Search for content in message boards

Baby boy kidnapped in Indian raid ca. 1852 and recovered about five years later

Baby boy kidnapped in Indian raid ca. 1852 and recovered about five years later

Afamilyhound (View posts)
Posted: 20 Apr 2011 12:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Johnson, Lemaster, Cisco
My gr gr grandfather was kidnapped in an Indian raid in Kentucky ca 1852. He was born in 1850 and the only info I have is he was about 1 1/2 or 2 at the time. I believe they lived at Caney Creek in Letcher Co., but am not certain. He was rescued when he was about six years old and by that time his mother was gone and his father had died (we believe in the raid). A family by the names of James and Louisa Johnson adopted him(informally) and named him Absolam Johnson. His mother was later found and because he was so attached to the Johnson's and had been through so much she made the difficult decision to let him stay with the Johnson family. She lived nearby and I have one letter from her to her son signed Elisebeth LeMaster. A death certificate says her maiden name was Cisco. She is widowed and mentions Flem Lemaster and his parents who are kind to her. I am trying to find out my gr gr grandfathers original name, what Lemaster Elisebeth was married to, the name of his father who was killed, and about this Indian raid. If anyone has anything to share or some guidance I would appreciate it more than you know. Would someone point me in the right direction as far as finding out about Indian raids at that time and where to find the info, such as newspapers? There might be something not only when he was abducted, but I would think his rescue would have been news also. Thank you and good luck everyone.

Re: Baby boy kidnapped in Indian raid ca. 1852 and recovered about five years later

DaughterofDAR (View posts)
Posted: 2 Dec 2011 6:50AM GMT
I don't believe that the Indians were raiding the white people in Ky. 1852. Are you sure it wasn't just a kidnapping? The late 1700s were when the Indians were a problem in that area. After 1800 all that changed. I had a family in my line that was attacked by the Indians about 1790.

Re: Baby boy kidnapped in Indian raid ca. 1852 and recovered about five years later

dhgback (View posts)
Posted: 10 Dec 2011 4:25AM GMT
Surnames: Baby boy kidnapped in Indian raid
I would refer you to Mr. Stephen Bowling in Jackson, Breathitt County, Kentucky. He has spent most of his adult life investigating the history of Eastern Kentucky, primarily Breathitt county. I am sure his knowledge of the history of Eastern Kentucky or his knowledge of others who share his passion would be of help to you in your search. I believe simply a Google search of Stephen Bowling would be a good starting place.
Good luck.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions