Search for content in message boards

bentley-Bemus- Shaw-Suton

bentley-Bemus- Shaw-Suton

SKosciuch (View posts)
Posted: 11 Apr 2012 2:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Shaw- Bentley- Sutton- Bemus
I need information After looking at Arnold Barber Shaw's civil war records. It states his Mother was Lucy Bentley but the type written says Phurens K Shaw for his father if you read the hand written record it looks like Phinius K Shaw. Now I know Lucy Bentley was born Stephentown Rensselear Co. NY about 1804 married Horace Nurse Bemus sometime in Ellington Chautauqua Co in late 1820's . Arnold Shaw born 1824 in Stephentown. She is the only Lucy Bentley that was in both Locations and at an age to have been his Mother. Arnold Shaw lived next door to Lucy Bentley Bemus in Ellington 1850 and 1860. by 1860 Horace Bemus her husband had died. Arnold Shaw had Horace Bemus father Zenas Bemus and Eve Bemus living with his family. Arnolds in-laws the Davis family was just down the street. Judith Davis Shaw his wife died 1868. Arnold Shaw was married to Eliza Jane Sutton in Jamestown 1869. 1870 I can not find Lucy Bentley Bemus or Arnold Shaw or his daughters Laura A.Shaw b. 1845 Jane A. Shaw born 1847 in Ellington. They were still listed in Ellington NY state census for 1865. I believe that Lucy and Horace Bemus youngest daughter Sarah Jane married a William H Sutton. Arnold Shaw married a Eliza Jane Sutton.( Is there a connection between them?) I do find a William H Sutton and Sarah J in Eau Clare Wisconsin in 1870-1880 ages fit and both are born in NY they also have a Lucy Clark living with them listed as M-I-law. age fits Lucy Bentley Bemus. Also Lucy Bemus son Zenas Bemus and wife Olive are there in Wisc. Phineas Shaw from Alfred Allegany Co NY ( born Stephentown Rennselear Co 1803)his Brother Benjamin Shaw has been in Wisconsin for about 15years.
I need a marriage date for Lucy Bentley and Horace Bemus.
I need to find out if Lucy married a Clark in Chautaqua before her move to Wisc. web sites don't give a location for her death just a date of 1880. I have looked for Arnold's parents for almost 15 years. I have so much information on this family but no parents for him I just need some help with look ups I am located in SC a trip to Ellington would be impossible
Tnx for your time
Sherry K

Re: bentley-Bemus- Shaw-Suton

jtpriest (View posts)
Posted: 11 Apr 2012 4:46PM GMT
Surnames: Bemus
Horace Bemus died in August of 1858. The Order of Administration, dated 31 August 1858, calls out 4 children.
Franklin, age 19, Sarah, age 12, Eliza Debains (wife of Joshua) and Zenas. There is also a Henry Bemus in Waterboro Hill Cemetery who is listed as the son of Horace and Lucy (Bentley) Bemus. However, there is no mention of an Arnold. Is it possible that Horace and Phineas were brothers?

SKosciuch (View posts)
Posted: 11 Apr 2012 9:05PM GMT
Thank you so much for your reply.
No I have this informationProbate court proceedings for estates of deceased persons who did not leave wills. for Horace Bemus.
I guess I didn't explain the convoluted missmash very well?
Arnold Barber Shaw states that his Mother was Lucy Bentley and father it looks more like Phinius K Shaw on the written doc. I know Lucy Bentley was born in Stephentown the same year that a Phineas K Shaw was. Arnold was born in Stephentown in 1824.
New York, Town Clerks' Registers of Men Who Served in the Civil War, ca 1861-1865 about Arnold Barber Shaw
Name:Arnold Barber Shaw
Birth Date:12 Mar 1824
Birth Place:Steventown Mass
Father:Phurens K Shaw
Mother:Lucy Bentley
Residence Place:Ellington, New York
Enlistment Date:5 Sep 1862
Enlistment Location:Ellington, Chautauqua, New York
Regiment:9th Cavalry
Company:H
Race:White
Marital Status:Married
after reading the hand written doc it doesn't look like Phurens it looks like Phinius to me. then this below

1860 United States Federal Census about Arnold B Shaw
Name:Arnold B Shaw
Age in 1860:36
Birth Year:abt 1824
Birthplace:Massachusetts
Home in 1860:Ellington, Chautauqua, New York
Post Office:Ellington
Value of real estate:View image
Household Members:Name
Judith Shaw 36
Laura A Shaw 14
Jane A Shaw 13
Cynthia L Shaw 10
Zenas L Bemus 81
Eve Bemus 59

John Davis is also on this census he was Arnold Shaw's father-in-law Zenas Bemus in this census is Horace Bemus father. Horace as you said had already died. Lucy Bentley Bemus is living next door to Arnold Shaw.
I need to find a date for Lucy and Horace mar. Either Lucy Bentley was married before Horace to A Phinius Shaw or had a child out of wedlock. NO other Lucy Bentley's were in the locations or of the age group to have had a child Arnold Shaw in 1824 in Stephentown. Also Lucy's Father Eldred Bentley was still in Stephentown in 1820 but in 1830 he was in Chautauqua co.

1820 United States Federal Census
about Eldred Bentley
Name: Eldred Bentley
[Eldred Benlley]
Home in 1820 (City, County, State): Stephentown, Rensselaer, New York
Enumeration Date: August 7, 1820
Free White Persons - Males - 10 thru 15: 1
Free White Persons - Males - 16 thru 25: 2
Free White Persons - Males - 45 and over: 1
Free White Persons - Females - Under 10: 3
Free White Persons - Females - 10 thru 15: 2
Free White Persons - Females - 16 thru 25: 2
Free White Persons - Females - 26 thru 44: 1
Free White Persons - Females - 45 and over : 1
Number of Persons - Engaged in Agriculture: 2
Free White Persons - Under 16: 6
Free White Persons - Over 25: 3
Total Free White Persons: 13
Total All Persons - White, Slaves, Colored, Other: 13

1830 United States Federal Census
about Eldred Bentley
Name: Eldred Bentley
Home in 1830 (City, County, State): Ellington, Chautauqua, New York
Free White Persons - Males - 5 thru 9: 1
Free White Persons - Males - 20 thru 29: 1
Free White Persons - Males - 60 thru 69: 1
Free White Persons - Females - 15 thru 19: 2
Free White Persons - Females - 20 thru 29: 2
Free White Persons - Females - 50 thru 59: 1
Free White Persons - Under 20: 3
Free White Persons - 20 thru 49: 3
Total Free White Persons: 8
Total - All Persons (Free White, Slaves, Free Colored): 8

Notice the 1830 census has one male child 5-9

Tnx so much for your time Sherry

djyj (View posts)
Posted: 26 Apr 2012 6:56PM GMT

I have a family bible for a John Shaw from the Ellington area. However, I find no mention of any of the Shaw names you have listed.

SKosciuch (View posts)
Posted: 28 Apr 2012 2:15PM GMT
Tnx so much for your reply.
I have never been able to place Arnold Shaw with any of the Shaw families from Chautauqua Co NY either. But finding the info I did was a real break thru

tnx again
Sherry
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions