stier) Williams of Frederick County, in my huge stack of Williams info.

It is an unpublished abstract of a will, found in a hand-typed manuscript (sorry, it was found early in my search and I didn't know enough to get the title or the author's name), which includes, pp. 29-31, a section entitled
"Thirteen Williams' Wills, 1778-1818." I found it in the Williams family file at the Montgomery Co. Historical Society in Rockville, MD.

It is an abstract of the will of John Williams of Anne Arundel Co, Gent., written 19 April, 1787. He names a son, John Williams, and leaves him "Bakers Chance," "Williams Discovery," "STEIRS PARK," "Good Intent," and "Vacant Lane." He also names sons, Marmaduke, Abraham and Bryan, and daughters Sarah and Minthy. Also granddaughter Rebecca Williams (parents unidentified). It directs Colonel _____ Robosson and Joshua Cromwell to lay out 30 a. of land for testator's daughters, Minthy and Sarah. It was witnessed by Elijah Robosson, Ann Collins, William Worthington, and proved Feb. 6, 1790. Anne Arundel Co. Wills, JG#1/183-187.

On p. 30 of this manuscript is an abstract of the will of his son, John Williams, Jr., of Anne Arundel County,written June 26, 1808, and proved Aug. 6, 1808. He names Reuben Williams (underage), son of brother Abraham Williams, giving him 50 acres to be laid out on the south side of "Bond's Forest." Mention is again made of "STEIRS PARK." He also names a daughter Anne Williams (underage) and manumits Rhoda,"a negro woman." Francis Hancock was named sole executor and guardian of daughter Anne Williams. [Hancock renounced in favor of Bryan Williams.] Witnessed by Ebenezer Thomas, Mordecai Steuart and Edward Green. AA Co. Wills, JG#2/503.

Abtracts of the wills of John, Jr.'s, siblings, Marmaduke (d. 1792) and "Aminta" (d. 1810), are also provided, but neither mentions the tract "Steirs Park."

Hope this gives you some clues, however slim. I'll let you know if I come across anything else.

Laura

Hilton in Fredericktown early 1800's

00135135 (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 1 Apr 2006 4:02AM GMT
Surnames: HILTON
I am researching Hilton as well as many others in Frederick County, MD between 1820-1835 and have looking at administrative accounts. Can you tell me your connection to Hilton?

Greg Hilton
grhilton@msn.com

Stier/Hilton

Greg Hilton (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 1 Apr 2006 4:03AM GMT
Surnames: HILTON, STIER
Thanks Susan for the info. No matches right now but the information is good.

GregHilton

Stier and Hilton

susanbuyer (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 18 May 2006 8:01PM GMT
Surnames: Stier, Hilton
Descendants of William H.J. Stier

1 William H.J. Stier b: Abt. 1824
.. +A.A. Hilton m: March 24, 1844
.. 2 Amelia A. Stier b: Abt. 1848
.. 2 Sarah D. Stier b: Abt. 1844
.. 2 Ann M. Stier b: Abt. 1846
.. 2 Winfield S. Stier b: Abt. 1847
...... +Sophia C. b: Abt. 1853
...... 3 James E. Stier b: Abt. 1883
.......... +Estella E. DeFalco
.. 2 Amanda M. Stier b: Abt. 1849

I also see an E.T. Hilton on Main Street in New Market in the 1879 Frederick County maps.

Susan
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions