Search for content in message boards

Spellman/Spillane/Spellane; Midland Area, Ireland

Spellman/Spillane/Spellane; Midland Area, Ireland

janfortado1 (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jun 2004 1:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 18 May 2005 1:22PM GMT
Surnames: Spellman, Spelman, Spillane
Because some folks don't realize that Spellmans from Tipperary and Offaly could have once been Spillane or Spellane or some similar form, I wanted to post that information. My family probably originated in the parish of Aghnameadle, Tipperary, near the Offaly border. My own gggrandfather and his brother settled for a while in the parish of Dunkerrin, Offaly. The names often used included Edward (sometimes Edmond), John, Thomas, Denis, and Catherine.
My gggrandfather and one of his brothers emigrated to England in the 1840's. I would guess they changed the spelling of their name to look more British. I would be interested in corresponding with anyone who had Spellmans/Spelmans or Spillanes from Tipperary or Offaly.

Re: Spellman/Spillane/Spellane; Midland Area, Ireland

KathElaine (View posts)
Posted: 29 Mar 2005 3:43AM GMT
Edited: 18 May 2005 1:23PM GMT
I would be interested in speaking with you. My ggg grandfather came from Tipperary Ireland to USA in around 1850.

Please e-mail me and we can see if there is a relation.

Thanks,

kathy

janfortado1 (View posts)
Posted: 17 May 2005 5:42PM GMT
Edited: 18 May 2005 1:23PM GMT
Kathy, I can't recall if I ever answered this message on the board or not. My email address is janfortado@comcast.net
I have been focusing on the Aghnameadle parish area of Tipperary, but the townlands of Knockanroger, and Clouncannon, near or in Borrisnafarney parish probably had family members too. Later on, some of this extended family went to the Nenagh area. Could you tell me more about your family names, please? Jan

KathElaine (View posts)
Posted: 17 May 2005 5:52PM GMT
Edited: 18 May 2005 1:24PM GMT
Surnames: Spelman, Ford
Jan, we did speak about a few months ago. All I know at this time is that John Mortimer Spelman was born in Tipperary about 1820 - he also had a brother or cousin named Leonard Spelman. Both Spelman's married Ford women. The Ford's were from Galway - parish of Kilconnel. My Spelman can over sometime during the late 1840's - I first pick them up on the 1850 census in New Barbadoes, Hackensack, Bergen Co., NJ. I think we were spoke you were more concerned with Spillane - I don't have any records at this point leaning to the Spillane - I would appreciate any information or direction you could give me with regard to the Spelman's about 1820 in Tipperary. I haven't started using Ireland records yet. I thought that maybe I would contact a Heritage Center.

Hope to hear from you.

Kathy

bryspell87 (View posts)
Posted: 11 Apr 2006 3:13AM GMT
Edited: 11 Apr 2006 3:25AM GMT
Surnames: Spellman, Ryan

My ggg-grandfather immigrated to the US around 1850 his name was John. Im pretty sure he had three brothers named Michael, James and Philip, but i cant be certain. John was born 1835 and his death record lists his parents as being John Spellman, and Mary Ryan but im not sure how accurate that is. He setteled in Newburgh, NY on the hudson river. Does Any of this match your info.

Thanks,
Bryan

janfortado1 (View posts)
Posted: 11 Apr 2006 11:36PM GMT
I am trying to connect to extended family so do not have information that would indicate your folks are the same family. I have seen all three names used with the Spillanes, though. It seems to me that the Spillanes were from Co. Tipperary and then some wandered into Offaly. When my own ggrandfather emigrated to England, he changed the name to Spellman. That could be the case with your family, or your family could have been named Spellman. I believe the Spellmans settled pretty much in the Roscommon, Sligo, Mayo, and Galway areas. It is possible that a Baptismal or a marriage record exists for your family as many records go back as far as the 1830's, although some parishes began keeping records in the 1850's. I suppose you could find where the names Ryan and Spellman were found - which counties. If you had some extra money on hand, you could pay for a search at two or three of the heritage centers. That can be pricey, though. If you want to email me, I can be reached at janfortado@comcast.net

Momma7075 (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jul 2009 8:31PM GMT
I am the granddaughter of James Spillane changed to Spellane when he came to the USA. He was from the Tipperary/Offaly area. His parents were Bridget McDonaugh and Michael Spillane and his ggrandparebts were Mary Dwen and Edward Spillane All were born in the 1800'Please feel free to contact me at momma7075@aol.com
Jane Spellane Fasone

cbquiller1 (View posts)
Posted: 4 Sep 2009 7:35AM GMT
Surnames: Spellman
Hello momma7075, My husband found a bible in New York City with the names of James Sydney & Anna Spellman engraved on the front. This bible is very very old and is crumbling apart. Inside is recorded their 8 children, only 2 survived past 2 years old. The 2 that survived were James Sydney Spellman born August 22, 1851 and Josephine Spellman born August 16, 1850. Josephine Spellman married James Johnson Smith on October 6, 1867 and they had 7 children. Please email me at cbquiller@netzero.com if this is a relative. I want to send this book to the persons who is related to James Sydney Spellman & Anna Spellman. There is also death reports clipped from the newspaper of James Sydney Spellman dying in a fire on Bleeker Street in New York leaving his 11 year old son and daughter to mourn him. He was a fireman from Fire Patrol Company #1 of the Daniel Carpenters Lodge #643. There is also a death write-up for Anna Spellman who died at age 41. The paper stated that they lived at #81 MacDougal Street New York. Let me know please. May God bless you.

cbquiller1 (View posts)
Posted: 4 Sep 2009 7:37AM GMT
Surnames: Spellman
Hello momma7075, My husband found a bible in New York City with the names of James Sydney & Anna Spellman engraved on the front. This bible is very very old and is crumbling apart. Inside is recorded their 8 children, only 2 survived past 2 years old. The 2 that survived were James Sydney Spellman born August 22, 1851 and Josephine Spellman born August 16, 1850. Josephine Spellman married James Johnson Smith on October 6, 1867 and they had 7 children. Please email me at cbquiller@netzero.com if this is a relative. I want to send this book to the persons who is related to James Sydney Spellman & Anna Spellman. There is also death reports clipped from the newspaper of James Sydney Spellman dying in a fire on Bleeker Street in New York leaving his 11 year old son and daughter to mourn him. He was a fireman from Fire Patrol Company #1 of the Daniel Carpenters Lodge #643. There is also a death write-up for Anna Spellman who died at age 41. The paper stated that they lived at #81 MacDougal Street New York. Let me know please. May God bless you.

Jan Fortado (View posts)
Posted: 6 Sep 2009 12:51PM GMT
I was alerted to your posting because I began the line of queries connected with your reply. You are very kind to try to look for the family. Generally speaking, the Spellmans/Spelmans were from the Sligo/Roscommon/Galway/Mayo area. The Spillanes were from the Tipperary/Offaly area. Some Spillanes who emigrated to England changed their name to Spellman/Spelman, and on rare occasions you see a Spellman in Tipperary. If this family emigrated from Ireland, chances are great they came from one of the four counties I mentioned. There were also families from Germany who had a name similar to Spielman, but in the US the name became Spellman. I wonder if James and Anna were born in the US or in Ireland. I hope there is someone from this family who is doing family research.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions